Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
THANKS STEVE, BUD AND MARK (Read 703 times)
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

THANKS STEVE, BUD AND MARK
Nov 29th, 2009, 10:15am

Thanks to Steve,Bud and Mark for riding with me on what had to be the slowest MPH average 200k I have ever done. I have riden longer 200k's before but that was for other reasons. Yesterdays ride was because of my stress fracture( left knee) not yet fully healed. I had to ride in tennis shoes so I would not push too hard.I didn't what to set my self back too much.  

I had not ridden in two weeks and had only ridden 3 times in the past month. The othro doc. didn't want me to ride yet, but the P.T. and I worked out a way for me to keep my second R12 going. I was to ride in tennis shoes so as not to push to hard and I was to walk any big hills. I was to spin low gears all day. I knew that this was going to be slow. I was hoping to be done in 10 hours, but spinning into the headwind for the first 70 miles made it even slower. I did walk one of the hills, I started to fell sharp pain and got off the bike and walked to the top of the hill.

I felt so bad to be holding up 3 of the strongest Rando guys I know, but it was no surprise to me that all 3 were very supportive all day I got the ride done in 10:55 mintues and the R12 is still alive,but Decmbers 200k  will need to wait until late Dec. I will stay off the bike a couple of more weeks, before I start training for Sebring 24 hour race in Feburay.  

I'm swimming 1.5 miles 4 days a week that's my only cardo. I see the Ortho doc. on Dec. 8 I'm hoping he will release my to start riding again.

Thanks agian to some of the greatest guys I know.Steve,Bud and Mark . kiss kiss XOXOXOX

PS I know that ther were many  emails exchanged to find a route that they thought I would be able to ride.
                                                  Thanks again.
                                                  Pedalin Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: THANKS STEVE, BUD AND MARK
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2009, 3:25pm

Congrats Peggy.  You add yet another definition to "Ride like a girl!"

I'll probably be joining you for an R-12 keep-alive ride in late December, I am off the bike for a bit (otherwise I would have joined you for the slog yesterday).

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2009, 4:52pm

Good job, Peggy! How does the leg feel today?

We left Lynn Creek Marina at 7:00 am, and the wind was already blowing hard, so we knew already that we were in for a tough wind day. Sure enough, the further south we got, the harder the wind blew. A lot of the county roads this route uses have lots of trees to block the wind, but it was still a lot of southbound riding the first 70 miles, and the open stretches from Maypearl to Italy were brutal. We were all glad to see the Italy control.

The route turns northeast out of Italy down SH 34, so there was a quartering tail wind, then it turns mostly straight north, so it was a great tail wind most of the rest of the way.

One of the nicest things about an easy pace 200k is that you get to converse more, and we took advantage of that, laughing and cutting up most of the ride.

In retrospect, a route that didn't finish on Lake Ridge Parkway might have been a better choice. The traffic at almost dark thirty on a holiday weekend Saturday evening was a bit much for me.

But we all finished safe and sound, with the main worry being about how Peggy's leg would feel today. The Oasis had great food, as usual, although we saw a cockroach there that was so big, I thought it was going to carry Peggy off.

Thanks for inviting me along, y'all, I had a great time! Take care of that leg, Peggy. The easy pace ride was great fun, but I won't gripe at all when you drop me like a bad habit next time. In fact, I'll have a big smile on my face, knowing you're back to yourself.

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2009, 6:43pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2009, 5:38pm

I was so proud of Peggy, she never got down(I know the slower pace had to be killing her), but she persevered & got it done(200k). I can't say enough positive things about Bud & Mark Metcalfe. Both had better things to be doing on a Saturday besides riding with us, I'm sure.  

Yeah, the wind was a beat down for a while, but that tailwind on Hwy 34 heading to Avalon form Italy was awesome. 26+ mph & I was barely pedaling.  

Peggy's leg is a little sore today, not too bad. She doesn't need to be riding any longer rides for a little while(yes, Bryan-we all need to ride together at the end of December-a regular M*A*S*H unit).

Kinda funny that we we say the monster cockroach at the Oasis, how three consecuative booths of dining guests almost immediately got up & left(including us).

There was actually smoother roads on this route. I was estimated a rough(pun intended) estimate of 10+ miles of chip seal. That was a very nice switch.  

Lake Ridge Parkway at dusk on a Saturday evening was a scary. Man that stretch seems it takes forever. You see the first bridge & think you're done. Nope, 3-4 miles more to go.

An epic ride, with great friends/food & one un-invited cockroach.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2009, 10:01am

Peggy you are simply amazing, and possibly a little daft  Grin.  I can't fathom doing a 200k on a bentin tennis shoes.  Hope you're feeling fine today!  I stand in awe!   Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print