Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 11:33pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bent Up Cycles - Aero Bag review (Read 5678 times)
AustinSkater

Bent Up Cycles - Aero Bag review
Nov 28th, 2009, 8:36am

I recently replaced added a Bent Up Cycles Aero Bag to my Corsa, replacing the home made "speed" bag that I've used all Summer.  Here is my review.

Pros:

Capacity.  While most mfgs love to list the capacity of their bags in Cubic Inches, that doesn't help unless you've measured everything.  After yesterday's ride I emptied my AB and discovered what it will really hold.

Riding jacket
    Arm and leg warmers
    Skull Cap
    Balaclava
    Gloves and glove liners
    Spare tire (650c Gatorskin)
    Bicycle pump
    CO2 pump and 2 cartridges
    2 spare tubes
    Tube patch kit
    Tire levers
    Tire boots
    Small bicycle multi-tool
    Rear derailleur cable (tandem length)
    2 Cliff Bars
    1 small rock ??
    Wallet and Cell phone

Clearance.  I tend to have my seat laid back, which is why I can't use any of the Bachhetta bags without rubbing the tire.  I had plenty of clearance with the AB

Zippers.  The AB has dual zippers, unlike other bags which only have one that must be run all the way to the front edge of the bag.  I prefer that style.

Safety.  The AB comes with a reflective strip around the bag, another good feature.

Removeable bags.  The AB has an internal velcro strip and comes with two small zippered bags that can be used to hold tools, wallets, etc. for easy access.

Cons:

No Mesh pocket.  I use speedplay pedals, and every other bag I've tried has external mesh pockets that are perfect for storing cleat covers in, so you don't have to open the bag to get to them.  Time to get out the sewing kit.

No hose feed through.  For those who prefer bladders instead of bottles, you would have to leave the zippers open a little to let the hose out.  I am one of those who prefers the bladders so I can drink while descending.

The Jury is still out on:

Side bottle pockets.  The main feature of the AB is the two side pockets for holding bottles.  Due to the location of my light bar I cannot place the bottles into them while riding, so I am not sure how useful they are without seat mounted bottle holders as well.  Having the ability to carry four bottles is good, I'd just have to stop and swap at some point.  Those pockets could be used with a bottle sized tool pouch.

Overall construction.  The AB looks good out of the box, let's see how it looks after a full riding season.

Cost.  It is a bit pricey ($139 plus shipping), but it let's me carry what I need for the winter season without having to change my seat position, so for me it is worth it.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Bent Up Cycles - Aero Bag review
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2009, 5:12pm

I have one AB that I switch between my Carbent and Corsa. Increased its capacity by removing the plastic stiffener in the top. The bag is silent on the Carbent, but bounces against the back of the carbon seat pan on the Corsa (Problem could be probably solved by installing some Velcro). I like the bag a lot more than the giant brain bag I used to have on the Corsa. In my opinion it is just the right size and looks great.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2009, 9:58am

My pink bag is the first run of the Aero bag.  I definitely like it much more than most bags I've tried, including the brain bag.  It's theoretically smaller than the brain bag but with the design of the bag I feel like I can fit more into it.  It's certainly more accessible.

It's designed to be a race bag, not a rando bag.  If you use the bottle holders, I recommend just using it to swap out a bottle on the bike instead of trying to get it in and out, but it's still not much fuss.  That's why there's no pockets.  I love the dual zippers for sure.  Shouldbe as durable as anything else since it's essentially the same material.

Bryan, if you like the bladders, as I do, many of us use the fastback LS for them insteadof our rear bags.  The bikes seem to like the weight there anyway, and it frees up a lot of bag space too.

I will keep using my brain bag as my winter/rainy bag, and my BU bag in the dry summer - that way I keep it looking fresh and neat.  I'd hate to get mud over my nice pink gear!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2009, 3:21pm

Bryan, as you know, I really like the look of the AB(and excellent write-up). I'm considering either the AB or Angletech  Aeropod. Both are pricey. I was curious as the fit of the AB, if it's not a snug fit(like the brain box), that could sway my decision.

The Brain box on the CA2.0 does NOT have much clearance.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2009, 4:51pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Nov 30th, 2009, 3:21pm:
Bryan, as you know, I really like the look of the AB(and excellent write-up). I'm considering either the AB or Angletech  Aeropod. Both are pricey. I was curious as the fit of the AB, if it's not a snug fit(like the brain box), that could sway my decision.

I saw one write up on it stating that it was a bit loose on a carbon seat, and the owner solved that problem with Velcro, so I'm guessing that it's not snug.  If you bring a carbon seat to the Christmas party, we can check the snugness then (or you could borrow it between now and then and drop it on your bike)

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2009, 5:00pm

That's right, I was thinking you had the the AB on the carbon seat, but it was the Euro-mesh seat.  I really like the bottle holders(and I don't using a bladder to drink from)on the AB.  

I won't be able to bring a carbon seat to the LSR X-mas party, the carbon seat you were using is out on loan.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2009, 5:44pm

Most carbon seats are narrower than the Euromesh. My CCK is quite a bit narrower. So, you can expect a more loose fit. Even with my Euromesh, I added velcro to my brain box so it wouldn't slip.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2009, 7:11pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Nov 30th, 2009, 5:44pm:
Most carbon seats are narrower than the Euromesh. My CCK is quite a bit narrower. So, you can expect a more loose fit. Even with my Euromesh, I added velcro to my brain box so it wouldn't slip.

I hate slippage.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2009, 7:33pm

The AB is a fairly snug fit on the Bacchetta carbon seat. Snug enough to prevent lateral movement of the bag. However, it is not snug enough to prevent the bottom from swiveling slightly (the back end of the bag moves vertically about 1/2 inch). On rough pavement the plastic sheet-reinforced bottom repeatedly hits the back of the seat and makes a noise. May not be objectionable to some, but it is to me. I plan to install velcro to stop it from swiveling.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2009, 9:45pm

While you hold out for an AB you can try out that aeropod I used to use on rando rides if you like. If Ray is going to the holiday LSR party I could try and guilt him into bringing along for you to borrow for a while and try out. If he isn't we can figure something else out as I have a few days off coming and might head out for a little trip in your direction on the hurricane.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2009, 11:05pm

Quote from evblazer on Nov 30th, 2009, 9:45pm:

While you hold out for an AB you can try out that aeropod I used to use on rando rides if you like. If Ray is going to the holiday LSR party I could try and guilt him into bringing along for you to borrow for a while and try out. If he isn't we can figure something else out as I have a few days off coming and might head out for a little trip in your direction on the hurricane.

EV, that' s right, Ray has a carbon seat with the aeropod.  I'll have to ask his thoughts of the aeropod on the carbon seat. The downside(besides the price) is that the aeropod doesn't have the exterior bottle holders.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2009, 8:35am

I really like the look of the Bentup bag with the bottle holders, not so much the pink though.  I tried out Greg's against my Barcroft at the TTTs and it looked like it would do well, whereas a brainbag will hit the rear wheel.  I have a carbon seat mounted on the Corsa at the moment, and the brainbag is hitting the wheel there as well.  For a brevet it looks like about the right size. -- Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print