Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 6:27pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Probably going to sell the Barcroft Oregon (Read 563 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Probably going to sell the Barcroft Oregon
Nov 12th, 2009, 8:31pm

Hi Folks,  

Going to be cleaning up and de-nelso-fying my Barcroft Oregon in the next week or so.  I love so much about this bike, but after giving it a fair shake of about 1200 miles I'm about ready to conclude I'm not going to be able to solve the knee pain issues I get on any ride over @40 miles or so.
I'm reasonably convinced that one of the things I first liked has turned out to be my nemesis, and that is the more closed pedaling position and greater seat to BB differential.  It seems to put more pressure on my knees, and for the first time I'm having issues with them.  One week back on the Bacchetta's and my knees are all better.  I'll be taking a few pictures when I get it cleaned up, but if anyone is interested before I start marketing it in earnest drop me line.  I had really hoped to combine both my speed bike and my commute bike into one, and it was really Oh so close to happening.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Probably going to sell the Barcroft Oregon
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2009, 10:31pm

nelson, you think that q-factor is an issue?  You're welcome to try my pedal extenders....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Probably going to sell the Barcroft Oregon
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2009, 8:07am

I've thought about trying some, but surprisingly the Q-factor now is already wider than the Bacchetta's despite being a double rather than the triple that is on the Corsa and Strada.  Not sure what effect going wider would do but it might help.  The Seat to BB ratio is some 4.5" or so more than the Bacchetta, leading to more closed position even with the seat fully reclined (which yields the same seat angle as I have set on the Bacchetta's - 25 degrees).  The other main differential is that the FWD definitely causes the area around the seat mast to be wider, and although the occaisional brushing hasn't caused any issues I'm aware of its possible I unconsciously spread my knees a bit wider and cause strain that way.  After reading some last night this is indicative of ITB issues, and I know I have some muscle imbalance and need to stretch.  It could just be the position highlights an upcoming problem on all my bikes I need to take action to forestall.  Going to add some easy stretching back to the routine, and plan to get to the gym this winter and work on muscle balance issues.  Also I may go see the Petty's ART practicioner.  --maybe this thread belongs in another category - sorry.  Anyway I'm not in a rush to sell.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print