Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 3:29am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rans V rex (Read 4785 times)
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Rans V rex
Nov 4th, 2009, 3:27pm

I've been looking for something as a upgrade to the CG. The V rex seems to fit the bill  but I wanna hear the good, the bad and the ugly. I would also like to stay away from comparing other bikes. let's just peel this apple.  

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Rans V rex
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2009, 9:05pm

I have one, if you'd like to try it out.  It's a solid comfortable bike that is versatile enough to be anything you want it to be.  It can be a commuter, randonneuring bike, a touring bike, or a fast club rider.  What's not to like?  There's a reason it's still a aviable design after all this time.

The only downsides are the weight and the small front wheel.  I've still managed to do 200ks and even a 300k on it, even hilly stuff, but rough road and potholes make you wary of the small wheel.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2009, 7:56am

Thanks for the reply. For a swb it is very stable and hill friendly ( I hate going up). The CG does almost everything i ask it to, i have to debate why i want to change.  

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2009, 3:12pm

Quote from johnnybent on Nov 6th, 2009, 7:56am:
i have to debate why i want to change.

Because the correct number of bicycles to own is n+1 where n id the number of bicycles you currently own. Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2009, 4:15pm

For me my old CG Falcon reminded me of a 60s Lincoln.  It was big smooth, fun in it's way but not nimble by any stretch.  A vrex or giro is nimble around town.  While I love my other bikes, I still keep thinking about getting one or the other as a knock around bike.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2009, 1:09am

I had a V-Rex, sold it, and almost immediately regretted letting it go.  Like many others who have been down that road, I eventually decided to buy another one.  I bought the new one used (there are lots of them out there), and then had it fitted with S&S couplers.  Now, it's my go-anywhere, do-anything bike.

The V-Rex is a design that just seems to work fairly well for just about any kind of riding.  There are other bikes that are better in one way or another, but I can't imagine a bike that is overall as versatile.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2009, 8:13am

John neglected to update that, since he started this post thread, he has purchased Lynn Morrow's red "multi-sourced" hiracer...  and discovered the rolling difference going from 20" to 26" wheels...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2009, 9:31pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 24th, 2009, 8:13am:
John neglected to update that, since he started this post thread, he has purchased Lynn Morrow's red "multi-sourced" hiracer...  and discovered the rolling difference going from 20" to 26" wheels...   Smiley

Hopefully his was a better rolling ride. I noticed a better rolling ride when I changed bikes and tires sizes with the same model tires. 26 to 20 for me though  Smiley

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009, 9:32pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2009, 8:52pm

I been kicking tires on bent for 6 months now. Thanks to the folks of city cyclist i was able to try the rex and easy racer but i leaned to the rex. I was still undecided. Lynn offered her ???? high racer. I took it for a cople of weeks and decided to get it.  I liked the stablity this bike had, a no hander. It is also a good paceline bike where i didnt worry about the front wheel bumping the guy in front.  It also had thumb shifters, something i havent played with since down tube shifters. I was suprized how easy they were to used compared to twist shifters.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2009, 8:41am

So now you've got that hiracer AND an XStream?  How big IS this apartment of yours, anyway????    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2009, 8:55am

Wellll....Have you ever been in a small airplane? A few older DF's will have new owners in the future.  So glad they didnt make me buy my own tuba in college.

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2009, 8:58am by johnnybent »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print