Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 11:27am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power meter (Read 874 times)
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Power meter
Oct 28th, 2009, 9:37pm

After a lot of hand-wringing research, I'm springing for a crank-mounted power meter. Couldn't find a decent, relatively inexpensive 165mm crankset that would work correctly so sprung for a Lightning 165. I tried to move up to a 170mm for many more cheaper options but that slowed my cadence and stressed my kness too much. Had to write off a triple, but there were only a few places I needed the baby ring. Unfortunately every day climbing my hill is one of them so I'll apparently be walking my hill from now on and maybe going to an 11-34 :^). Anyone have experience with different ANT+ heads? I'm thinking I'd try the Garmin Edge 500 that's coming out RSN even with my horrible experiences with Garmin last year. Just not much else out there right now. Thought about trying the new Specialized ANT+ head but read so many unfavorable comments about the old version that maybe I don't want to deal with it. Comments?

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Power meter
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2009, 10:07pm

Hi Kent,  

did you have a power meter system before this?  Is this the Quarq CinQo unit?  (http://www.quarq.us/)

Let us know how you like it, I have no experience to offer I'm afraid, a bit out of my league with this stuff.
Now that I have a small wheeled FWD bike I don't think either a PT or a Polar would do much for me. Like you a crank based system will need to support 165mm length.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2009, 10:52pm

Not a meat motor power meter. Been using ones for ebikes for several years and I couldn't do without one there. All sorts of uses there plus I can estimate my own power delta, which is pretty handy also. Yes, it's the CinQo unit with the Lightning 165mm cranks. You could go with a hub meter but I really like my HED3's or you could go with the pedal spindle meters maybe but they will only available on certain hollow axle spindles. I've talked at length with Quarq about it and options and they have been amazingly nice and helpful so hopefully that's a good sign. Learned a lot just in just the talking. Like the power transfer difference in just chainrings. Amazing. Hopefully will have it in a 2-3 weeks. Waiting on Lightning to make the cranks.

Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2010, 8:39am

Hey, I can logon again! Couldn't for a while.

I've been running the Quarq power meter on a Lightning 165mm carbon crankset for about a month now. I'm using a Garmin Edge 500 head with it. Very educational. As to the hardware, Lightning delayed the thing by well over a month. Probably best to not go into that...  Quarq, otoh, has been absolutely fabulous to deal with. We had Lightning send the cranks to Quarq, who installed the power meter spyder and calibrated it to the rings I chose. Then, since I had already disappeared off to Florida in the meantime, they shipped the unit here with no difficulty. Again, great customer service. I then had to get Lightning to send yet another part - they sent two right bearing cups instead of one of each, so a little more delay. The crankset went together very easily though. Did I mention it is *light*??? I suspect that the left FSA Gossamer crankarm that was on there weighs more than the whole crankset with power meter.

The Quarq unit comes with it's own cadence sensor. iIt's required for the power meter to work or at least transmit any data. You have to attach a magnet to the bike. You can epoxy one to the frame or they have a ring mount that slips behind the bearing cup with a magnet on it. The Lightning cups are larger diameter so it doesn't quite fit by about a mm. I modified it a teeny bit to make it work. Nice, clean fit otherwise. Looks great. Quarq is thinking of making a unit for mtn bike racing, which would be a triple, and they said they would look at adapting it to be able to run a road triple also. So there's hope...

As to use, I was really surprised at how much power I can generate. I had an idea that I was fairly strong for an old guy but I peak around 1100 watts, usually on launches when I'm spinning up around 130rpm. The cold weather put a damper on my power output but it appears my 24hr-type average output is somewhere around 150W and my fast, hard century output is somewhere around 200-220 average.  I can sustain 450w for about 2 minutes, 500 for about 1.5 minutes. I routinely crank the bike path overpasses at 700-800w (I still haven't seen those hills the locals keep pointing at), cresting them at 20mph (except when it's cold...) and I'm up around 800+ when I hit 35mph with no headwind. I always thought 500w would be a lot of power but I'm not even wound up when I hit that. So I've mostly been trying to get a good baseline on what I do and what is required of me in order to start working on a training program (if I ever get around to it). I think I probably generate enough power but I have to work on endurance at high power levels. If I get stronger, I expect my feet will be the weak link.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print