Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 11:49am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greenspeed Scorcher Review (Read 3019 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Greenspeed Scorcher Review
Oct 10th, 2009, 2:45pm

^picture of a new tire^
They look like great tires. Their sidewall is nice and thick much like the tread so that isn't a weak point like the kojaks paper thin sidewall. I have the 406x1.5 with kevlar and a reflective sidewall which has actually started peeling off.
It is sad to think I've only ridden <300 miles in the last couple months but I thought I'd share my experience I've had in that time with them.
First ride in they felt pretty good and rolled alot better then the vittoria randonneurs which I found were actually rubbing the front fork that will slow down any tire especially those that weigh over a lb a piece.
Ride home I had a flat from a piece of glass which I felt I needed to patch the tire because of the cut it made.
Second commute in I cut the front tire with another piece of glass I picked up and patched the tire again because of the size of the cut. Got another flat from a sharp stone and another glass one. I put some old mr tuffy liners just to get some life out the tires but I'm really thinking about going back to kojaks even with the sidewall problem because those only flatted when I blewout the sidewall after thousands of miles of the vittorias if I can find a way to mount them without rubbing the fork. The scorchers aren't for the rain either. They have no grip and I went down on thursday after I hit a puddle and the front wheel slid out while I was going perfectly straight. Course I went down today off the cruzbike so maybe that is just me.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Re: Greenspeed Scorcher Review
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2009, 6:28pm

Thanks for the review. I have been running Primo Comet kevlars on my trike for several years, typically getting about 3k miles out of them, but this summer the price of the kevlars skyrocketed and put them pretty much out of reach. I was thinking of trying the Scorcher but hadn't because they would be hard to obtain.

I'd recommend against running mr tuffys anymore. A couple of years ago they changed the compound or the substrate, I forgot which, and they went downhill. They used to last a long time out of the tire if not in sunlight but now they crack in short time regardless of how they are stored, even in a tire. I finally took the last one out when I had a blowout just after hitting 50mph downhill not long ago. Looking at what was left, it was pretty clear the liner had cut through the tire sidewall and caused the blowout.

I'm running non-kevlar Comets for now. Don't like the alternatives but not sure what to use. The Comets worked good on a trike because they didn't stick too well which is handy on a trike. Not as good on a bike though. :^)

I've been putting 406 Conti Contacts on the LWB ebikes. Good traction, low pressure though they still have pretty decent rolling resistance, and excellent wear. I have the Conti here that my daughter put over 4k miles on and you would have trouble distinguishing it from a Conti with maybe 100 miles on it. Almost no tread wear. And this tire is mounted on a hub motor wheel, so one might think it would have a lot more wear. None of the Contacts I've mounted on ebikes have had a flat yet, and that's over 10k miles in the year since I started using them.

Have you tried the Conti GP 406s? A bit expensive but I think I'll try them on the trike next.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2009, 6:57pm

I haven't tried the contis but they are look very thin for the tires I have been using on recumbents. Schwalbe said it was my weight 340lbs bike+gear+rider that caused the bead failures on the kojaks and they advised about continuing to use them. Those are rated 35mm but more likely are 32mm. The contis are only $5 more then the kojaks so maybe if I get courageous I could try them.

I had tried a 28mm wide tire and it was a pretty harsh ride and the rim then were mounted on got beaten till all the eyelets were cracked and a few had pulled through pretty quickly. Might have been a bad combination of wheel/tire but when I went to the wider tires I no longer had wheel problems or comfort issues. I'm probably going to check the workshop and see what I have in there. If I have a pair of kojaks I might throw them on or else try and see if I can get the vittoria's to fit without rubbing the fork.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2009, 6:59pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2009, 7:14pm

Ok. I can see that. I don't know if it would be worthwhile trying a 20x1.75 Conti Contact or not. They are a pretty inexpensive tire so maybe not out too much if it doesn't work. I run 16x1.95 Maxxis Hookworms on my pushers. They have been a very good tire for that application but more tread than I like for non-assisted tires. Might work in your situation. I also run 36-spoke double-walled rims with them for extra strength. I know so many people like Schwalbe's but I haven't had good experiences with them.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2009, 7:14pm by goatstick »  

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print