Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trikes (Read 900 times)
Rawhide

rbent member

Trikes
Oct 7th, 2009, 5:06pm

I test rode the Terra Trike Cruiser and Zoomer SL Saturday when I was in Kansas City.  My brother called me a month ago and said he was thinking about getting a bike and was looking at trikes.  Terra Trikes specifically and I have no idea how he even found out about them.  He had read the testamonials and was pretty much sold on getting one.  I asked him if he had test ridden any and he hadn't and didn't know where.  I quickly found 3 dealers in KC and emailed him the info.  This business trip to KC came up last week so we coordinated the test rides.  They are two distinctly different trikes but I liked each one.  I really wanted to open up on the Zoomer but it needed some adjustments because it would not shift into the big ring.  I think it would scoot on down the road pretty good.  The Cruiser will be the one my brother buys and it seemed like a good solid all around machine.  I can see a trike in my future just for the different and fun ride.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Trikes
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2009, 5:21pm

Ok, I am REALLY envious that Kansas City has 3, count em, 3 dealers with trikes and all I've got is that place in Richardson that shall remain nameless. What's wrong with this picture?  Smiley

IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2009, 5:54pm

There are of course some issues with Terra Trikes in particular the Cruiser.  The steering mechanism has several parts that can be problematic.  You can of course get more information on the WW forum on Yahoo.  The build quality on either a Catrike or Ice is far superior but of course you are talking much more expensive machines in general.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2009, 4:56pm

Agreed. I commuted on a TT for about 5k miles back in 2005. There was really only one design item I ran across that I thought was actually decent about the TT and that was how the front wheels mounted to the spindles. I sold the thing and then refurbished it again a while afterwards, after I had forgotten about its issues. I was pretty shocked when having to re-examine and repair them. Spend the extra money...

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2009, 5:09pm

City Cyclist in FtW is an ICE dealer...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2009, 11:20pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 8th, 2009, 5:09pm:
City Cyclist in FtW is an ICE dealer...

Well, I guess thats a start. I have this dream that someone (with funding) will come along and open a Hostel Shoppe of the Southwest (or something like that). I know, I know--keep dreaming.  Smiley

IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2009, 12:10pm

Cattrike dealers are all over the d/fw area, Austin (Easy Street), Fred'burg, Kerrville. Scarab Trikes in Refugio. He was up at Mike's (ESR) Bent Event with trikes to test ride.

I know Barry wants to only sell Scarab trikes pretty fully-loaded (for a good price though). It's an excellent trike, especially with a couple of small modifications. I wish he'd sell it with a more performance-oriented set of features though. Tandem rear wheel, X9 SRAM rear der with X0 thumb shifter, etc. Drop the 3-speed rear hub as it's a little too delicate if you can really crank hard. It's not initially as noticably nimble as the Catrikes, but IMO once your muscles adapt to it, you can carry a heavier load further and faster, with more stability on rougher terrain that you most likely would on a Catrike. It's a lot more serious vehicle than the Catrikes, from my experience (over 15k miles on a Scarab). You get what you pay for...

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print