Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 7:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small Ring Gear (Read 2671 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Small Ring Gear
Oct 1st, 2009, 6:12pm

Last Saturday I had to walk my Carbent up part of the steepest Leonard hill on the "Autumn in Bonham" ride (Oh, the shame  Smiley). The small chain ring has 30 teeth and the biggest gear on the rear cluster has 28 teeth. The middle ring has 39 teeth and the large ring 52 teeth. The front derailleur is a Shimano FD-6603 rated for a maximum tooth difference of 22T between the small and large rings.  John S. (No, not that John S.; the other one) was kind enough to give me a spare 26-tooth ring gear he had. I would like to use it to replace the 30T ring, so I can improve the bike's steep hill climbing ability. Has anyone with a similar setup installed a 26T small ring and not experienced the chain falling on the bottom bracket housing or other shifting problems?

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Small Ring Gear
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2009, 7:15pm

Quote from jayg on Oct 1st, 2009, 6:12pm:
Last Saturday I had to walk my Carbent up part of the steepest Leonard hill on the "Autumn in Bonham" ride (Oh, the shame  Smiley).......  Has anyone with a similar setup installed a 26T small ring and not experienced the chain falling on the bottom bracket housing or other shifting problems?

That's OK, Jay -- even Pedalin' Peggy had to walk it last year on OK is OK!!

(Yes, I'm EVIL...  Smiley      but I'm teasing, she dropped her chain in a mis-shift!!!)   Cheesy Grin

(and here I go, taking pictures with one hand while climbing it!!!   Smiley  )

You may or may not have to replace your front DR -- I found out last weekend while climbing County Line Hill that Bud had put a 26T on the Xstream proto, and while it rubs on the bottom of the DR cage, it still works...  and it's a long shift back up to the 39T, but it worked, too...

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2009, 7:16pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2009, 7:26pm

Jay, I have a carbent, of course, and for RAO I changed my 30t to a 26t with no problems at all.  With the 53t q-ring it can be finicky, but so long as I am awake and shift appropriately it's not an issue.  So you should have no problem on your Carbent.  

You coming to the rbent picnic this Sunday?  It'd be pretty sweet to have two carbents running together.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2009, 8:30pm

All of my bikes have 26T granny gears now, except for my Stratus XP, which has a 24T. All of them work great and none rub like the one on Rose's Xstream. It's just the angle from idler to crank on that prototype bike.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2009, 9:52pm

[quote author=FlyingLaZBoy link=1254438773/0#1 date=1254442524 u may or may not have to replace your front DR -- I found out last weekend while climbing County Line Hill that Bud had put a 26T on the Xstream proto, and while it rubs on the bottom of the DR cage, it still works...  and it's a long shift back up to the 39T, but it worked, too...
[/quote]

Thanks for your response, Paul. I'll go ahead and install the ring.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2009, 10:02pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Oct 1st, 2009, 8:30pm:
All of my bikes have 26T granny gears now, except for my Stratus XP, which has a 24T. All of them work great and none rub like the one on Rose's Xstream. It's just the angle from idler to crank on that prototype bike.

Thanks for your response. Do you know if your derailleurs are designed for a 22-tooth difference between the big and small rings?  

Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2009, 10:32pm

Hmmm....  so the next time I can't make a hill, I should just kick the chain off.  That's a great idea!!!  "Naw, I was going just fine 'til this dern chain come off.  Aw, I'll just fix 'er at the top."  Smiley

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2009, 10:48pm

Quote from aikigreg on Oct 1st, 2009, 7:26pm:
Jay, I have a carbent, of course, and for RAO I changed my 30t to a 26t with no problems at all.  With the 53t q-ring it can be finicky, but so long as I am awake and shift appropriately it's not an issue.  So you should have no problem on your Carbent.  

You coming to the rbent picnic this Sunday?  It'd be pretty sweet to have two carbents running together.

Thanks, good to know I won't have a problem.  

Your posts on this Forum, BROL, etc. played a big part in my decision to step up to a Carbent. The Bacchetta Corsa I own is a real good bike, but the Carbent is a great bike.  

I won't be able to make the picnic, but if I could, the only way we would be running together is if you were pedalling with one leg and had a dragging brake.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print