Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:17pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Waco Wild West Century (Read 2519 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Waco Wild West Century
Sep 28th, 2009, 12:02am

Well we made it down to Waco and everyone survived the ride. We did the 50 mile distance so my son could get that out of the way for his Cycling Merit Badge. We hit a few snags as we discovered the extreme limitations of my son's trike. I had told him at the start that it didn't matter how fast we finished, as long as we finished. This came back to bite me in the backside (and knees) around mile 35. At that point my son had struggled up some really tough hills with his little 7-speed KMX. He was miserable and even the candy from the Mars rest stop couldn't restore his enthusiasm. We got into a series of rollers and he completely lost it. So, I traded trikes with him. He felt as though I had just given him the keys to a Jaguar and I felt like I had just gotten a single-speed My Little Pony. He finished the ride with 14 minutes to spare on his 8 hour time limit and a huge happy smile on his face. My last 15 miles were like hell on earth but I managed to limp in a few minutes later. My knees felt worse than when I ski moguls all day. My husband, Steve, hung back to help me encourage Rowan when things started to go sour. Steve had never ridden that far on a bike and although he had to walk a couple of spots finished in pretty good shape. My daughter took off at the start and finished an hour and a half ahead of us. She informed me that  "there isn't enough gel cushion in the world to make one of those stupid bikes seats comfortable for that long" I just told her that's why I ride a recumbent.  Grin
I met Dianna shortly before the start but could not make it through the crowd to reach her before the ride started. Sorry to have missed you and the others, Dianna, but we never had a chance to catch you once things started moving.  Smiley
All in all, it was a great day, a fun ride, some valuable lessons learned and I'm just hoping I get my trike back...

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Waco Wild West Century
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2009, 9:05am

Sounds like it was a grand adventure. Hope your knees feel better now.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2009, 10:14am

you know it's a tough day when candy doesn't make it all better!   Smiley

Glad to see the kid has guts!  Great job on the encouragement front.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
ceerob57

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2009, 4:39pm

Hi There!
 SmileyI passed you and your son after the rest stop (at the loop).  I was the Black female riding the red trike with the purdy flag.  You guys looked great.  I felt as though someone was holding onto my rack as I was climbing the hills at less than 5 mph.  Smiley All in all, it was a good ride for me and I was glad to see so many trikes.   Smiley

ceerob57
Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2009, 6:23pm

I may have passed you as well. I was on the red Strada and it was at my 82 mile mark and I was ready to be finished!

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2009, 9:25am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 28th, 2009, 9:05am:
Sounds like it was a grand adventure. Hope your knees feel better now.

Yes, thank you, the knees were fine by Sunday morning. It's amazing what a good night's rest and an Alleve will do.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2009, 9:29am

Quote from robersoncarolyn on Sep 28th, 2009, 4:39pm:
Hi There!
SmileyI passed you and your son after the rest stop (at the loop).  I was the Black female riding the red trike with the purdy flag.  You guys looked great.  I felt as though someone was holding onto my rack as I was climbing the hills at less than 5 mph.  Smiley All in all, it was a good ride for me and I was glad to see so many trikes.   Smiley

Yes, we remember you, too. Sorry there was no opportunity to chat. What kind of trike are you riding? It looked really nice.

IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009, 10:09am

Patti, it was nice to meet you at the start.  Sorry we never caught up with each other, but I'm glad you got breakfast before the ride started.  Glad to hear that your son finished the ride and I was excited to see so many boy scouts on the route.  I rode with four scouts on mountain bikes for about 5 miles.  They were a great diversion from the hills. Keep your eye on bentrideronline.com and see if you can't find a used trike for either you or your son.  If you get him a trike with a 26" rear wheel, you may never see him again on a ride. Smiley

IP Logged
ceerob57

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2009, 10:52am

Quote from Patti on Sep 29th, 2009, 9:29am:
Quote from robersoncarolyn on Sep 28th, 2009, 4:39pm:
Hi There!

Yes, we remember you, too. Sorry there was no opportunity to chat. What kind of trike are you riding? It looked really nice.

I was riding an E-3 SX Tadpole with 20" all around.  LUV my cute little tricycle.  I cannot imagine riding an upright, and even have to work really hard to get motivated to ride my SWB recumbent.

ceerob57
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2009, 9:44am

Quote from diannalightning on Sep 29th, 2009, 10:09am:
Keep your eye on bentrideronline.com and see if you can't find a used trike for either you or your son.  If you get him a trike with a 26" rear wheel, you may never see him again on a ride. Smiley

I'll definitely be checking the ads daily. If anybody gets a trike with a 26" rear wheel, it will be ME!  Wink

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2009, 10:40am

You could always build one... Smiley

http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-warrior.htm

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:41am by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2009, 12:03pm

Quote from JimFPU on Sep 30th, 2009, 10:40am:

As a seasoned veteran of 2am, Christmas morning, some-assembly-required disasters, I'm always skeptical when someone tells me their instructions are "so easy, anyone can do it".   Grin

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2009, 12:19pm

LOL!!  of course some expierence is required. Smiley

But by the sound of it you may have met that requirement... Smiley

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2009, 4:31pm

Patti, I'm riding a TW Bent Trident--folding and has a 26" rear wheel.  I had to order it from Canada, but Action Bent now is a distributor (www.actionbent.com) in the US.  However, to get the same compents that I have, you have to get the Artifice model from Action Bent.  I was lucky to deal with Rebel Cycles in Canada, but I understand that he has gone out of business.  They require some assembly when you receive them, but for the most part, they're easy to put together.  One of our forum members put mine together for me and I've had it to the bike shop a couple of times for adjustments, but everything seems to be good quality.  I wouldn't go any lower than the 105 on components though.  Let me know if you want to test ride.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2009, 2:22pm

Quote from diannalightning on Sep 30th, 2009, 4:31pm:
Patti, I'm riding a TW Bent Trident--folding and has a 26" rear wheel.  I had to order it from Canada, but Action Bent now is a distributor (www.actionbent.com) in the US.  However, to get the same compents that I have, you have to get the Artifice model from Action Bent.  I was lucky to deal with Rebel Cycles in Canada, but I understand that he has gone out of business.  They require some assembly when you receive them, but for the most part, they're easy to put together.  One of our forum members put mine together for me and I've had it to the bike shop a couple of times for adjustments, but everything seems to be good quality.  I wouldn't go any lower than the 105 on components though.  Let me know if you want to test ride.

Getting a test ride would be great. There is a guy on BROL that has an Atrifice and really likes it. Actiobent sells the Trident model on Ebay all the time but I haven't yet had the opportunity to see one up close.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print