Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TTTT 2009 (Read 5725 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: TTTT 2009
Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2009, 10:38pm

ahh, thanks Paul - I'll get that fixed, along with Mr B's name and such.  Mostly just trying to fill in the gaps of information since I didn't get to see much of everyone's race.  I'm still just awed over how well everyone did, and how we covered every single event with at least 1 rider.  And of course our volunteers Bud and Mark.  They both worked their heineys off and it made all the difference in the world to me.  As a group RBENT had just an amazing showing.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2009, 11:02pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 27th, 2009, 12:15pm:
 And to Bud for manning a corner for part of Saturday, as well!

If 5:00 am to 6:30 pm is just part of Saturday, I'm sure glad I didn't try to stay the whole day...

Job well done, everyone! Standing on a corner all those hours, watching the racers go by, I had to smile at just how many of them were on recumbents.  

And when you consider how tough that course is, there were some really remarkable times and mileages put up by rbent members. Congrats, y'all!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2009, 9:13am

Oops, I guess I didn't see you the first two times I passed that corner!!!!!  APOLOGIES!!   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2009, 9:15am

From an article in the FtW paper:  
http://www.star-telegram.com/807/story/1638423.html

"Hans Binder of Denmark, fresh off a 1,200-kilometer race in Colorado, was forced out of the 500-mile race after nearly 130 miles and said the Glen Rose course took its toll on him.

He wasn’t alone. Of the nearly 45 competitors who started the 500-mile race, around 35 to 40 percent didn’t finish, race coordinator Dan Driscoll said.

"The course is tough," said Binder, who also rode the time trial. "It goes up and down all the time; you never get rest."

AustinSkater

Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2009, 2:52pm

How to write a race report when you really only remember bits and pieces of the race?

1.  Thank you, each and every one of you who were there, even if I don't remember seeing you.

2.  I agree with Kent, it was a 'bent friendly course.  I got passed by a group of 12 hour racers on their first lap, just past Brazos Point, and used them as motivation on the rollers leading up to the Yocham Hill.  I know I annoyed a couple of them by pointing out how many more miles my legs had in them, as I passed them on the climbs.  As for the final 5 miles, I used them to beat the 2nd place DF on lap 17, and that's all I needed to hold onto 2nd place over all (discussion point, should the 'bents be counted separately in a race like this?)

3.  Nutrition, it's a wonderful thing, especially when you actually come close to sticking to the plan.

4.  Thank you William, whoever you are.

5.  Nelson, watching you descend on that Barcroft was stunning.

6.  Steve, Peggy, 500 miles next year, right?

7.  Steve B, I really was worried that you'd beat me, right to the point where I started worrying about how bad you were injured.  I would have rather have you beat me.  Rest, recover and come back stronger.  I've set a goal for you (and Steve P, Nelson and any other RBENT racers) to beat.

8.  It's been said before, but the camaraderie in our pit area was as impressive as our performance on the road.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2009, 3:26pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Sep 28th, 2009, 2:52pm:
How to write a race report when you really only remember bits and pieces of the race?

1.  Thank you, each and every one of you who were there, even if I don't remember seeing you.

2.  I agree with Kent, it was a 'bent friendly course.  I got passed by a group of 12 hour racers on their first lap, just past Brazos Point, and used them as motivation on the rollers leading up to the Yocham Hill.  I know I annoyed a couple of them by pointing out how many more miles my legs had in them, as I passed them on the climbs.  As for the final 5 miles, I used them to beat the 2nd place DF on lap 17, and that's all I needed to hold onto 2nd place over all (discussion point, should the 'bents be counted separately in a race like this?)

3.  Nutrition, it's a wonderful thing, especially when you actually come close to sticking to the plan.

4.  Thank you William, whoever you are.

5.  Nelson, watching you descend on that Barcroft was stunning.

6.  Steve, Peggy, 500 miles next year, right?

7.  Steve B, I really was worried that you'd beat me, right to the point where I started worrying about how bad you were injured.  I would have rather have you beat me.  Rest, recover and come back stronger.  I've set a goal for you (and Steve P, Nelson and any other RBENT racers) to beat.

8.  It's been said before, but the camaraderie in our pit area was as impressive as our performance on the road.

Bryan, great job. You deserved it. I love your #8. Well said. Not so much about #6(Yes, we're in for the 500 next year). And I spoke to Dan D about the 'bents being in a separate category. He was VERY agreeable(and had no problem changing to doing away with the separate category and mixing the 'bents & DF's together.

Nelson said it best, if the 'bents have to compete against the DF's to get RAAM qualified, then the 'bents should be classified in the same category as the DF's. Thanks to Mark M for the advice on the matter as well.

Again, way to go Rbenters, volunteers , and spouses(for putting up with the time required to get ready for an event of this type).

Oh, William Pruitt is our cycling coach. Coriovelo.com

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2009, 3:34pm

Bud! What corner were you on? Sorry I missed you there. Thanks so much. The corner workers were a godsend! I tried to thank every one of them as they flagged me through the corner.

Bryan, you did an unbelievable job. Just simply nailed that thing and apparently good work with the plan also (what was it? :^) You were going almost as fast as Greg and I were!

I did confirm what I suspected would be my big problem: It took me about 5 miles to get my legs warmed up. Every lap they were cranky and weak until I crested the Nemo hill. Next relay I'll need to come up with an attack plan to handle that.

As to the question of separation, I tend to say no in events like this. Separation holds up the wall that keeps people from seeing 'bents and having them be included in more racing. Did you see any mention in the news article of bents or of Bryan's 2nd place in the Tejas 500? It's like we are invisible sometimes. I felt a twinge during the ceremony when JS had to add "Or if you just want to go faster" to Dan's comment. Not that Dan is a bad guy. Most of us guys (Bryan excluded) showed what a bunch of old, fat guys can do on a hilly course on 'bents, but it still doesn't seem to have made an impact. But really, I'm used to that. I ride with my old pack who gladly admit that my bike is really fast and they absolutely love drafting me as fast as they can go, but seem to have a mental block against riding one themselves.

Yeah Nutrition. I finally got that one right also. What I did would not have worked for a solo race but this experiment was successful.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2009, 3:42pm

Kent, I was wearing the Indiana Jones hat at the blind turn at mile 19.

Bryan, you should stop by the Bacchetta forum. They're all going to want to know who you are, now.  

Great job, y'all!

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009, 3:44pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #23 - Sep 28th, 2009, 3:44pm

Quote from goatstick on Sep 28th, 2009, 3:34pm:

I did confirm what I suspected would be my big problem: It took me about 5 miles to get my legs warmed up. Every lap they were cranky and weak until I crested the Nemo hill. Next relay I'll need to come up with an attack plan to handle that.

That's simple.  Put a spotter 5 miles out from the relay zone.  Once they see your partner, have them call you and tell you to start spinning (on a spare bike).  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #24 - Sep 28th, 2009, 3:46pm

Quote:
8. It's been said before, but the camaraderie in our pit area was as impressive as our performance on the road.

And let me add the camaraderie on the road as well, I sure appreciated you having a word of encouragement every time you went by, and pointing out my reflective triangle was rubbing away!  A very real pickup every time I got to see you!

I second the opinion that for unfaired bikes it shouldn't matter for overall.  Dan did seem fine with that.  And as long as the RAAM Qualifying thing is there I don't know how anyone could object.  I'm sure some DF rider would at some point.

The Barcroft was a blast to ride, it really is a comfortable bike.  

Thanks,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #25 - Sep 28th, 2009, 4:36pm

I sort of agree, why have a separate category when there's that much climbing?  Besides, they're commercially available, if someone wants one, they just have to buy one!   Cheesy

Although "bent friendly"???   Hmmmm, I dunno about THAT...   Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009, 4:37pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #26 - Sep 28th, 2009, 5:56pm

You know, I've given up on the bent versus DF thing.  Separate, included, I'm ok with being the odd man out.  No surprise that I usually am!   Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009, 5:56pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #27 - Sep 29th, 2009, 6:20am

On an overall perspective, I agree that separation is not good for those of us that want to integrate bents with DF.

However,

Dan wants everyone to walk away with a trophy, and as many first place trophies as possible.  That's the sole reason for all the categories. Not just bents, but as many categories as he can think of.

Did you hear his comments during the awards ceremony?  He said that if anyone wanted to change their plaque; "for example, from a 6th place 26 mile race to a 1st place, 26 mile race in the 60-65 age category, he had not problem adding an age category".

It other words, Dan's primary interest in growing the race is to gain participation by creating as many categories as possible to reward riders for their accomplishments.  He was going to create a separate category for our mixed bent/DF team, but I asked him not to.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2009, 9:59am

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #29 - Sep 29th, 2009, 2:36pm

Quote:
That's the sole reason for all the categories. Not just bents, but as many categories as he can think of.

Dan offered me a trophy if I just finished one lap.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print