Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 12:33am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pedaling technique on FWD (Read 1061 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Pedaling technique on FWD
Sep 21st, 2009, 5:42pm

Nelson --
   While riding with you on Saturday, I noticed that you're adding unnecessary elevation to your climbs...   Smiley  I believe you'll see what I mean in the video clip I shot, climbing out of St. Jo.

(Obviously, not having much time on the bike yet, your pedaling technique isn't smooth yet while climbing -- but I thought it would be fun to show you a clip viewed from behind!)

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2009, 5:43pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Pedaling technique on FWD
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2009, 8:43pm

I hate to say it but I think I'm worse on the Corsa, I just mash!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 7:43am

Haven't seen the video yet (at work) but what are your opinions on the FWD?  I'm thinking about building one, and need some opinions from one who has one.  What, if any, are the issues you have with it?  Does it turn well?  I understand heel strike, so I'm not too concerned about that, I'm more concerned with chain twist and chain wheel interference and such.  Thoughts?  TIA.

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 8:10am

So far the FWD is pretty much a non issue while riding.  I did get some Big Wheel front wheel slip action with a commute load on the back and riding away from stops last week in the rain, but its a total non event really (makes you feel like a kid).  I haven't finalized the return idler configuration - the setup that was on there with a moving arm and small pulley was elegant, and I'm sure worked well when new, but the previous owner had abused it some and it wasn't working too well, so I threw my spare Bacchetta Pulley on there until I decide how I'm going to set it up.  My short legs make the boom extension short so most of the issues have to do when wheeling the bike around by hand and rolling backwards, it's not real fond of backing up and when turning the wheel to the right I do hit the chain.  The chain seems to handle the twist just fine, and pedaling under load while turning has been fine.  The bike handles really well and is very stable, When I jump back on the Corsa I nearly put it in the ditch it is so twitchy in comparison.  

I was riding the Strada to work today and on one of the climbs I noticed I was doing the moving thing, and I've decided that it must be the cheap version of Q rings or Rotor crank action.  I do turn the wheel in a rhythm with the pedaling, momentarily lessening the slope.  

Paul took a picture and you can see the chain can touch the wheel if you turn it far enough:

http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae256/pbrown8js/RBENT%20StJo/?action=view& ;current=HPUMC09031.jpg

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2009, 8:15am by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print