Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
R-12 two step (Read 913 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

R-12 two step
Sep 6th, 2009, 10:02am

Nelson, Peggy & rode 2 separate LSR routes yesterday & Peggy & I earned our first R-12(with Nelson one month away from earning his R-12). Smiley

Ride #1

Our first ride with Live Long & Prosper, a 208k that travels from Prosper to Forrestburg & back. This was the first time for Peggy & I to ride this route. We really liked the route. All three of wanted to get one last long training ride in for the time trials. Nelson rode his bike from Plano to Prosper, while I opted to drive from Frisco to Prosper(a mobile control as it were).

We left right on time at 7:00, take a relatively leisurely pace to an unscheduled stop in Aubrey(quick bathroom break) then onto to Bolivar(another unscheduled stop). This route only has a beginning control(Prosper), & middle control(Forrestburg) & an ending control(Prosper again). The ride was uneventful & Peggy & I took off sprinting from Bolivar to Forrestburg,playing on the hills.Nelson was soon to follow into Forrestburg. Peggy & I took off again from the control & were really flying on hills back to Bolivar.

We stopped(unscheduled)at Bolivar again, & regrouped, taking a leisurely break. Odd to the finish in Prosper. The wind was a non factor all day ,except as we approach Prosper(what a shock). The section of road(1385 for 4+ miles into a stiff headwind) was really tough. We were really pushing(and had been for 60+ miles). Our goal was to finish in under 9 hours. We turned east on Fishtrap road & the cross wind just literally stopped in our tracks(crap, when not going to make our time goal-2 miles from the finish), we keep fighting & then at the end , a nice 11% grade hill(no way we'll make our time now), we keep pedalin' & roll into the control at 4:00pm exactly.  Not bad for an early leisurely pace & some long breaks(which were welcomed). A few minutes later, Nelson rolls into the stop(fighting some stomach upset). My Garmin showed  4,851' of climbing for the 208k

We eat at the subway, Peggy & I change clothes, relax for a little while. Off to the next LSR ride.

Ride #2

Bobcat Bite, a mile+ miles up the road from Prosper. Nelson rides to the control, we meet up & at 6:00pm, we're off for the a 106k ride. We take it slow at first, trying to get our legs & whits about us. No problems, we roll into Howe(2nd control). We turn on our lights after the Howe Control(I love riding at night). By this time, Nelson's stomach issues have gone & we're all in good shape. The wind subsided for the trip south on Preston Road, we turn onto FM121. We're all moving pretty strong at this point.

There's one section of road on FM 121(just prior to the existing detour) that the County has decided to tear up, so we gingerly maneuver  our bikes over the packed, crushed stone. We arrive at the Tioga control just a few minutes after the store closes. The owner sees us outsides & re-opens the store for us(how cool is that). We take of business & head toward the finish, 18 miles to go. No problems.  

We have a chance of finish both rides around 13 hrs,30 mins+. Again ,no bad for the breaks, & relaxing pace at times. We cross 377 bridge, a few miles up, Nelson pulls over-"Flat!". We pull off into a vacant home's driveway(off 377). The landlord(who I guess lives in a trailer) decides to come out & see what's going on(at 9:50pm), he's telling us old stories as Nelson changes his flat. Off we go, we're rolling again, wait, Peggy is falling back. "Where's Peggy ?" She pulls into a self serve car wash-"Flat!". We ride back to here, change her flat. 12+ miles to the finish.

We rolled into downtown Celina square at just after 11:30pm. BUT, mission accomplished. R-12 , our first & I was glad we finished it up on a good friends route. Granted the R-12 isn't as impressive as Bud's R-4, but nonetheless...  Smiley

AND for you Spanish Fort riders, we left water(in the shade) for you at the Forrestburg Control. Thanks to Nelson(who rode super strong all day, he's ready for the 500 mile TT), for being a true randonneur & a better person. AND Peggy rode her butt as well, she'll do just fine in the 24 hour event. I was so proud of her all day. Super strong ride. More than that, she has to pout up with my antics during this whole R-12 & completing a series. She has more than earned her angle wings.  Smiley

I ended up with 196+ miles for the day, Nelson had to be close to 220+ miles.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: R-12 two step
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2009, 5:12pm

Congrats and hugs on the R-12!!!!!!!!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2009, 5:56pm

Peggy and Steve - I am so very proud of you.  It's been an amazing journey to ride with you and watch you grow as ultra cyclists.  The R12 should be a very coveted accomplishment.  Be sure to order the medal, you'll be glad you did.  As you look at the calendar that surrounds the medal, you'll reflect back on each ride, many of which are epic in different ways.

For those that don't know what an R12 is, let me briefly explain.  You must complete at least one 200k Randonneuring event for 12 consecutive months.  It takes a tremendous amount of dedication.  Work, family, weather, etc. can conflict with schedules, making it very difficult to achieve this goal.  

Here is how difficult it can be.  I was 15 miles away from completing a 200k in late summer and bonked so bad I couldn't continue.  I've not disclosed this, but it would have resulted in my completion of an R12.  

Whoever can accomplish this spectacular achievement is in a very special and select category.  

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2009, 7:46pm

Congrats, Steve and Peggy!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2009, 8:17pm

Thanks to all the have helped(in more ways that you'll ever know), and for the kind words from everyone.
Our regular LSR riding partners-Bud, Nelson, Ray, Greg, Mark Metcalfe & on occasion Paul. The many trials/tribulations(highs/lows) ,that we have encountered would good material for book.  

Hey Bud, how's that R-4 coming?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print