Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 4:13pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
used bike (Read 621 times)
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

used bike
Sep 1st, 2009, 11:23am

Ok, say you answer an ad for a used bike. You've been told the bike had not been ridden for some time.  You found the bike had older drive train then expected and shifter issues and rear wheel and both tires would have to be replaced. Good frame and fork. But the asking price was higher then you expected for the condition of the bike.  Where would you go with this?   Would you make an offer?  

Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: used bike
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2009, 11:37am

Quote from johnnybent on Sep 1st, 2009, 11:23am:
Ok, say you answer an ad for a used bike. You've been told the bike had not been ridden for some time.  You found the bike had older drive train then expected and shifter issues and rear wheel and both tires would have to be replaced. Good frame and fork. But the asking price was higher then you expected for the condition of the bike.  Where would you go with this?   Would you make an offer?  

I'd tell the seller exactly what you told us here, and then make an offer on what you believe it is worth.  The worse thing that can happen is the seller tells you "no".  Of course, that assumes that you are willing to go through the time/effort to repair what needs fixing.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Re: used bike
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2009, 10:35pm

That's in fact exactly what I found with the Gold Rush I purchased a couple of years ago in Tulsa.  The bike had dry rotted tires, rather stuck shifters and needed new cable.  Turns out once I got it to PCF  they were able to clean out the trigger shifters, change cables and clean up the bike.   It did need new tires but that's about it.    

I basically told the guy his price was high.  I made him an offer, he countered and I purchased it.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print