Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:03pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HHH 2009 (Read 5049 times)
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

HHH 2009
Aug 29th, 2009, 6:18pm

Started thursday evening out with front tire problems, a flat i couldnt fix. Thought I had it fixed when I arrived in town only to find the thing flat..again. Luckily, Texnoma cycle had a tire and I replaced the tube and tire, problem solved. Stayed at the downtown Y, where I sept with 300 others at a toasty 45 degrees. At the 100 mi. zone I met a P-38 owner from WF and the guy with the fuzzy dice. The start was a mess...walk, walk,walk.  But once i got started, ride went well. Most of the rest stops were so full I just went until the 40 for water.  I didnt know what i would do on a longer ride and finished the 100K better then I planned.  This was the coolest HHH  i've ever known with the largest crowd I've ever seen.          

Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Re: HHH 2009
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2009, 6:21pm

Personally, i'd prefer it if they went back to the combined tandem recumbent start!

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2009, 7:33pm

A couple naughty bents left at about 6:30 a.m. and didn't have to stop once.  Well once when the Cat 2 racers passed us. That didn't take very long.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2009, 8:16pm

This is such an event, everyone should go ride it at least once. Wichita Falls really goes all out for it. There were apparently over 14,000 riders this year. I got there Friday afternoon and walked a few laps around the bike consumer show, after picking up my t-shirt and registration stuff. It's always fun to wander through that much cycling stuff in one place.  

The rec center outdid themselves again this year. This year, they added a pizza dinner Friday evening, and a breakfast with all kinds of choices for Saturday morning. The gym was cold, as usual, and I remember tossing the covers over my head a few times during the night, but I slept pretty well.

I took the usual 6:00 am route to the ride start, cutting across Wichita Street, which takes you to Scott Street in front of the start. There were no recumbents and tandems on the Wichita River bridge this year; everyone was lined up at the start line just before the bridge. As I approached the start from the front, it reminded me too much of a can of sardines, everyone was so packed in, so I turned around and made my start from Wichita Street.

This is a flat route and has great traffic control, so I always use it to try for my best century time of the year. I made it past the thickest bike traffic at the beginning ok, and settled in to see how fast I could finish the ride. I have been slower this year, and today was no different. The past two years, I made it past mile 90 before my average speed dropped below 20 mph. That happened today before mile 70.

But my real problems came at mile 74. I hadn't made a stop yet, even though my arse had been hurting for more than a few miles by then. I think the filter foam seat cushion is completely worn out on the Roadster, and that may have a lot to do with what happened. At mile 74, I had the strangest muscle spasm I've ever had, such a serious cramp in my right arse cheek that I stopped. As soon as I stopped, a knot the size of a pear showed up, just beside my tail bone.

I layed on my side in the ditch with the ants and goatheads for 15 minutes, before a SAG vehicle showed up, policed me up, and hauled me back to the rest stop at mile 68. There, I was tortured by a massage therapist for 20 minutes or so, but the knot just wouldn't go away completely. There was just no way I could sit on the bike, so I asked to be SAG'ed in, and was told a SAG truck was on its way, so I waited.

And waited and waited. Every 15 minutes or so, I would sit on the bike again to confirm there was no way I could ride it. Finally, at 12:45, after an hour and 15 minutes of waiting for the SAG truck, I sat on the bike and said, "Maybe". So, off I went.

It's a very different view of the ride that I got, riding during hours when I'm usually finished. I figured I'd better keep a moderate pace to better fend off further cramps, but even with a moderate pace, I was pretty much passing everything on the road. 6 hours after the start, it seems there aren't too many racer types left on the course. Riding with the strong riders that I do, I feel pretty slow, but passing all these bikes today was a reminder that slow and fast are relative things.

And it's a different style of riding at this time of the ride. Many riders just ride side by side, and are pretty much oblivious to anyone coming up behind them. You need to use the oncoming lane for most of the passing you do. And at every rest stop that I rode past, at least one rider pulled out directly in front of me.

By mile 98, I was starting to cramp pretty seriously again. When you cramp at mile 98, there's only one thing to do. I stopped and had a free beer. Unfortunately, as soon as I stopped, the knot showed up again, and the beer wasn't nearly enough to numb the pain as I took off again. But within a short distance, the cramp was better, and I was pretty sure I could finish.

When I crossed the finish line, I didn't stop, for fear of a knot again. I just made a u-turn, and rode slowly back to the rec center. I ended up with 107.8 miles (rode from mile 68 to mile 74 twice), and a total time of 7:50. That likely qualifies this as the slowest century I've ever done.

The last few miles, there were more than the usual number of comments about how comfortable my bike looked, and offers to trade bikes. But they didn't bring the smile to my face that they usually do, because on this day, my arse was likely hurting just as much as their's was.

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2009, 8:49pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2009, 8:41pm

Bud, I'm glad to hear you made it in, though am sorry to hear it was a epic century.  Your comments about the church are correct.  They do a really great job of looking after the folks.  It was a pleasure to see familiar faces and meet new ones.

I'm really pleased with my ride today.  I went in thinking I've got a 5 hour in me and that's exactly what I did, 5 hrs, 20 mph avg.  I took advantage of pacelines whenever possible and just kept cranking.  Early on I got to thinking if I might be able to ride without making a pit stop, so I was able to do that too.  My previous best was 6 hours flat a couple of years ago on my Rocket.  I figured with the Corsa I could shave an hour off.  Greg and I leap-frogged throughout the ride and I must say, seeing that pink seatbag  ahead of me helped keep my focus on the task at hand.

And a big congratulations to Powerbent and (I so sorry I can't remember your name at the moment) the guy with the Vison Sabre for reaching personal bests too!   DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2009, 9:09pm

The definite stars of the day were Thomas and Dan.  Congratulations to you both!

I started the day feeling weak and with feet so swollen my shoes hurt as soon as I put them on.  Had a verbal match with a roadie at the starting line.  But otherwise it was another day of trials and tribulations, sore feet and knees to push through, but also seeing my best friends and everybody else I only get to see occasionally.

I finished just a hair over 5 hours.  About 20 minutes slower than my tica last year.  But most of the time I ride all alone and this year was great to have DJ along.  He stayed with me forever, and then I'd catch a surge and be gone, only to have his reel me in in a few minutes.  When he actually gets clipless pedals, it's be 'So long, sucka!" and he'll be the dot on the horizon.

The buffet was nice too.  I got us there with a minimum of wrong turns!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2009, 10:03pm

Had an absolute blast today at HHH. I had pretty much worked out my fit issues on the ca2 earlier this week and was hoping I could finally start cranking the beast. Took me about 30 miles to work through the traffic. Ran up on Greg but didn't recognize his new pink box so he had to yell me down. After I cleared traffic I was able to open the thing up and I started just motoring past paceline after paceline after paceline. One 30-bike fast bike paceline tried to reel me in for 45 miles. I'd walk away from them on the climbs (did I say the CA climbs like crazy now?) and they'd work to reel me back in on the descents. Finally they caught me at about mile 85 and drafted me for 3 miles before they overtook me. Funny thing, the guy who had always been leading the charge to catch me got dropped when they passed, so I rode most of the way back in with him and had fun talking with him about it. Saw a good number of bents today. Tried to say hi to most of you. Great ride!

I'll have to say the new CA really can move though. The power transfer is much better than the Corsa and it really responds when you kick it. I think I'll keep it around

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2009, 10:13pm

Yes, congrats to those who had personal bests today. HHH is a great stage for that. Let's see those ride reports! Some of us came in too late to hear the story there...

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2009, 10:24pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2009, 3:03pm

You know I did see a couple fellows on some blue bike and a home made of some sort. Ha! John, did I get you right that you did not stop at all? Congratulations!

My third HHH was enjoyable as well. Thanks to Susan and her gang for putting us up at the church, and feeding us too. I am not a fast rider at best. This year my miles ridden dropped off significantly. None the less, I started strong...right after the jets, and the first 20 miles were a blast. Twenty to 50 still good and after 50 I started to droop. Mile 90 I perk back up, the wind and smooth road helped. I did spend about 75 minutes at rest stops along the way. Finished in about 8 hrs over all, where was the timer??!!  My on bike average was a tad over  14 mph. The weather was great, I was quite chilled on the ride down to the start. It could have been called the Hot 100.

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2009, 3:44pm

My ride ay HHH was good one, According to my puter on my bike I got 75 miles and got it in 5.5 hours and my fastest speed was 34 mph. Got to get a litlle more seat time for my feet to get use to pedaling that much. It was a good experience and the people was great at the Lamar Baptish Church
 Later Thomas J  Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2009, 4:20pm

Quote:
John, did I get you right that you did not stop at all?

Who me?  After the 30 I had to stop at every stop because I forgot my camelbac. I had a waterbottle but no way to reach it while on the bike. I finished 75 miles feeling that maybe I could have gone 25 more but not sure.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2009, 4:24pm

Had a fun time, indeed...  and the combination of no flats, no mechanicals, no wrecks, and no speeding tickets (in the car) always makes it a good trip.

After seeing the "sardines" at the start, Lynn and I and a few others went up to where the Cat I racers were staging, and just waited there, 200 yards in front of the main start line.  It was an excellent vantage point to see the racers take off, and to view the jet flyover at 7AM!!!  As soon as the planes passed, we were off, with the crowd coming, 100 yards back.  I hadn't planned on cranking it up, but you get caught up in all the paceline groups that you encounter, and with the relative headwinds we had, there was definitely an advantage to wheelsucking...  I hung with Bud for a while after the start, and saw a couple aftermaths of what looked like bad crashes between Mile 20 and 30... then stopped at Elektra for a bathroom break.   Approaching Margaritaville, there was a HUGE crash right in front of me, that I narrowly avoided by going onto the left shoulder...  I passed Margaritaville this year, opting for the pre-Gate stop, which was actually kind of a disappointing rest stop, having only water, gatorade, and Fritos...   Huh  But I was at the Gate by 10:30 -- I even stopped to get a photo taken with Pyro Pete.   Smiley

I made another bathroom stop at 78, then continued on to the Beer Stop, hitting there at 12:45, in just under 5 hours bike time, for a 20.0 on-bike average.  Had a bit of muscle cramping, probably due to not drinking the normal amount of fluids due to the cooler temperatures.  Spent three beers worth of time (about an hour) at the Beer Stop seeing who else would come in, but only encountered other GDB folks, no 'benters except for Beertruck (Rick) from Houston.

I took my sweet time cruising in the last three miles, just because... got in basically at 2PM.  It was enjoyable seeing everyone again, as always, and I'm glad nobody got involved in any nastiness out on the road.  Got some great pics, which I'm in the middle of posting, including a lot of photos of random 'bentriders I encountered.

I've sent a "Thank You" card to Susan and the LBCWF staffers, for the RBENT group.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2009, 5:34pm

What great weather this year! It was more like the Hell Freezes Over 100 compared to previous years. A tailwind at the end of a ride - when was the last time that happened on any ride? I kew this wasn't a fast year for me so I just took my time and had fun. Finished a hour later than last year but I felt much better and had a much more enjoyable ride. Saw a lot of bents today but I really miss seeing everyone at the start line. I saw a lot of riders down this year - my observation is that people put themselves in stupid situations just to shave few minutes off their time - it's just not worth it.

Congratulation to all who finished!

Ken

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2009, 6:27pm

These are two of my favorite photos from the trip...

Her beer is larger than her head....

Yes, I'm selling healthy apple-banana-caramel snacks, but gimme a CHEESEBURGER!!!

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2009, 6:28pm

....and here's the flyover at 7AM......