Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bah.. No more group rides for me (Read 950 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Bah.. No more group rides for me
Aug 13th, 2009, 12:09pm

Well if all the accident reports were not enough, and we have had a few locally with the Texas Flyers too, my HR is all screwy so I guess I'm done for near to distant future.

Last night I had to bail on a social ride! They do hit some hills and I used to be able to go up them pretty well but last night I was feeling good and going up and catching some faster folks and I look down 180bpm ack! So I drop down to my lowest gear and slowly go up the hill and get down to 150 *sigh*. And yes for the record it is embarrassing to fly half way up a hill and suddenly stop to a crawl and get passed by people who were half a mile behind you and are much slower riders. Certainly not a good way to show bents can climb.

I rode a few more miles with the group and even mild inclines were causing me to drop waaay off the back. Ray dropped back and chatted with me a bit but when we hit the next regroup I called it quits. I called Christine and talked to her for a few minutes and said yup ok I'm heading home then said my goodbye and headed home while the rest of the group went deep into the hills.  

I am trying to keep my HR in the 130s (medical reasons not training) and now that I'm on some blood pressure medication apparantly it is alot harder to do that and to make it worse I can't sense what my HR is without and have to look at my heart rate monitor. So I'm out of that group for now until things settle down or at least till after HHH. Right now it is sort of a social group training for HHH rather then a social ride.

Two days of commuting seem to be going well. Yesterday I had an average heart rate of 104 with a 134 max on the way in and did 22 miles in about 1:30 with a couple stops for lights and signs here and there. The hills right out the door when I leave work are a little too much but there isn't any traffic going my direction at that point so I can crawl along them at my liesure.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009, 12:29pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Bah.. No more group rides for me
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2009, 12:18pm

I quit using my HR monitor years ago, it never told me anything I wanted to know! - Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2009, 2:00pm

I had a friend who heart rate was too high so he quit wearing his monitor.  The Quadruple bypass he had later that year may have solved his heart rate problem.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2009, 2:01pm

It's even worse when you crawl up the hills and still have your heart rate get way high...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:23pm

Mark - if you want to go for an easy ride, just let me know.   I'd love to ride with you.  It's the first time you've ever bailed on one of our rides, and I certainly understand why.  That is why I kept nagging you to provide full disclosure. You're a dear friend, and we can always ride a slower pace and still have a very enjoyable ride.  Most of my 2009 has been relegated to slower average speeds.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2009, 2:50pm

Thanks Ray.. Yeah, right now as you heard first hand full disclosure is more like if possibly that perhaps this may or may not this blah blah blah with nothing of any use coming from anywhere.  

Soo I'll be taking it really easy for a few weeks at least working in the garden and the rest of the yard to try to get it up to neighborhood specs Smiley

I did ride in today with a freshly lubed chain. Between that and switching my tires last night to some greenspeed schorchers my HR was a blistering 95 avg and it briefly crested 130  Smiley
It was alot easier to get the bike moving and it was coasting better then it was with the tank treads so that was good.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print