Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleburne Goatneck 200k Permanent (Read 1524 times)
Bud_Bent

Cleburne Goatneck 200k Permanent
Aug 8th, 2009, 9:46pm

Steve, Peggy, Nelson, upright rider William, and I rode out of Cleburne at 7:00 am this morning to do the Cleburne Goatneck 200k permanent. This route is an out and back from Cleburne to Glen Rose, then from Glen Rose to Bluff Dale, then back. I knew this would be a tough ride. The roads from Glen Rose to Bluff Dale were already pretty rough, and quite a bit of the roads from Cleburne to Glen Rose have just been re-paved with new boulderseal. The route has 7,500 feet of climbing with some pretty tough hills. As the elevation chart below shows, there aren't many flat stretches. Add all that to a 100 degree afternoon, and you're sure to have a tough ride.

My plan was to stay with a pace I could sustain, and not worry about trying to keep up with anyone, or even stay close. Steve had said that he and Peggy and Nelson weren't going to be in a hurry, so I figured they'd probably be waiting for me at most of the controls. We stayed together at the beginning until the hills started to get tougher at around mile 11. By the time I started down Goatneck Hill at mile 17, there was no one in sight in front of me.  

The new boulderseal started at mile 9 and went most of the way to Glen Rose. We regrouped at the control in Glen Rose at mile 37, and left together for Bluff Dale. I had everyone in sight in front of me until the tough climb up Dinosaur Hill at mile 43, and I was on my own again after that. As the chart shows, the real climbing begins on the trek from Glen Rose to Bluff Dale. I made a point of spinning up these hills and not getting carried away with my effort, and still felt good after the fast descent into Bluff Dale, the turnaround point at mile 64.

William DNF'd at Bluff Dale. I can't remember exactly what he said hurt, but he had an event coming up and didn't want to take a chance on injuring himself before it. Steve, Peggy, Nelson, and I left Bluff Dale together, but with the big climb that starts instantly at that control, and goes on for a couple of miles, I was by myself pretty quickly.

There are some great views on this part of the ride. Tall, rolling hills are everywhere. You could see where a recent fire had charred a lot of trees on Chalk Mountain Hwy. I huffed and puffed mostly at 4 mph up Dinosaur Hill at mile 85. It's even tougher on the return leg. It was getting pretty hot at this point, and I kept pouring water on my arm coolers. That did seem to help.

I still felt good when I reached Glen Rose again at mile 91, although I did want to sit down long enough inside to get cooled off well. Steve, Peggy, and Nelson were already doing that, and said they didn't mind staying longer while I cooled off. Everyone had gotten hot enough that when we left Glen Rose, the pace eased, and we rode together all the way to the New Hope Baptist Church, which was the starting point for past TTTT's, and we stopped there for a break, at mile 110. Peggy was overheated, we were all hot and tired, with aching feet from all the rough roads.

It's only 18 miles from the church to the finish, but it's a tough 18 miles, with a climb up Goatneck Hill as soon as you leave the church, and mostly uphill riding to the finish. I still felt good at the stop, but knew my pace on all the climbing that was left would get me dropped, or hold up the group, so I took a shorter break than everyone else, and took off up Goatneck Hill, figuring everyone would catch me somewhere on the climbing.

With 5 miles to go, I was still riding alone. It seemed only fitting to finish together, and I started debating how to wait for everyone else. I was almost out of water, so stopping at a store had more appeal than just stopping in the shade and finishing my last bit of water. But the ride finishes on Nolan River Road, which really doesn't have any stores before you reach town. I wasn't sure if there was even a store before the finish. So, I just slowed my pace (pretty easily done, as tired as I was getting), and sure enough, just a couple of miles before the finish, Steve and Nelson caught up with me, and informed me that Peggy had had to give up on trying to finish on this brutal day, and stayed at the church (dangit, so sorry, Peggy!).

Steve, Nelson, and I pulled into the Cleburne control together to finish this epic ride at 6:13 pm, for an 11:13 ride time. Total miles were 128.5. Someone remind me again why it is that we like rides this tough...

From my Garmin:

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2021, 4:58pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Cleburne Goatneck 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2009, 10:59pm

it's a brutal 200k, especially in this heat.  Great job everyone.  No shame in sitting some of this one out, for sure.  I always blow through the glen rose control on the way back and go to the tiger mart.  It has the BEST bakery inside.  Yum.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2009, 1:15pm

Ouch, over 11 hours?  Tough stuff...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2009, 1:17pm

Bud rode like a champ, super smart and super strong all day, I was very impressed!  The heat got to me.  I just didn't feel like eating, and consequently didn't get enough calories in, and was pretty bonked at the finish.  Steve was an animal all day (and all night, as we went and rode the new TT course after).  Peggy was very smart, and got her core temperature under control, took a break, and also got some riding in on the new course.
It was great to get to meet William, the Petty's coach, a real nice guy with 3 full Ironmans on his fall Calender just a few weeks away he was smart not to get hurt.   Even after a recovery break, I stuggled with the later riding, but felt better at the very end, I was just sick of the bike.  Didn't get anywhere near the mileage I was planning to do.  I'll put my notes on the course in the other thread.

Such a pleasure to ride with such fine folks!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2009, 3:20pm

For me ,it was a bitter-sweet day. Riding with great friends & our cycling coach was really cool. This was his first LSR event & he picked the TOUGHEST 200k on the LSR menu. The climbing is non stop, BUT the amount of boulder seal is just a beat down on this route(especially on the old TT route). The coaching was bowing to all of us LSR riders.  

Nelson, Bud, & Peggy rode so well. Our coach was really blown away by how strong we all rode. Everything was going "OK" until the area outside of Dinosaur Hill(16% grade hill). That seemed to send everybody for a loop(keep in mind we've been climbing most of the day in heat & it was getting hot in a hurry).

At the Glen Rose control, Peggy mentioned that she was beginning to get a headache. The stretch from Glen Rose to Cleburne is 37+ tough miles, with no stores in between. A few miles from New Hope Baptist Church, Peggy was really suffering some heat exhaustion. She made the courageous(and correct)decision to stay at the shelter(she lives to fight any day ,like next weekend ,we'll get it done next week). I hated to leave her behind, but someone has to ride to my car & drive it back. Nelson & I rode onto to the finish & as Bud said, we rode up to him a few miles from the finish.  

Nelson & I made a quick turnaround & drove back to New Hope Baptist Church & picked up Peggy. We then drove to Glen Rose for some night/early morning/morning practice loops on the new course. I made 3 night loops(approx. 78 miles) after a brutal 213k. My total amount of climbing for Sat/Sun was 16,360'.  

Nelson is such a rock & so knowledgeable. He rode his butt off ,while still suffering from the sun/heat from the 213k. AND Bud, amazing. As Nelson said, these LSR rides are all about managing your ride. That's EXACTLY what Bud did yesterday. He rode his pace & was fresh at the end.  

Peggy did recover & rode a strong practice lap on the TT course before it started getting hot(AGAIN) this morning. Congratulations all.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2009, 6:19pm

wow - what a ride!  I wish I'd known you guys were doing the glen rose loops today - I'd have gone with ya instead of driving all the way to Celina.  What did you think of the new course?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2009, 6:46pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 9th, 2009, 6:19pm:
wow - what a ride!  I wish I'd known you guys were doing the glen rose loops today - I'd have gone with ya instead of driving all the way to Celina.  What did you think of the new course?

Greg, my loops were ridden at 1:30am, 4:00am & 7:00am.  We got a hotel a hotel in Glen Rose, we weren't sure what time we would be riding(and William drove the course looking for us as well). Anything is an improvement over the HORRIBLE chip seal that has been thrown down on the old course(they didn't fill in potholes or any other roads defects). The new course is much more challenging(more climbing), more technical(more turns), only .6 of a mile of boulder seal(unfortunately at one of the toughest climbs on the course).  

Then there are several amenities(hotels, restaurants, convenience stores) at the start/finish. AND real bathrooms at the shelter.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2009, 6:51pm

sounds good to me.  I'd rather have the boulder seal on a steeper climb - it won't affect my overall average that way since I'll already be crawling.  It's gonna be an experience for sure!

Gonna be Interesting  this year!

Why on earth did you do the loops at those times?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2009, 8:27pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 9th, 2009, 6:51pm:
sounds good to me.  I'd rather have the boulder seal on a steeper climb - it won't affect my overall average that way since I'll already be crawling.  It's gonna be an experience for sure!

Gonna be Interesting  this year!

Why on earth did you do the loops at those times?

Night training & to follow up with a tough 200+k. AND it wasn't HOT!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2009, 8:57pm

Sorry to hear about Peggy.  Was this your last 200K of the series, or just the one for this month?

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2009, 9:04pm

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Aug 9th, 2009, 8:57pm:
Sorry to hear about Peggy.  Was this your last 200K of the series, or just the one for this month?

Dan,thanks. Peggy's fine now & rode a good lap this morning at the TT course. As you & others have mentioned(and we all know this),that when you do these ultra events, sometimes the ride gets the better of you. She's so tough, she bounced back with a positive attitude right away. Hey,this route kicked our coaches butt(in his defense , he's been training super hard for a full Tri in Canada in a few weeks).

Nope, we have to get Peggy a 200K for August,then 1 in September(for both of us), then it all starts over again.  

Congratulations on the progress.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print