Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear ended by a bike commuter.. sorta ;-) (Read 407 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Rear ended by a bike commuter.. sorta ;-)
Jul 31st, 2009, 11:51am

Sooo. Months ago I ran into a fellow bicycle commuter who also works down the street from my building and I find out he is building a house right down the street from me. He just moved this week and he caught me at a stop sign while I was heading in so I was showing him my route to avoid some hills.
He asked me if I went through this little cut through and I said yes and as we approached the stop sign I thougth I said well here is our turn. We stop *shock* and then I thought I saw him heading towards the hill so I cut right and then something suddenly hits my aerotrunk and starts pushing me over. Oooops. I guess it is good we actually stopped at the sign rather then rolling it. No falls or broken bike parts.
Lesson of the day two people who ride alone on commutes shouldn't ride side by side at intersections even if they think they know what the other is doing. Oh and as I thought the aerotrunk works great in case of a rear collision Smiley

We continued on for another 12 miles before he went straight and took a left without further incident but I was dropping back before any turns to help avoid any.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Re: Rear ended by a bike commuter.. sorta ;-)
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2009, 1:02pm

Great story reminds me of riding with a friend last winter on the trails in Plano.  I stopped short due to an unexpected car, I hard a crash in back of me as he fell over.  So he leads now, so  I can crash on the next sharp stop.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Rear ended by a bike commuter.. sorta ;-)
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2009, 8:01pm

Quote from evblazer on Jul 31st, 2009, 11:51am:

He asked me if I went through this little cut through and I said yes and as we approached the stop sign I thougth I said well here is our turn. We stop *shock* and then I thought I saw him heading towards the hill so I cut right and then something suddenly hits my aerotrunk and starts pushing me over. Oooops. I guess it is good we actually stopped at the sign rather then rolling it. No falls or broken bike parts.

I was at a Hotter'n'Hell years ago and the 50 mile paceline was on the wrong side of the 100 mile paceline at the split.   Smiley  It was quite ugly.   Smiley

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print