Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 7:30am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Minimalist Commuting (EVblazer's favorite subject) (Read 4268 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Minimalist Commuting (EVblazer's favorite subj
Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2009, 3:29pm

When I had first gotten my aerotrunk I used a 3/4" piece of pvc to go horozontally on top of the seat that had a T in the middle to lock it to the headrest mount or where the seat mesh comes together in the back. Of course I still had the rack back there so it wouldn't have hit my tire anyhow but it did wag around a bit.
When I locked it down to the rack it stopped wagging and eventually when I tore the straps and webbing due to it getting caught in the rear wheel I got the ortlieb quick release along with a double layer of coroplast stiffner to lock it to the rack. I currently never remove the aerotrunk because it is pretty awkward to carry and it sometimes took a minute or two to get the quick release, two carribiners and the velcro through the D ring attached to my rack/seat/headrest to hold the thing. I have a bag with my clothes and other stuff I put it in and my laptop bag and just remove them and leave the aerotrunk on the bike.

I remember seeing this link over at the bacchetta site which may be alot lighter then my rack/ortlieb combo. http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/photo.asp?photoid=222&asorttype=6&a page=1 I have a set of seat struts for a bacchetta laying around that you are free to have if you want them to play around with for the aerotrunk. You could attach them a the seat (or fender mount if you have one) and then bolt them to something that would be mounted to bottom of the aerotrunk.  

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2009, 3:30pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2009, 3:57pm

Thanks for the seat strut offer, I'll check in with you when I get a chance to play around with this.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #17 - Sep 16th, 2009, 12:40am

The seat struts look like a good way to go, or the Bacchetta Back Rack. I used that on my daughter's Agio to support the BrainBox for a while until we did something else. It's light and flat and maybe has a good chance of supporting the Aerotrunk pretty well, depending on seat angle, etc.
 http://www.bacchettashop.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154ab078cd9e155/shopdata/0010_A ccessories/0030_Racks/product_details.shopscript?article=0010_Back%2BRack%2B%3D281007%3D29

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2009, 8:26am

It'll work the yellow bike holding up the pretty green one has an aerotrunk mounted to the bacchetta rack. I had to use coroplast because the rack just isn't anywhere near long enough to support much of the aerotrunk and I eventually had to use seat struts to get the rack more level and some space between it and the fender but it works well enough and if you keep the heavy stuff up front you shouldn't have a problem. The rack struts I got were pretty short if I reclined the seat much at all. In the pic I had the seat pretty high so it worked ok.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009, 11:28am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print