Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 5:36am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Minimalist Commuting (EVblazer's favorite subject) (Read 4256 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Minimalist Commuting (EVblazer's favorite subject)
Jul 29th, 2009, 2:59pm

Well I didn't have any meetings today so I just packed the minimal change of clothes that I could fit in the brainbag (shorts, and sportshirt) and went without the underseat panniers on my Strada.  The result was a nice 2mph+ increase in speed even with a headwind.  Wow what a difference. SO I know I've chuckled at the AeroTrunks a couple of you guys have, but I'm curious now if it'd work on a Bacchetta Euromesh, and how much can you really put in there without any struts supporting that honker.

Thanks for advice,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Minimalist Commuting (EVblazer's favorite subj
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2009, 3:22pm

It's too wide for that seatback...  although somebody MAY make an adapter for it!!!!!!   I have put a laptop in the front pocket, and change of clothes (but no shoes) in the rest, without additional support needed.   'Front loading' is obviously better...

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009, 3:23pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2009, 8:09pm

http://synthetictransport.com/trip.html has some pictures of the Coroplast panniers we built for our trips. One shows large panniers for a EM seat and the other is for the carbon seat but would work with a few mods for a laid-back EM seat also.

Several people have asked that I post something regarding these and I've been very lazy and still am. I don't really want to create a big page explaining how we made them as there are dozens of ways to to do this sort of thing. You basically get some sign material, hack it up and zip-tie the pieces together. You can use hot-melt glue to fill in the flutes (so they don't get full of crud in the rain). You can use other ways of putting them together. You can get really fancy and heat-curve the edges and go to pains to conceal the zip-ties. The harder part is convincing yourself to just start playing with the stuff. It's dirt cheap. Just takes a little spare time and space in front of the tv to work on them when there's nothing good to watch.

The panniers for the Corsa were so aerodynamic and rode so well I would very often forget they were there, until I hit a 15+% grade hill or such. Maybe a 1mph speed penalty sometimes, but then I hit my high speed of 40mph flat ground twice with a tailwind when I was using these panniers.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2009, 10:54am

Guess I never posted the reply I wrote. When I was up in CO talking to Kelvin he mentioned the pic on the site used the euromesh/m5(?) adapter they make to fit the thinner seat along with a foam wedge of some sort to keep the angle up off the tire.  
The adapter wouldn't allow the use of a headrest without surgery and I remember someone on the B list had made struts to hold their's up so I figured I'd just reuse my rack and connect it there.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2009, 11:35am

Thanks for reminding me of that problem with my Aeropod. It's made to fit a couple different seat sizes by having two different pockets that wrap around the seat. The narrow one that fits my carbon seat allowed the aeropod to sag even further at the sides which made it almost impossible to use safely so I had to make a coroplast pocket stuffer that fit in the larger pocket and reinforced the sides of the unit in order to keep it off the rear tire, but it still allowed the use of the headrest port. I just use the larger pocket for the seat as the smaller pocket it was intended for was pretty much useless. The headrest port stitches gave out after the first trip so I had to completely resew that area also.  But that same area on the Bacchetta BrainBox came unstitched also and I had to resew that so the moral of the story might be that pretty much anything you buy will likely need repairs and modifications, not terribly unlike something you might build. I've used the Aeropod with mods for over 8k miles now so had forgotten what I went through when I first got it. The main annoying problem I have with it is the zippers. The bungee cord tabs sewn into the lid *always* get in the way of the zippers.

The rack is a good idea. We used the Bacchetta rack with the mounts essentially upside down to raise the rack up high enough to support the panniers and brainbox for the Agio with EM seat. The lower rack struts clamp to the seat stays and the top rack mounts bolt to the top seat stay at the EM seat stay mounts. You can somewhat see it in the pics in the above url. When we rode to the Bacchetta factory, Mike did a doubletake of that one then gave me a little grin.

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2009, 11:45am by goatstick »  

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2009, 10:17pm

nabbed a used one with adapter, will give it a try out on the Strada.  I've been over cramming things into the Brain Bag ever since I calculated the 2+ mph avg drop I get with the under seat panniers!  Of course I have to run them tomorrow, too much stuff.

Thanks for the input!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2009, 9:14pm

My new to me Aerotrunk arrived this evening, and I'm a little less than thrilled with the mounting on a Euromesh seat.  Lets just say even with the adapter its a no go right now.  I saw on the Bacchetta Forum where someone made a pocket out of the top sleeve tie down to fit the seat snugly and reported much better results, so will be trying that eventually when I get around to that project, but if you have if a normal wide back mesh seat and are hankering to try out an Aerotrunk pretty cheap let me know!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2009, 11:08pm

I had the same feeling when I got my Aeropod in. But before you modify the Aerotrunk, maybe try the coroplast stuffer I mentioned. Cut out a rectangle that fits the larger pocket and still allows it to fit over the seat snugly. The Coroplast stuffer fits over the front/top of the seat. This keeps the fabric on the sides of the pocket more taunt and helps keep the thing from drooping too much. The other thing I had to do with my Aeropod was to change the use of the tiedown straps so that instead of pulling the thing down, they lifted it up and against the seat. I don't know how to tell you to do this on yours as I ran the strap through the bottom of my headrest to accomplish this, but maybe you'll get an idea. Took me a number of different attempts to come up with something that worked well here. If I don't do both of the above, that Aeropod would end up about five inches below the top of where my rear tire would be.

And as I continue to put miles on the Aeropod, I'm having to replace the plastic panels with Coroplast also, because the original ones split. It gets a lot of use...

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2009, 6:13am

that's a lot of money to pay for a bag that should be stiff enough to be solid.  Especially at the weight of the bag.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2009, 7:28am

Yes Kent the Coroplast Stiffner is a definite try, and I believe I have it conceptually, fits better with my limited skills than sewing a pocket on the bag.  And I agree Greg, I can think of several improvements to the default attachment scheme!  Fortunately I got this used, so if it doesn't ultimately work out perhaps I can move it along to somebody else.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2009, 9:12am

Quote from Kwijybow on Sep 15th, 2009, 7:28am:
Fortunately I got this used, so if it doesn't ultimately work out perhaps I can move it along to somebody else.

Take Care,
Nelson.

That would look very nice on my Stratus XP.

Just sayin...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2009, 9:57am

Oh Nelson I meant for the aeropos.  It's designed to work with the bacchetta euomesh and such, so when Kent says he has to add something to a 150 dollar bag to make it work correctly, it makes me go googly eyed.   Smiley

Guess that settles it - I'm buying the rans z-bag for the x-stream.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2009, 10:29am

I know Ray likes his Aeropod, I think they are made to work better with the Euromesh, and if I wasn't looking for something for commuting I'd be pretty happy with a brain bag, or aeropod.  But the AeroTrunk is definitely intended for a wide back mesh seat, and the adapter is just too flimsy in my opinion.  It seems pretty well put together though.  You must be looking for something bigger than the Bentup bag, because that seems really sweet for a smaller bag.  Kent definitely seems to had some issues with his Aeropod though.

I'm actually focusing my efforts on another machine right now, so the Strada will have to wait until later.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2009, 10:33am

The Zbag looks nice but I don't see a headrest slot in the top, so I'd have to open the seams and hand sew it back up to make one. Though the stitching in the Aeropod's headrest slot tore out after a bit of use and I had to hand-sew it back anyway. And the Bacchetta BrainBox I have doesn't have a slot either... Note that I'm currrntly using the Aeropod so though there have been some issues, it's the best answer I have right now.

I figure nothing will fit the wide range of bikes and how people want to use them so it's down to finding the closest fit and modifying it the least. I'd like to see the Zbag in person. Will have to check in with Mike the next time I'm in Austin to see how it compares to the two bags I now have. Also need to check out Dana's new bag.

The BrainBox is imo a little better-made than the Aeropod but the Aeropod has a few features that I wanted a little more at the time. I figure I'll wait until the Aeropod fails or I find another bag that's even better. Or maybe break down and make my own tailbox...

BTW, what does TTTT allow here? Are any of these considered illegal aerodynamic devices? :^)  Though all are too large and heavy, I was just wondering and didn't see anything about them in the rules...  

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2009, 10:36am by goatstick »  

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2009, 11:04am

Brainbox sized rear bags have always slid right by and have remained classified as unfaired.  I don't know if anybody tried running and Aerotrunk sized bag, but that might prompt some unwanted attention.  I certainly plan to run my brainbag on my Corsa, or Strada if I have to go to my backup bike'.  I don't believe any fairings have been run in the last few years either.  I think way back when somebody entered a F-40, and I believe their results are actually classified as recumbent, not HPV.  So good question, I think unless somebody protests all the funny bikes are recumbents!

looks like the 2004 24HR for the F-40 with a 220 mile result listed as recumbent

http://www.tt24tt.com/Pictures/2004/images/phpslideshow.php?directory=.&curr entPic=97

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2009, 11:15am by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print