Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mineral Oil Drizzle (Read 531 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Mineral Oil Drizzle
Jul 17th, 2009, 8:37am

Well they did say chance of showers today.

Left the house with my wife this morning and I split off down bridlewood as she went off towards her work about a mile away. When I tapped the front brake to get behind her I coincidently felt a little drizzle and felt relieved that I might have a nice ride to work with a little bit of rain to cool me off.
Sooo. Up comes the next stop sign and notice my front brake is barely working and I felt down and find that it's all wet. *sigh* I was always kind of worried about how difficult it was to get any parts for my hydrolic rim brakes. It tooks me 3 weeks to get just brake pads from one of the two vendors I could find that carried them. My LBS couldn't order them and in fact had never even seem them or carried any maguira stuff even though maguira lists them as a prefered dealer. No cracks in the hose and it looks like it is coming from the cylinder itself. So I guess I'll get to practice riding this weekend on some other bikes to see if I can get futher then three miles since I may be without the hurricane for a while. Good news is my bike made my riding decision for the weekend so no more pressure there  Cool

Now I just need to decide to try and fix or replace the hydros or get an adapter and cable actuated brakes so there aren't two hoses in the way of the chainline that require chaintubes to avoid rubbing through.

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2009, 8:38am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Re: Mineral Oil Drizzle
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2009, 9:11am

Quote:
My LBS couldn't order them and in fact had never even seem them or carried any maguira stuf

I purchased a set of Maguria brake pads from RBM in Richardson about two years ago.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2009, 9:22am

Quote from jcsadowski on Jul 17th, 2009, 9:11am:
Quote:
My LBS couldn't order them and in fact had never even seem them or carried any maguira stuf

I purchased a set of Maguria brake pads from RBM in Richardson about two years ago.  

Rim brake pads? hm I'll have to give them a call maybe they have a bleed kit and/or replacement hoses and olives. Maybe the leak is coming from the connection which would save me some money. They lasted me over 5100 miles and whatever the previous 3 owners put on them before having a problem so it is worth a shot before going into the unknown.  

Well actually I take that back. I'm in the unknown now since rim hydros use different hoses and connectors then other hydros and any other differences I've yet to find. With normal V-Brakes I'd do a cable swap and done.

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2009, 10:24am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2009, 11:03am

About a year ago I broke hose in a minor accident.

RBM replaced the hose and bled the brakes and it worked fine.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print