Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 10:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A tale of tires and a tailbox (Read 2134 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

A tale of tires and a tailbox
Jul 14th, 2009, 7:49pm

Okay so over a month ago I ordered an Optima tailbox shown here...

http://www.rbr.info/images/stories/lowracersale/optima-baron-tb-1.jpg

It mounts to the back of the seat and after some minor adjustments and noise-proofing it worked well in fact it added around 1 to 1.5 mph average and on top of that NOBODY COULD DRAFT ME! Only problem was it allowed very little clearance between the tailbox and tire so I removed the fatter rear Kojak and replaced it with a thinner Stelvio. This worked well for about 2 weeks until Saturdays Peach Pedal where apparently the rear tire rubbed against the tailbox and ruined the tire....Tailbox is now off the bike but if you can get one GET ONE!

This leads me to the 2nd issue tires. the Schwalbe Kojaks were getting a bit worn so I though I'd try the Stelvios again and order the new Duranos for later. Here is my take on them

Stelvio = Decent tires however due to the higher pressure they have a rough ride, I always worried about pinch flats on some of the bridge joints at White Rock. Okay speed but no idea how durable they are as far as mileage. I put on maybe 500 miles on them.

Durano = Supposedly the Stelvio with a slightly different tread pattern, I had them on 2 days and got a pinch flat, seemed to be not quite as rough as the Stelvio. Speed was okay and supposedly they will last about 6,000 miles although I put on maybe 60.

Kojak = Bigger tire than the Durano and Stelvio (1.35") however is it really faster? Who knows but it sure does feel like it. As an example Sunday morning on the Duranos I managed 19.6 mph after 4 laps around White Rock lake, Sunday evening on the front Kojak (Durano still on the back) I managed 20.3. No worry about pinch flats, much smoother ride and the last pair lasted over 4,000 miles with plenty of tread left.

So if you are in the market for new tires give the Kojaks a try, I like em almost as much as the old Vredestein S-Licks.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: A tale of tires and a tailbox
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2009, 9:50pm

The Kojaks are listed as 1.35", but the ones I have actually measure 1.25" width, and I've heard the same thing from other users...

Cool data on the tailbox effect!!!  I guess I should use my Aerotrunk whenever I do time trials...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2009, 9:52pm

Nice tailbox.  I'm glad to hear your results 'cause I've been hoping to pick up this one...

http://www.angletechcycles.com/accessories/aerotrunk.htm

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2009, 11:56pm

Is there no way to shim that tailbox up 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch to give more clearance for the kojaks? I really do miss my kojaks the vittoria randonuers I have on the hurricanes are tough and look like they'll last forever but are really slow.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2009, 1:16pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 14th, 2009, 9:50pm:
The Kojaks are listed as 1.35", but the ones I have actually measure 1.25" width, and I've heard the same thing from other users...

Cool data on the tailbox effect!!!  I guess I should use my Aerotrunk whenever I do time trials...

I use White Rock as my reference, the funny thing was that with the tailbox even when I felt I was loafing I was doing +20 average. I don't know who makes it (NovawhatevertheyareintheNeatherlands) but if they would just make the wheel well slightly wider I wouldn't have been a problem.

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2009, 1:19pm

Quote from evblazer on Jul 14th, 2009, 11:56pm:
Is there no way to shim that tailbox up 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch to give more clearance for the kojaks? I really do miss my kojaks the vittoria randonuers I have on the hurricanes are tough and look like they'll last forever but are really slow.

Nope, The problem with the tailbox is it rubs on the side of the tire not the top. I think part of the problem is since it mounts to the back of the seat you get some rubbing from the seat flex.

I'm going to miss that thing....<sniff>

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2009, 1:21pm

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Jul 14th, 2009, 9:52pm:
Nice tailbox.  I'm glad to hear your results 'cause I've been hoping to pick up this one...

I can't say if you will get the same results, truthfully the one I had was more of a luggage box than a racing fairing, it wasn't "supposed" to improve the speed that I know of

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2009, 2:28pm

Quote from mleuck on Jul 15th, 2009, 1:19pm:

Nope, The problem with the tailbox is it rubs on the side of the tire not the top. I think part of the problem is since it mounts to the back of the seat you get some rubbing from the seat flex.

Well yeah but isn't the cutout like an inverted v ^ in the bottom of the tailbox.. If you got it higher you'd have more side to side room. Of course laying down all that power you might have too much seat flex to matter  Smiley

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2009, 2:30am

Why not cut the tailbox a little wider?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2009, 3:57pm

Quote from evblazer on Jul 15th, 2009, 2:28pm:
Quote from mleuck on Jul 15th, 2009, 1:19pm:

Well yeah but isn't the cutout like an inverted v ^ in the bottom of the tailbox.. If you got it higher you'd have more side to side room. Of course laying down all that power you might have too much seat flex to matter  Smiley

Tried that, it's not as much of a V as you might think, it's pretty straight down from the top

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2009, 3:58pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jul 16th, 2009, 2:30am:
Why not cut the tailbox a little wider?

Not possible, it would destroy it

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

A tale of tires and a tailbox update
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2009, 3:24pm

I now have Kojaks front and back so to any of you on the Paris ride last Saturday I didn't feel much of that chipseal and still did a 19.5 average Smiley

Also I just ordered the full Optima Baron Race fairing that should be at my door in a few weeks, should give an even bigger boost in speed without the wheel clearance issues. It'll give all the roadies at White Rock another reason to hate my guts.

IP Logged
Hull 697

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2009, 2:16pm

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Jul 14th, 2009, 9:52pm:

Emailed you.  I have a used Aerotrunk I'll part with cheap.

In-Line Wheelchair Rider

Charlie
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2009, 2:32pm

I'm sorta thinking about an Aerotrunk, so if you have one I'd be interested.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print