Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 2:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain tubing (Read 1294 times)
Cookie

rbent member

Chain tubing
Jul 13th, 2009, 1:41pm

I am now a proud owner of Stratus XP  Smiley  
I only have one gripe. The chain grease on my right leg after every ride  Smiley
What are the pros and cons about using Teflon chain tubing to help eliminate this mess ?  Smiley

Jerry

Cookie
Use to walk but Now I ride
2007 Rans Stratus XP

Bent in Granbury
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Chain tubing
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2009, 3:24pm

Quote from Cookie on Jul 13th, 2009, 1:41pm:
I only have one gripe. The chain grease on my right leg after every ride  Smiley
What are the pros and cons about using Teflon chain tubing to help eliminate this mess ?  Smiley

Jerry

I'm not sure about the Stratus, but I was having the same issue with my Corsa.  With Shellene's help we figured out the best solution (and no, it wasn't "sell your bike").  I was getting chain rub whenever there wasn't any real pressure on the chain.  All I did was start riding with my right foot higher when coasting and the problem was solved for me.

/ You mileage may vary.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2009, 3:44pm

Quote:
The chain grease on my right leg after every ride

Buy soap

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2009, 3:49pm

I actually went and put chain tubes on my Giro 26 way back when. With all the stop and go, mounting/dismounting and walking it about I'd get coated. I put two tubes up front and they worked relatively well.

Pros:
No more chain lub on your legs or on the Bacchetta logo (I think I constantly knocked the chain into the frame)

Cons:
Noisy
Tricky to install
Another item to maintain and make sure it doesn't slip off and into your chain ring, idler or cassette.
Depending on configuration might rob you of some percent or perhaps a handful of watts of power.

I actually run a chaintube right now on my hurricane in place of the front idler and to keep the chain off the hydrolic hoses on the front/rear brakes. Since the chain tubes are actually redirecting the chain and not just covering it I probably experience a greater loss then most. I actually found the power side chain is eating a gash through the return side chain tube since installing the floating rear power idler. That probable makes it nosier and is probably slowing me down on some molecular level. Can't find a way around it though so for now I protect the brake lines until I can figure it out or I get rid of the hydros (best brakes ever) and go to v-brakes with an adapter. Of course it looks like even those might cause chain rub without the tubes.

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2009, 3:51pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2009, 8:10pm

Quote from Cookie on Jul 13th, 2009, 1:41pm:

Jerry

I've had similar issues, and it is also dependent upon whether you have a standard or carbon fibre seat (pan) -- I apparently sit lower down on the CF seat, and had significant leg grease building -- but switching back to the standard seat got rid of it!!!

There's no real downside, as such, to tubing, other than a minor noise increase. Tthe trick is going to be how/where to anchor it to keep it from getting into the front DR and gearing.  I'll look at mine to see if I can come up with something.

You could also switch to White Lightning wax...  Wink

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Cookie

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2009, 9:43pm

Thanks for the info.  Smiley
I think I can solve the noise problem. I use hearing aids, on/off problem solved. Smiley

Jerry

Cookie
Use to walk but Now I ride
2007 Rans Stratus XP

Bent in Granbury
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print