Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 10:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fender stiffness improvement? (Read 428 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Fender stiffness improvement?
Jul 6th, 2009, 6:08pm

I posted this in the Ride Reports section, but thought I'd put it here, too...  any thoughts on reducing lateral "wagging" back and forth of Planet Bike plastic fenders at high speeds???

The front fender has a ~8" long unsupported extension past the frame attachment tab, and when I would hit ~20mph or so, or into a heavy wind, this section vibrates back and forth like crazy... .  When I got home and took the fenders off, it looks like the edges of the fenders had been contacting the tire sidewalls whenever they vibrated like that, because the sidewalls were discolored with whitish dust (ghosts of fender use past, from the inside of the fender.).  If that's the case, I'm glad I didn't blow out a sidewall!!!!    

I actually had the "front" fender on backwards, to give more coverage toward the front, and the extension closest to me was vibrating -- and when it's on "regular", that same section vibrates when it's pointed forward.  Any thoughts on how to eliminate this effect on Planet Bike plastic fenders?  Cut away the "cupped" edges in that section, to reduce air capture?

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2009, 6:10pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Re: Fender stiffness improvement?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2009, 12:35am

I had this problem on my Trike (Catrike Road) not so much from speed but from chipseal.
It was so bad the rear fender broke in half.

I solved the problem by adding extra stays to the front fenders and a extra set when I replaced the rear fender.

Those cupped edges adds stiffness to the part even tho it's not its main function.

Bob Wand

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2009, 12:38am by NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print