Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peachy Keene 200k Permanent (Read 1596 times)
Bud_Bent

Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
Jul 5th, 2009, 7:12pm

12 LSR riders left southwest Arlington at 6:30 am this morning to ride my Peachy Keene 200k permanent. Paul and I were the only two recumbents. The weather radar looked very threatening before the ride, with rain all over the place to the west, moving this direction. I usually skip rides when there is this much rain around, but considering the heat we've been having, I decided to take a chance today. I thought that if we could get far enough south soon enough, we could miss most of the rain, and that maybe it would be gone by the time we traveled back north.

It was sprinkling rain as we left the first control, and continued much of the first 25 miles. At one point, the pavement was starting to look wet enough to get slick, but we never got a hard rain, and the roads remained in good shape. After we left the second control at Cleburne, the wind, which had been pretty light to that point, started blowing from the southwest, and slowly picked up, as it kept changing more to the west.

Mark M rode off the front of the group quite a bit, but the rest of us pretty much stayed together until after the Itasca control at mile 65. As usual, I was off the back on a number of hills, but caught back up pretty quickly. The route heads up Orphan Hill right after Itasca, though, and as usual, I fell back quite a ways on that hill. I caught up with most of the group a mile or so later, but noticed that Paul and Gary G were missing from the group, so I knew they were off the front. So, just like I had good sense, I took off around the group and hammered the rest of the way on the mostly downhill roads to the next control at Maypearl at mile 81. I ended up catching Gary just before the control, but didn't quite catch Paul.

The next stretch, from Maypearl to Alvarado, is always tough for me, if I'm trying to keep up with a group of uprights. It's not big hills, but it's quite a bit of elevation gain on mostly false flats. And by this time, the wind had switched to the north, and picked up quite a bit, and this is where the ride turns back north. It was quickly obvious that I was hitting the wall here. And Paul, who hadn't done a 200k yet this year, was plainly hitting the wall, too. So, we let the group go, and settled in on an easier pace. We made a quick unscheduled stop before the next control at Alvarado, and another one before the finish.

The humidity was high, and the north wind slowed us quite a bit on this last stretch, but with lots of clouds around, it was a cooler breeze than I've felt lately, so we didn't complain much about the wind. I ended up with 124.4 miles, and we finished in just over 9:30, and joined the rest of the group for dinner at the Sweet Tomato restaurant. Like many of these summer rides, it got tough at the end, but was a fun day. Thanks for joining me, Paul.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2009, 7:17pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2009, 8:08pm

Yes, the rain forecast didn't look too promising, and I figured we would get drenched in the 2nd half as the front continued to move south and east...  but with an overcast sky and cooler temps, I figured it was worth a shot, since I hadn't done a single 200K this year so far!!  Sadly, I didn't take the camera with me this time, anticipating we would get pretty wet...  and I missed some good shots...

Anticipating rain, I spent a while last night putting my fenders on the prototype I'm riding, and determined that they didn't thread the rear bolt holes for the fender struts -- so I put nuts on the inside to secure things, went up and down the street a bit, and pronounced all good for the morning.

We took off, and about a half mile down the road, I shifted into the 11T in back, and my chain locked up.  Sure enough, not enough clearance for a nut to be on the inside of the rear dropout!!!  So with Bud's help, I removed the bolt/nut and tie-wrapped the strut in place, and all was well.  (Note:  I was the ONLY bike with fenders... these LSR people just don't CARE if they get soaked or not...  Me, I was trying to keep my seatpad dry, to avoid carrying another 10 pounds of water.)  The group had paused a couple miles up, so we caught up quickly, and basically, everybody (except Gary and Dan off the front) rode together at about 16-17 to the 1st control in Cleburne, and rode from there at 20-21 all the way to the 65 mile control in Itasca.  We could tell we were south of the front, because it was getting a bit toasty, and we were dealing with a southwest wind most of the way there.

While we were at the Itasca stop, a bunch of the riders were sitting on the "front stoop" of the store, in the shade, downing their snacks and drinks....  when out of the store comes a ~3-yr-old and his Mom, and the kid proceeds to just plop himself down beside everybody and have a sit down...  it was pretty funny...   And there was a teenager behind the counter at the store -- he asked how far we were going, and I said "65 miles down, another 60 to go!"  His eyes got real wide, and he just shook his head, saying "Shoot....  ain't no way...."   Cheesy

Leaving Itasca, you quickly come upon what's being called "Orphan Hill" -- but after this, it was supposedly mostly downhill and rollers for the next ~15 miles to the next stop in Maypearl.  Orphan Hill has a ~1/2 mile incline approaching it, then it probably hits 6% plus for the next half mile or more.  I was the second one up the main hill, feeling good and able to hold ~10mph without too much problem, about 25 yards behind Gary Gottlieb -- and once we hit the top and commenced the more downhill section, I suddenly decided to treat it like a TTTT run all the way to Maypearl, leaving Gary and everybody else behind.  And yes, it's VERY much like the TTTT course backside, with some very nice downhills/flats, and some challenging rollers.   Unfortunately, about 2 miles before Maypearl, I started to run outta gas, and could see Gary and somebody else gaining on me (which turned out to be Bud, to my surprise!), but I "held them off" to the control stop.  But apparently, everybody ELSE was chasing THEM, too  Cheesy , because it was less than 5 minutes before the entire gang was at the control -- and it was HOT.  At this point (Mile 81), I decided that what I had just done was pretty stupid, considering we still had 40+ miles to go....

Sure enough, we headed out all together after the break, starting to do some climbing to Alvarado, and within a mile I found the tank empty...  Smiley  as did Bud, to a certain extent...  so we two just agreed to press on at our own pace, which was about 12 to 14 into the now-northwest wind, and climbing hills at about 8, as the others probably all kept cranking at 18 or so.  I really bonked, but took a few Sportlegs and stuff to try to recover a bit.  Over the next 20 miles to the Alvarado control, my overall averaged dropped from 17.5 to 16...  we were hurting, and it was still hot.  But, we were headed back north, and had about half sun and half cloud cover, playing with the edges of the front.

[Side note -- Terrie was flying to New Mexico today, to attend a seminar in Taos...  she texted me in the middle of our death march section, saying "Drinking Margaritas by the poooooool -- Yummy!"    I simply texted back "MILE 95..."   Smiley ]

The rest of the gang was still at Alvarado when we got there, as was Mark Metcalf, who earlier had gone off the front solo after about 50 miles.  We were surprised to hear Mark say he was DNF'ing, but he apparently wasn't feeling well, and had called his wife to pick him up.  So Bud and I took our time, not really recovered yet, and let the main group go, but headed out about 10 minutes later for the last 20 mile stretch.

The wind was picking up out of the north, but the cloud cover was increasing, so while we didn't enjoy the headwinds, we DEFINITELY enjoyed the cooler temperatures.  Within a half hour or so, both of us had mostly gotten our second wind, and were back cruising at 16 to 20, though still tired.  We probably finished about 30 minutes behind the main group, and my computer showed an average of just over 16 for the day.  And really, we never got ANY signficant rain the entire ride, even in the second half.  So it was a good choice to go ride... and we were VERY thankful for the cooler temps.

Bud, I appreciate you hanging back for the last 40 -- I was really cooked after that silliness to Maypearl!!!  But may I say that the Peachy Keene is an EXCELLENT 200K route - good roads, minimal chipseal, and not much traffic.  There are a couple of tricky turns one could miss, but, Well Designed, Sir!!!    Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2009, 8:14pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2009, 8:36pm

Sounds Like a nice ride!  Paul I Like fenders!  You know you might be OK with getting all yucky, but when you start throwing it on everyone else -- well that's just rude!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2009, 5:59pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 5th, 2009, 8:36pm:
Sounds Like a nice ride!  Paul I Like fenders!  
Nelson.

They certainly have their purposes...  however, the front fender has a ~8" long section unsupported past the frame attachment tab, and when I would hit ~20mph or so, or into a heavy wind, it would vibrate back and forth like crazy...  I even had it installed backwards for better forward coverage, but it acts the same when installed normally.  When I got home and took the fenders off, it looks like the edges of the fenders had been contacting the tire sidewalls whenever they vibrated like that, because the sidewalls were discolored with whitish dust (ghosts of fender use past, from the inside of the fender.).  If that's the case, I'm glad I didn't blow out a sidewall!!!!   Shocked

Any ideas on how to eliminate this "wagging"??

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2009, 6:12pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2009, 8:31pm

I've never had enough "wagging" for it to be a problem I guess.  About the only part of my fenders that can contact my sidewalls is the arm braces.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2009, 10:25pm

The graph below shows the elevation profile for Peachy Keene. The second highest point of the ride is the top of Orphan Hill at mile 70, then the lowest point is the Maypearl control at mile 81. That's why I was able to come from a half mile behind everyone to pass everyone except Paul and Gary on that stretch.

You can also see that the next 20 miles from Maypearl at mile 81 to Alvarado at mile 101 is a lot of elevation gain, even though there aren't any big hills. It's not a fun stretch if you're going against a wind and just blew yourself up on the last stretch.

Gary was riding a 200k for the third day in a row, and still had the strength to chase Paul downhill all the way from Orphan Hill to Maypearl on an upright. There are some strong riders in LSR.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2021, 4:56pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2009, 7:46am

It's kinda humorous what we sometimes call "downhill" or "uphill"...  ~300 feet downslope over 11 miles is about a half a percent average grade...  but Lord help us, it makes a difference...    Smiley

Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2009, 9:15pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 7th, 2009, 7:46am:
It's kinda humorous what we sometimes call "downhill" or "uphill"... ~300 feet downslope over 11 miles is about a half a percent average grade... but Lord help us, it makes a difference... Smiley

Yeah, but you add a head/tail wind to that and even that becomes like a mountain in effort.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2009, 8:58am

It also makes a big difference to those of us who are lung challenged. I can hang with some pretty fast upright riders on a 2 percent descent, but on a 2 percent incline that's very long, I'll struggle to keep up with anyone.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2009, 9:01am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2009, 3:06pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jul 8th, 2009, 8:58am:
It also makes a big difference to those of us who are lung challenged. I can hang with some pretty fast upright riders on a 2 percent descent, but on a 2 percent incline that's very long, I'll struggle to keep up with anyone.

You'd have loved some of the 8 mile descents I had last weekend!  I'm pretty sure I need new brake pads!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print