Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lessons from Austin's Hills (Read 594 times)
AustinSkater

Lessons from Austin's Hills
Jun 29th, 2009, 1:22pm

Shellene and I spent the weekend in Austin, and managed to get in a ride taking in some of Austin's better known hills.

We started on the north end of town, riding the rolling hills of 360 (big rollers), and then headed out of town on Bee Cave Road (still more rollers).  We took a slight detour down Cuernavaca Dr, where I got slightly confused and thought I had taken a wrong turn.  This caused us to ride back up the same climbs we had just come down (one at 13%).  After climbing the Dam Hill on 620, we took a detour past the Oasis to set up a climb up Bullock Hollow.

Bullock Hollow is a no shoulder road, that hits 18% during it's mile climb (average grade of 7%).  I ended up off the road during the climb, so I got to walk to the top (I tried restarting on the grade, but one wheelie was all it took to know that it wasn't going to happen), while Shellene spun her way up.

From there we headed into Riverplace, which has three different hilly roads for a total of 4 miles:  Riverplace, Big View and Westminster Glen.  There is one hill on Westminster that neither Shellene or I had to pedal on, we had carried that much momentum from the previous descent.  This section has multiple places where my GPS reported 21% briefly.

After descending City Park Road, we had the option of heading back to the start, or turning left to climb Jester Blvd.  328 feet of climbing over .46 miles (13.5% average), with the hardest pitch at the bottom where it hits and holds over 20% on a chip seal road.  Needless to say we turned right.  However Shellene stopped me and said she would wait at the bottom if I wanted to climb it.  Being the fool I am, I agreed.

Just as I was getting ready to make my ascent, a mtn biker rolled down the hill and started his second repeat.  I figured I could use the company, so I followed him up the steep section, then passed him and led to the top, taking 5'10" to ride just under 1/2 mile.  I averaged 5.3 MPH, 77 RPM with an HR of 156 (peaked at 176).  He rode down to the bottom with me, and asked about the bike.  Like almost all Austin riders, he had never seen a recumbent on the road.  In all my years in Austin, I had only seen a handful at the Veloway, and all but one of those were handcycles.

After that, a slow roll back to the car and called it a day.  51 miles in 4 hours of riding (5 hours realtime)

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8538774

Lessons learned:

1:  It is possible to pop a wheelie at 8% if too much power is applied
2:  It is possible to climb 21% without popping a wheelie
3:  I can't start my bike on an 18% grade

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Lessons from Austin's Hills
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2009, 2:34pm

Knees OK?  That's a lotta climbing!!!   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2009, 2:52pm

yup, I have found all the above to be true.  Also, unclipping when you have an "oh crap" moment is ahem...interesting!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2009, 7:38am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 29th, 2009, 2:34pm:
Knees OK?  That's a lotta climbing!!!   Smiley

My knees did fine.  I took it pretty easy since all I wanted was some confidence that I could climb those hills.  To be honest, I'm still scared of the Ladera Norte/Smokey Valley climb.  Climbing that one on the DF last year, I was so proud of myself since (with my triple) I was able to keep riding as all the boys riding with me unclipped and put their foot down.  However, what they don't tell you is that after you have worked and worked and worked and you think you are going to make it, the grade kicks WAY up right at the top.  I almost fell off of my diamond frame bike  Angry   I'll have to get alot more confidence before Das Hugel.......

Shellene

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print