Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bobcat Bite 100k Permanent (Read 968 times)
Bud_Bent

Bobcat Bite 100k Permanent
Jun 6th, 2009, 7:26pm

I was among a mostly recumbent group that left Celina at 6:30 am this morning to ride the Bobcat Bite 100k permanent populaire. The riders included Steve, Peggy, Brian, Shellene, Nelson along with an upright friend (I've forgotten his name), Ken W, Sharon S, JS and Sara Kay. It was a beautiful morning with a light southeast wind as we headed northeast to Howe. I always enjoy the small roads this route takes when it turns off SH289 on this stretch.  

There were the usual trips off the front by a few riders, but they would ease off to regroup, and most of us stayed together at a pace that wasn't as fast as I expected. I was actually able to talk most of the time, except when the roads would turn uphill.  

By the time we left Howe, the wind was really starting to blow. I was off the back a couple of times on the southbound stretch down SH289 to Gunter, a preview of what was to be whenever we rode against the wind. But the ride turns west out of Gunter, toward Tioga, and with a quartering tailwind on this stretch, it was fun riding at a faster pace. We made a little longer stop at the control in Tioga, and I downed my usual peanut butter and honey sandwich.

Heading south out of Tioga on SH377 began the tough part of the ride. The rough chipseal and rolling hills begin when you turn east onto FM455, and I fell back pretty quickly on this stretch. We regrouped just before Celina, and rode in together, to finish in 4:50. My gps showed 1,700 feet of climbing on the route.

We stopped for the usual lunch at Lucy's afterward, and I had a great time visiting with everyone. It was great having JS and Sara Kay down for a Texas visit. Good luck at the Shenandoah 1200k next week, Sharon!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Bobcat Bite 100k Permanent
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2009, 11:23pm

Bud, yes,everyone seemed to enjoy themselves & we pretty much stayed together(other than the odd sprint from time to time). I've accepted the fact that wind is always going to be present on this route(generally that prevailing wind from the S/E).

I would personally like to thank everyone that participated in the ride today. I know Bud had a long drive(not to mention John S & Sara Kay's drive down from Hay ,KS). That meant a lot to Peggy & I.
Always good to see Nelson,Bud, Ken, Bryan ,& Shellene.

John & Sara Kay have an open invitation to ride with us(Rbent/LSR) anytime. And yes, best wishes to Sharon Stevens at the Shenandoah 1200k next week. She is a sweet lady & helluva rider.

It was a good day. Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2009, 10:16pm

Glad you guys had a good time.  Those last hills kileld me last time too, Bud.  Chipseal + wind + hills = UGH.

I just got in from Santa Fe.  Up early to start my last week of training before leaving for Costa Rica!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2009, 10:23pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 8th, 2009, 10:16pm:
Glad you guys had a good time.  Those last hills kileld me last time too, Bud.  Chipseal + wind + hills = UGH.

I just got in from Santa Fe.  Up early to start my last week of training before leaving for Costa Rica!

Hey Daddy War-bucks(aka world traveler), when are you going to be in town so we can ride together? Santa Fe is one of my favorite spots. Love to people watch there(hippies & freaks, gotta love 'em). A few trips ago to the SF, Peggy & I did a "Haunted Tour" of Santa Fe,which was a riot.  

JS told one of the group riders Saturday that to do ultra cycling events, you should be able to climb that last sweeping left turn(at mile 61) at 24 mph. I guess my 14-15mph ain't gonna cut it.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009, 8:16am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2009, 11:01pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Jun 8th, 2009, 10:23pm:
Quote from aikigreg on Jun 8th, 2009, 10:16pm:

Hey Daddy War-bucks(aka world traveler), when are you going to be in town so we can ride together? Santa Fe is one of my favorite spots. Love to people watch there(hippies & freaks, gotta love 'em). A few trips ago to the SF, Peggy & I did a "Haunted Tour" of Santa Fe,which was a riot.

JS told one of the group riders Saturday that to do ultra cycling events, you should be able to climb that last sweeping left turn(at mile 61) at 24 mph. I guess my 14-15mph ain't gonna cut it.

When he said "ypu," exactly to whom was he referring????  

I'm leaving for Costa Rica on Monday.  I have every single day from now till then to train my behind, so we can ride any day you'd like.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009, 8:16am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2009, 1:23pm

This was a great route with great company.  Thanks Steve for setting up the ride!
Shellene

IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2009, 4:24pm

Well, as I was pushing up a hill yesterday (whining to myself about the pain) on my training ride, I 'pert near burst out laughing thinking about what John S. told me on the Bobcat Bite 100k.  

On Saturday's ride, John was letting me draft off of him to catch the sprinters who were off the front before the first rest stop.  I pushed just as hard as I could for as long as I thought I could and at the top of a long difficult hill (difficult for me, clearly not for John) I hollered "Go get 'em John!"    However, John was having no part of my being such a wimp, and to keep me going promptly told me "You'll recover."

What sage advice.  So yesterday, I laughed and pushed harder up the hill and knew I'd have to just recover later.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print