Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shorter Cranks Thread (Read 768 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Shorter Cranks Thread
Jun 1st, 2009, 1:15pm

I set up a different thread for the shorter cranks discussion part of the OK is OK thread..
PB

Quote from Killer Bee on May 30th, 2009, 7:23pm:
18+ miles to finish. We pick up the pace & finish at 3:10pm. Ride time was 8hrs-40 mins, total mileage was 131.15. My avg. speed was 17.25 mph. This was a "PR" for Peggy Smiley. She rode exceptionally well for someone recovery from surgery a few weeks ago & this was her first time back on the bike & in the heat. Pedalin' Peggy is back.  Smiley

Great job Peggy! I expect I won't be catching you at goatneck this year eh? Looks like you should do really well at the TTT I'll be down there watching, er volunteering, this year so I'll see all you speedies down there.  

Shellene,
   I found it hard to find 165s online anywhere when I was searching but I went over to my LBS and they could get any shimano one I wanted without any sort of problem and they had it for me two days after I ordered. If you want shorter then 165 I think that is where it gets harder to find double and triples in that size.
I have forza's on one of the bikes at home and they come in 145, 155, 165 but use that old fangled square taper BB. They are cheap but tough, and perhaps heavy, but worked well enough to try it out without spending a lot.
http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct =1725
old fangled square taper bb  
http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=70&idprodu ct=1073

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2009, 3:34pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: OK is OK 210K LSR permanent
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2009, 2:27pm

Shellene, you might also want to contact Mark Stonich, who does custom crank shortening...  
http://bikesmithdesign.com/

I would also agree that shorter cranks would be of benefit to you.  You lose a bit of torque due to the shorter lever arm effect, but it reduces the knee bend required.  On my wife's Stratus XP, I replaced the 175s with 165s, and she could probably use even shorter.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: OK is OK 210K LSR permanent
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009, 2:51pm

apparently both power on cycling and calhoun cycling sell short cranks down to 145mm for around 40 bucks.  They won't be the best cranks, but they'd be good to try out.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Shorter Cranks Thread
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2009, 4:23pm

You can get cheap but strong cranks from Gaerlan Bike Parts for $40 also  
 http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/crank/crank.html  
scroll down to the "BULLETPROOF Short Alloy Crankset" listing about halfway down the page. Made for BMX so they will be strong, but heavy. It all depends on your priorities, whether you want short cranks that won't bend under heavy pressure, or short cranks that will float away if you unbolt them from the bike  Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2009, 4:48pm

Well, Bryan was thinking that I should try the 65's without trying the crank shorteners since my upright bike had 65's (if it works on the upright it may work on the 'bent and has to be better than the 170's), and that avoids any extra distance outwards that might be created by the crank shorteners.  

Greg, would you and the 65 cranks be available Monday or Tuesday night?  Email or PM me or Bryan.

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2009, 4:52pm

I have a set of Bulletproof I believe they are single speed/bmx but can be used for doubles. They use the smaller 110BCD chainring size so when I got my used hurricane with these cranks on them they were short lived because my q-rings were of the standard (non-compact?) road bike 130bcd size.

The Forzas fit the 130BCD chainring and will fit a triple.

I don't think either come with chainrings from the vendors linked but cheap chainrings probably could be purchased from a LBS for really cheap or nearly nothing or someone might have some laying around.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print