Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OK is OK 210K LSR permanent (Read 903 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

OK is OK 210K LSR permanent
May 30th, 2009, 7:23pm

Shellene ,Bryan , Peggy & I rode "OK is OK" 210K route today. The ride started at 6:30am in Greenville. This was Peggy's first ride in 3 weeks, since skin cancer surgery. We rolled out shortly after 6:30 heading north of US 69 toward Celeste. There was a group of 400K LSR riders starting a few miles behind us. At about mile10+ into the ride, mark Metcalfe caught us & rode with us for a few miles. We headed north through Celeste and then Leonard for the Leonard Leviathan Hills. Bryan & I had fun charging up & down those hills.

There is a one lane bridge that crosses the Red River at mile 57+. Very cool,old bridge. This bridge adds charm/character to the ride. It's a highlight on the route.

We managed to hold off the rest of the 400K group the rest of the way . We caught Mark M. in Achille, taking it easy at the control(ice cream fix, I'm sure). My computer showed just under a 18 mph avg to this point. We had a sub 3:30 time for the first 100K, which included a control in Ector.  

Achille,OK where the 200& 400k route split. The four of us head out east on OK 78 for 25 miles,until we cross the red River again on a little more modern bridge back to Texas. Onto to Bonham. That was out next control. It was starting to warm up at this point, & all four of us were ready for a break. Mile 91+. Due to Peggy's skin graft(as a result of the surgery,located on the temple area), her helmet started to rub & slowed her down a bit.

The next stretch is 39+ miles to the finish. We ride through Bonham & then Bonham Sate park. The horrible boulder seal on FM 271 in the park has drastically improved from last year & has worn well. The soreness & swelling of the skin graft kicked in at this point, & Peggy & I agreed that we would need to stop in Wolfe City for an unscheduled stop to refuel. I rode up to Bryan & Shellene & inform that we're are going to slow down the next few miles, so for them to go ahead & we'll see them later. Nope, they weren't having any of that. They were going to stop as well in Wolfe city. We roll into Wolfe City right behind them. We take an extended unscheduled stop.

18+ miles to finish. We pick up the pace & finish at 3:10pm. Ride time was 8hrs-40 mins, total mileage was 131.15. My avg. speed was 17.25 mph. This was a "PR" for Peggy Smiley. She rode exceptionally well for someone recovery from surgery a few weeks ago & this was her first time back on the bike & in the heat. Pedalin' Peggy is back.  Smiley

And Bryan & Shellene rode so strong all day & were very patient , they waited for us along the way. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves today. They're great riding partners & "good people".

This a great permanent, one of our favorites. The weather was almost perfect today. It did warm up, & the winds were relatively light. Sorry we missed the Rbent ride today. It looks like it was well attended.  We were also Greg in thoughts & were hoping his Tulsa Tough ride went well.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Re: OK is OK 210K LSR permanent
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2009, 9:00am

As always, the OK is OK route was wonderful.  And to head almost due south on the return journey with very little wind in our faces was an amazing event.  Good company and good fun were the order for the day!

Peggy rode super strong for having been off the bike and for having the nasty headache from her helmet rubbing the stitches.  I am very very impressed with Pedalin' Peggy.  

When we stopped in Achille, Mark M - who has been a great friend and mentor - told me exactly what Bryan, then John S. told me about my knees:  Get yourself some 65 cranks and throw out those 70's.  Ok, I may be slow, but I guess the third time I'm told something I have to take action.  Bryan is searching out some 65 cranks to go on my Corsa, and we really hope that it may solve the knee issues.  If it doesn't completely solve the problem, at least the knees are getting stronger every week.  I'm going to try a 300k on Thursday, so if anyone has free time and is interested in joining up, check the upcoming rides section.

All in all, Saturday was a very productive ride for both Peggy and I.  We were strong enough to hopefully boost both of our confidences, and the ride was enjoyed by all.  Gotta love those Leonard Hills!
Shellene

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009, 9:41am

Before you go that far, Shellene, let me make a suggestion from the bent world:

Most bents already come with 165 cranks, for many and varied reason, the general consensus is that you need shorter cranks.  Given your x-seam, it may be that you even need 155 or shorter.  You may want to try out a pair of crank shorteners and try different sizes before buying a set of cranks.  My wife's v-rex is 152mm, which I have ridden for many a 200k, and I've raced a trike that was all the way down to 125.  Felt like a clown bike, but I didn't see any loss of speed.

Something to consider.  However, if you want a set of 165, I have a FSA carbon set that came off an Aero if you want a pair locally and would rather buy used rather than new.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2009, 9:46am

Shellene Excellent advice from Greg, I have 165's the track bike and have switched back and forth between them with little notice.  165's might not be enough of a differential from the 170's.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2009, 10:19am

OK here's  my spin on Saturdays ride. Great company, one of my favorite routes, I rode strong for the first 100k still a little off the back from the other 3 riders but held my own. Then the heat turned up( both the pace and the temperature)I just could not hang on .I didn't like being the slow one holding up the pace. So know I know that I have a lot of work to do.

But to be fair, this time last year I was riding 200k's with my only goal being to finish and not to kill my self in doing so. Now I'm able to ride them for speed.  

A BIG BIG thanks to Shellene Bryan and of course Steve for putting up with whinny slow butt all day Smiley
Yes Steve was right in not letting me try the 400k. You know me so well !!!!

Great day was had by all.  

I have a lot of training to do!!!!!!!!! Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2009, 12:07pm

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Jun 1st, 2009, 10:19am:
OK here's  my spin on Saturdays ride. Great company, one of my favorite routes, I rode strong for the first 100k still a little off the back from the other 3 riders but held my own. Then the heat turned up( both the pace and the temperature)I just could not hang on .I didn't like being the slow one holding up the pace. So know I know that I have a lot of work to do.

But to be fair, this time last year I was riding 200k's with my only goal being to finish and not to kill my self in doing so. Now I'm able to ride them for speed.

A BIG BIG thanks to Shellene Bryan and of course Steve for putting up with whinny slow butt all day Smiley
Yes Steve was right in not letting me try the 400k. You know me so well !!!!

Great day was had by all.  

I have a lot of training to do!!!!!!!!! Peggy

Back-to-back LSR rides for Peggy this weekend(Sat & Sun). We rode my 103K LSR ride(Bobcat bite) yesterday with 4 other LSR riders(some of which were recovering from the previous day 400k). A relatively slow & very enjoyable ride was had by all.  

She's back!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2009, 1:15pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"