Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uncle Bucks Memorial Day ride (Read 1011 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Uncle Bucks Memorial Day ride
May 25th, 2009, 3:10pm

There was a large group showing up for this one.  Terry made it with his X-stream to do the 45 miler and I got to chat with him a minute or two as well as his friend Bonnie who is still riding DF and looking very fit.  I wasn't sure how well I'd do give a tough 200k Saturday and an hour of pretty intense weightlifting last night at 8-9pm, but I lined up with the fast 60 milers anyway.   I figured I'd get dropped along the way, as my legs felt pretty leaden, but that I'd have no trouble mucking in with the B group when they rolled along.  

My only complaint about this ride is the lack of bathrooms at the start.  I had to go before we rolled out, and we didn't stop for the first 24 miles.  I think I heard something pop about mile 18, but I managed to hold it all in.   Smiley

Most of this ride is a blur.  It has a ton of turns at the beginning and the end, so it's one of those deals where you ride hard to a turn and the group slows down, only to accelerate quickly again.  It's constant intervals.  Then you hit the straights and it's breakaway city.  

The ride went by in a blur.  We only made the one stop, in Justin, at mile 24.  Had an 18.5 average at that point.  I spent most of my time watching the pack and hanging out at the side or back just to make sure I stayed safe.  I'd surge ahead when a breakaway was on or a gap formed, but otherwise I was content to motor along and just try to keep up and TRY to make this more of a recovery ride.

It's a good route for the scenery and a change of pace.  Not too technical, and very good pavement for all but a few miles at most.  At around mile 30 the groups split off, into those who wanted to chop 7 miles off and avoid hilltop road and those who didn't.  That cut our group of 25 or so down to just 15.  From then on the apce picked up dramatically, thankfully there were plenty of rollers and some bumps but no big hills to drop me on - which would have happened because I felt pretty weak in the quads.  

What hills there were though, I kept getting C-blocked on by guys who would race to get in front of me on the climbs and then slow down.  Apparently they were also deaf or had no clue what on your left means.  Braking up Hilltop Road sucks!  It's not that big a hill, but when you have to gear down and spin thank to momentum loss it sure can suck the fun out of it.

Either way, I managed to hang on to the end.  just over 60 miles, 196 average.  Hit 203 average watts with a new max high of 729.  I think that must show that I'm getting stronger, even though my average wattage is still hovering around the same.  I'm pooped.  I arrived back just as Terry was putting the X-stream back on the rack.  I wanted to stay for lunch, but with only making one chop-chop stop in the 60 miles and the faster than expected pace, I had enough time to come home and have lunch, shower, and load the corsa up and take it to City Cyclist for an equipment change and overhaul.  

How was your ride, Terry?

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2009, 4:02pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Uncle Bucks Memorial Day ride
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2009, 3:58pm

Hm did y'all come down through Double Oak/Flower Mound? I was going to post and say I saw an X-Stream pass by my house while I was out checking on the garden out front. Perhaps that was Terry just cruizin along with a couple of diamond frames.

Hilltop is the pits with other riders. I don't think I've gone up there once with a group that there haven't been people bailing out from misshifts or just stopping in the middle of the road because they were surprised by it.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2009, 4:00pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2009, 4:01pm

If not, we came close.  Justin, Argyle, Copper Canyon areas....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2009, 4:14pm

actually, just looked at the map after uploading to training peaks.  We went right through your hood!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2009, 9:45pm

I wanted to go but I stupidly sunburned myself Saturday and the legs didn't feel like it this morning. Looking at your ride stats tho it appears you guys would have left me behind anyway  

I gotta work on that Smiley

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2009, 9:47pm

Quote from evblazer on May 25th, 2009, 3:58pm:
Hm did y'all come down through Double Oak/Flower Mound? I was going to post and say I saw an X-Stream pass by my house while I was out checking on the garden out front. Perhaps that was Terry just cruizin along with a couple of diamond frames.

Hilltop is the pits with other riders. I don't think I've gone up there once with a group that there haven't been people bailing out from misshifts or just stopping in the middle of the road because they were surprised by it.

If you don't mind me asking where what street in Double Oak do you live? I've probably ridden by your house a few thousand times by now without knowing it

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2009, 11:06pm

Quote from mleuck on May 25th, 2009, 9:47pm:

If you don't mind me asking where what street in Double Oak do you live? I've probably ridden by your house a few thousand times by now without knowing it

PM'd I don't want any stalkers out there finding me through my posts  Smiley

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2009, 8:28am

Quote:
PM'd I don't want any stalkers out there finding me through my posts

Cool!  you have stalkers?  Can I get some?   Wink

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2009, 1:44pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 26th, 2009, 8:28am:

Cool! you have stalkers? Can I get some? Wink

Stalkers are only fun for the first 4-6 weeks, or until they kill one of your pets. cry

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print