Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GDB "Airport-free" Ride and comment (Read 269 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

GDB "Airport-free" Ride and comment
May 24th, 2009, 9:57pm

I finally got out on a Saturday morning to join in on the GDB Airport ride, and had invited a 30something DF-riding friend along, Dave, who has started doing triathlete stuff...  he brought along another friend, Rich, who is a pretty serious cyclist, who recently completed a cycling vacation to Belgium where they ride the pro courses the day after the pros do, climbing mountains and that kind of thing...  We didn't go out with the 'fast" group, since it was my friend's first time out and I wasn't sure what his level was, so we rode with the faster part of the "regular" group, which still basically rode at 20 mph, while keeping things conversational.

We went north from the normal airport destination, up Royal to the new Shell at 635, then continued north into Coppell for another 18 or so, leading back to the Shell again.  About three miles from the Shell, the fast group caught up with our group, and Dave and Rich latched on, which I saw as the group passed me...  So, I did, too, ramping up and catching up quickly...

The group was racing along in the left lane at about 30...  so for fun, I pulled into the right lane, and started to pass people, especially as we gradually turned into the wind...  and as I took the lead, still at 28+, three or four of the group abandoned the paceline and latched on to ME, as I pulled the group the last couple miles to the Shell.  We had a good laugh about it at the rest stop.

After the rest stop, Dave, Rich, and I left early, wanting to get back a bit earlier than the rest of the group...  And as we were riding along, Rich, the serious rider, asks me "So, where do you train during the week?"  I just laughed, and said, "TRAINING?  What's that???"

[ But it was a pretty cool comment...  and my helmet didn't even feel too tight....   Grin  ]

Meanwhile, about four miles into the return from the Shell, Dave bonked...  So Rich kept on, and I rode an easy 13-14 mph with Dave the rest of the way back, including a stop at Subway for a sandwich -- getting back at noon with 55 miles in...  it was a beautiful Saturday morning, and we had no rain whatsoever...

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009, 9:58pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print