Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
PBA Popsicle ride (Read 7728 times)
AustinSkater

Re: PBA Popsicle ride
Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:26pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:10am:
They are basically a very nice group, and no mechanicals - YEAH!  It wasn't too blatant a drop on Dublin, I just rolled off the front, and they seemed to enjoy chasing, all good fun.  Because of the nature of the ride shape, its easy to rejoin the group if you want if you get dropped, or head back to the start.  I usually have to get home, but quite a few folks hang out and socialize afterwards.

Take Care,
Nelson.

They are used to chasing 'bents down Dublin.

I wish Shellene and I could have been there last night, but we've been busy building a two story deck.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #31 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:08pm

THAT'S A GREAT PICTURE OF NELSON!!!!!  

This week I got dropped but I hope that each week I will improve. (group rides I have a lot to learn)

It was so much fun to ride with Paul again.  

Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #32 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:54pm

Tell ya what, I just can't hang at 22-25 on the SXP, even with 1" tires and Velocity wheels...   Guess I need to get back down to "fightin' weight" again...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #33 - Aug 12th, 2009, 7:52pm

Meant to post this earlier, but the 08/11 B pop group had a pile-up on Allen Heights at the little bridge before getting back to Bethany.  Sounds like a couple of riders tangled and about 7 riders went down pretty hard.  Unfortunately my friend and co-worker Alan was rider number 7 and may have broken or at least badly sprained his wrist.  I felt guilty not going with him yesterday, still being pretty sore from this weekends TTT training and perm, but I'm not sorry I missed going down, probably would have been close to him and likely involved.  The worst of the other injuries seemed to be Maggie's (skinsuit girl was how I knew her) shoulder and road rash.  I believe from the description she was one of the primary participants that led to the pile up.

Be careful out there!

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009, 7:54pm by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #34 - Aug 12th, 2009, 8:38pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Aug 12th, 2009, 7:52pm:
Meant to post this earlier, but the 08/11 B pop group had a pile-up on Allen Heights at the little bridge before getting back to Bethany.  Sounds like a couple of riders tangled and about 7 riders went down pretty hard.  Unfortunately my friend and co-worker Alan was rider number 7 and may have broken or at least badly sprained his wrist.  I felt guilty not going with him yesterday, still being pretty sore from this weekends TTT training and perm, but I'm not sorry I missed going down, probably would have been close to him and likely involved.  The worst of the other injuries seemed to be Maggie's (skinsuit girl was how I knew her) shoulder and road rash.  I believe from the description she was one of the primary participants that led to the pile up.

Be careful out there!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson, I'm so sorry to hear about the crash(especially Alan,who has had his share of bad luck in the past). I gotta say , our coach & others have been warning me about this ride, which is why I quit riding the ride. I had a sense this was going to happen.  

I repeat , I do not like riding in packs with riders that I do not know. You will not the Petty's at a Popsicle ride anytime soon. I hope those that were injured heal quickly.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #35 - Aug 12th, 2009, 9:23pm

Yeah I'm swearing off pack riding until after the TTT.  No injuries!

I'll update on Alan as I know, he came in today not having seen the doctor yet, but unable to use his wrist.  
I believe he headed out early to see the orthopedic Doc.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #36 - Aug 12th, 2009, 9:42pm

That's exactly why I do NOT like H'NH(I call it Dumber than Hell). If it weren't for Peggy enjoying it,I would not go,period.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #37 - Sep 4th, 2009, 9:03am

I went out to last night's ride...  apparently there was a pretty serious pileup on Tuesday night on Renner, coming back...  something about a guy wobbling into the curb, and his pedal hitting it, flipping him into the grass...   tonight, the group leader, Pat, made several "commands" along the way about holding two lines and staying in one lane, and even directing everyone to slow down in the S-curve on Dublin Road, due to seeing gravel there Tuesday...

It's kind of a schizophrenic group, in a way -- some hill climbs are sprints, and some (like Collins overpass) are taken "normal"....

What a difference a bike makes -- I was riding the Xstream prototype, and was able to hang with the group the entire way at 24-26, including leading the Dublin Rd. southbound sprint by about 100 yards...  granted, it was into the wind, so they didn't stand a chance...   Wink  But other than that, I hung at the back, not mixing it up in the pack, except for deciding to pass the group on westbound Renner, receiving a "One lane, dammit!" admonition from Pat....  

We just avoided the nasty lightning and storms that came through soon after the ride, and there was plenty of impressive lightning happening to the north as we finished.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009, 9:03am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #38 - Sep 4th, 2009, 9:15am

Hi Paul,

Glad to here the ride was without incident and you made-em work! Did you guys do the full 35 miles?
Looking forward to seeing you set a new 6hr record at the TT!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #39 - Sep 4th, 2009, 11:15am

We got 33 in...  short cut it, rutning right instead of going to Jupiter, then hitting Bethany over to Allen Heights southbound.  It was getting pretty dim out, especially with the oncoming clouds from the storm.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print