Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
PBA Popsicle ride (Read 7740 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: PBA Popsicle ride
Reply #15 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:41pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:02pm:
Uh-oh, Paul's going to "do the demo" on the roadies again....

LOL...  no, not quite...  I was disappointed to not have any fellow 'benters along, but I did know a couple of the other participants through other club rides --  but beyond them, I basically knew no one...  I didn't take the camera along, figuring I might need to keep both hands on the grips for a new ride group.  I knew better than to go out with the "A" group, especially on the SXP, so I settled into the middle of the "B" group once the "C"s fell off the back by the time we climbed Mount Richardson (Collins over 75).

From that point, I mostly hung out towards the back, gauging the ride...  they held a pretty constant 20 to 25 mph pace, occasionally ramping up to 30, which I was a bit surprised at...  and most were obviously surprised that I was keeping up!  Going up Los Rios, the group was very good at hitting about 30 on the downhill approaching that first big hill, and everybody went up it at pretty good speed -- I only passed a half dozen or so (hearing, "You're killing me, dude...") on the way up it.  The next big downhill and big climb that came a couple miles up, just past Parker (?), for some reason the group leaders slowed down to ~20 -- so I hit the gas, and passed the entire gang, giving a smiling comment to the leaders as I passed them that "I need a head start up this"...  and was able to hold them off all the way to the top, getting a "Niiiice!!!" from a couple of the leaders.

I continued to hang with the main group for several more miles at 20-25, until we hit the last section of southbound Allen Heights at about the 25 mile mark, into the wind.  Somehow, the leaders were still holding 22+ into it, and I was starting to run out of gas for the slight climbs, slowly dropping off the back.  I caught several people as we got to 544, and left them behind up that climb, then I took Brand Road as a shortcut instead of going to Murphy, back down to Renner.  By that time, I was probably about 3/4 mile behind the main group, fully dropped.  However, the Brand shortcut put me back ahead of them...   Wink  About three miles across Renner, past NorthStar, the main group that had gone down Murphy Road caught me, and I didn't have the gas to keep up, as they were treating Renner as a "sprint zone"...   And since I had parked at Renner and 190 and ridden to the ride start, I was pretty much done, getting 36 total miles in, with an overall average of 19...  which means the main ride average was probably over 20.

Overall it was an excellent, hard ride, perhaps the hardest 30 continuous miles I've done in several months...  a good demonstration of the fact that I've got less than half my typical mileage in so far this year.  HOWEVER, if I had been on the XStream instead of the SXP, hanging with the group all the way would not have been a problem.  [There was no squirrelliness or crashes tonight, by the way, and of the ~40 that started the ride together, there were maybe 15 in the "main" group towards the end.]  

Shellene and Bryan, if you're hanging with this group all the way on your Corsas, you have both come a LONG way towards getting your " 'bent legs" in a short time...!!!!!   Smiley

Shall we get a group together for next Tuesday?   Smiley   Wink

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:22am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:07pm

Sorry for not being there last night Paul!  The week is kinda messed up all around for us, but not too bad.  I may be out there on Thursday evening, but I would be tired and slow if I'm there (my Linden trip is off  cry).  Hope to see you soon,
Shellene

IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:10pm

ah, yes.  Next Tuesday I should be in for a good ride   Cheesy
Shellene

IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #18 - Jun 5th, 2009, 2:12pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:41pm:

Shellene and Bryan, if you're hanging with this group all the way on your Corsas, you have both come a LONG way towards getting your " 'bent legs" in a short time...!!!!!   Smiley

Shall we get a group together for next Tuesday?   Smiley   Wink

I don't know about "'bent legs", usually they feel more mangled than bent.

I should be there this Tuesday as well.  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2009, 11:48pm

Had a good time tonight on the 06/18 edition with Bryan and Shellene.    No Mechanicals! Yeah!  although my newly tuned up Corsa did manage to start cause me a little concern when the computer cable started clicking in the spokes.  Tightened it up before it was damaged, but lost a couple miles of data before getting a chance to realign the sensor.  Must of bumped it loose when working on the brakes.  Bryan and Shellene both rode very strong, I think the bents are being noticed!  

Total miles around 36.2 with a 19.4mph avg.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Jun 25th, 2009, 10:54pm

I went out for the Popsicle Ride tonight, in the 100 degrees, joining up with Bryan and Shellene for the first time.  Had a good ride, talking with both Shellene and Bryan for the first 15 miles or so, but I just can't hold forever at 21-24mph these days, which was essentially the cruising speed of the main group -- and nobody was falling off the back!!!  By the time we reached the right turn at Allen Heights (about 20 miles), I had fallen back a couple hundred yards, and wasn't going to catch up.  Bryan was running sweep, and having fallen back due to stoplights, he caught me (easily) and we rode together for about 10 miles, letting the main group go.  Shellene was having fun keeping herself in the middle of the main group, from what I could see.  These two DEFINITELY have their 'bent legs...  Wink

When we got back to Renner, I was out of water, and stopped at the Starbucks to refill, letting Bryan go ahead.  Another mile or so down the road, I stopped at the Shiloh light, and suddenly, I had a flat rear tire -- never heard a thing, it was just gone... First one in over a year!!!  Replaced it, and rode back to the start, getting back about 8:30 -- and Bryan and Shellene had gone out to look for me, wondering where I was.  'Preciate the thought, you two!!

Finished with 37 miles, 18 average.  Here are a few pics:

Ultralight engine

shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2009, 10:29am

Great pics Paul!  It was great to see you and to ride with you.  Hope you can make it to some more rides.
Shellene

IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2009, 10:35am

Had a good time on the 7/07 edition last night.  Alan Hall from work skipped his usual crit ride to join me, and Bryan rode up coming over from Wylie, but Shellene had to work I  believe.  Bryan did a lot of leading out, and I finally joined him up front at the end of Los Rios, getting up to near 40mph through there.  Bryan and I pulled the pack up Jupiter to the turn at Park Place, and then I let Bryan handle the duty alone awhile until he turned off back to Wylie.  I went off the front a couple of times on Renner, but the lights always brought us back together.  At little slow out of the gate as a lady had a couple of flats in the first few miles, but all together a good workout.  Quite a bit like intervals with the starts and stops.  I had 35.56 miles at 19.12 avg.  despite cooldown and the slow start so we moved right along.  Looks like Tuesdays will be my best chance for awhile, as Thursdays are full.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2009, 10:38am by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #23 - Jul 15th, 2009, 3:26pm

The 07/14 edition was very hot, and as a result the pace slowed somewhat.  I was the only bent in attendance, and for the most part behaved.  I stayed near the rear except for the fast parts on Los Rios, and Dublin Rd, and Renner.  As a result got split back by lights several times.  There was one flat, and one chain drop so we cooled a bit waiting on those.  With no Bryan to charge down Dublin I went pretty hard into the wind between the stop sign at Park, and the light at 14th St. and dropped the group by a good half mile, that was fun.  A DF came charging up as I slowed for the light, and I had to laugh a little as he acted rather triumphant about passing me, but all good fun.  I started cramping a bit as I ran out of water (it was very hot) but recovered enough to spin near the front back to I75 on Renner where I start cooling down.

35.53 miles at 18.4 avg.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009, 3:27pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2009, 10:20pm

We had a good bent turn out for the 7/21 edition, Paul, Peggy and Steve joined me on the B popsicle.  10 degrees cooler than last week, but plenty humid, and a NNE wind this time.  I hung at the back and got split a couple of times, but chased back on, but got boxed in on the Los Rios downhills so just hung back a bit.  At the turn back South I waited with the ride leader and some others for folks to catch up before flying back with a nice tailwind.  Even with a tailwind the bent differential was fun to exploit and I dropped the pack between Parker -> Park, and again between Park -> 14th after waiting up at the stop sign.  All in good natured fun, as the DF's appreciated the Corsa's good aerodynamics and were suitably impressed.  We cruised down Renner at a pretty reasonable pace, catching nearly every light I think.  It sure was great getting to see Paul, and always fun to ride with the Pettys.  

7/21  35.52 miles  19.2 avg.

take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2009, 10:46pm

This crowd likes to jackrabbit start at all traffic lights, cruise at ~22 up Los Rios and all, and kick it up to ~25 at Allen Heights for the return leg.  Hanging at the back, you're chasing all the time... My average wasn't so stellar (~18), as both Peggy and I fell off when we got caught at the light northbound at Parker Rd.   Steve hung back with us from there until we hit Renner, then took off sprinting the last 5 miles or so.  Nice night for a ride, though, even battling the north wind in the first half.

Good to see Steve, Peggy, and Nelson -- been too long!

I think the Petty's training regimen is paying off...  I think Peggy could have dropped me, as well, if it wasn't for her slow startups at traffic lights...   Smiley   I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 10:47pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2009, 10:53pm

Always good to see/ride with Nelson. We seemed to be doing a lot of that lately. Also, it was nice to see Paul again. It's been too long.
This was Peggy's inaugural Popsicle ride.  She'll be back for more rides.

Hey Nelson, that was cool to hear that you dropped the ride leader. Tonight's ride seemed to be more "tame" than past Popsicle rides.
There did not seem to be many "squirrely" moves as I've witnessed in the past(which is a good thing).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:13am

I may have to join you sometime, but that pace I think would be too much for me without some training on my antique Infinity...

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #28 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:10am

They are basically a very nice group, and no mechanicals - YEAH!  It wasn't too blatant a drop on Dublin, I just rolled off the front, and they seemed to enjoy chasing, all good fun.  Because of the nature of the ride shape, its easy to rejoin the group if you want if you get dropped, or head back to the start.  I usually have to get home, but quite a few folks hang out and socialize afterwards.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha