Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
PBA Popsicle ride (Read 7736 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

PBA Popsicle ride
May 19th, 2009, 10:22pm

Bryan, Shellene & I rode the PBA Popsicle ride tonight. Thank you Bryan & Shellene for inviting me. AND I didn't even get to ride with that much. How rude of me. Smiley

We started off from the Tom Thumb shopping Center at Renner & Custer shortly after 6:00pm. Bryan & Shellene  suggested we ride with the "B" group-19-21 mph avg. I had no problem with that as I have very little experience in riding in packs. I'm not sure how many riders, I would guess about 30-40 for the "B" group.

We left out of the parking lot headed through Richardson. I was taking it easy & riding behind Shellene ,while Bryan was out front leading the pack(madman). At one of the intersections ,a stop light separate the pack. Bryan fell back to check on Shellene. We eventually headed out toward east Plano & I was feeling a little more comfortable with riding in the pack. Riding through a residential area, I hear Byran call my name, he rides to the front of the pack & I follow him. We lead the pack for a few miles.

Then as were coming up on a fast descent, a hammerhead roadie challenges me(on a downhill). Duh! He lasted a few seconds as I reached 42.5 mph. From the point on ,I lost Bryan(I think he said he falling back to check on Shellene) & stayed up with the lead pack.

Some of the route shares the same roads as the Richardson Wild Ride. During a return trip from Murphy, we head back to Richardson, we saw an unsettling site.  We saw an ambulance & cyclists gathered around a fallen cyclist. One of the "A" group riders touched wheels with another slower rider which caused the crash(who knows what really happened).

Once we cleared the crash, the pace would quicken. I was out leading the group & I could cyclists behind  me  telling their friends to "go,go,go" ,"get 'em", they would send different riders to try & pass me. I wasn't haven't any of it. I kept out front. The last 1/4 mile,another attack of roadies, one cyclist behind me shouts encouragement "go recumbent go!"

Since hadn't ridden the entire route before ,I had no idea where we were. The roadie hammerhead that challenged me on the downhill, says"nice ride" as we're stopped at the light just east of the shopping center at Renner/Custer. I ride into the parking lot & see Bryan & Shellene putting the bikes away on the SUV.  

I finished with a 20.2 mph avg, total ride time of 1 hr 45 min,50 secs. Not bad for all the stop lights in/out of Plano,Murphy,Richardson area.  

This is a great training ride. I would do it again. ALTHOUGH, I do miss my LSR rides. I'm still not a fan of riding in packs of cyclists that I don't know.

Next time ,I would like to spend more time riding with Shellene & Bryan. Maybe Peggy can join us next time(if the doctor releases her later this week), if not she'll ride soon enough.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: PBA Popsicle ride
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 10:30pm

Sorry, total ride distance was 35.56 miles.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009, 6:47am

that's a darn good ride right there!  I had a ton of people on my ride last night.  Hopefully Thursday I'll be able to ride with the Tuneros team.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2009, 7:34am

It was a great evening to be on a recumbent!  Especially since there was more than one of us last night.

Watching Steve ride in the middle of the pack shows that while he may not have much experience doing so, he can handle his bike with the best of them.  

The hammerhead who challenged Steve on the downhill (Los Rios heading north just past 14th) has ridden with me in my past life (on the Merckx) and is still trying to figure out how we make it look easy.  When he jumped us I was able to ramp it up to 35 MPH, but Steve was gone like a rocket (and the gap between me and the pack was pretty good too).  I caught Steve at the top of the climb, and then fell back to ride with Shellene.  She wanted to make sure that her legs were going to hold out, so we took one of the cutoffs (with about 7 DFs).  We rode near them (sometimes in front, sometimes chasing) all the way back to Renner.

On Renner we came upon the crash, shortly after it happened.  I helped direct traffic until the fire truck and ambulance showed up then took off.  Shellene, being smarter than I, decided that she didn't want her legs to get cold so she just rode to the finish.  Once I figured out that she was well in front of me, I ramped it up, catching and blowing through small packs of riders.

All in all, we got in 32.79 miles, my average was 19.5 MPH with an average HR of 127.

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday (legs should be toasted from the 600k)

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2009, 8:37am

I loved the encouragement from Bryan when I sprinted with the roadie, "go get'em Steve!" That was fun. Yeah ,my comfort zone in a large packs is not high on the scale, I just held my line & passed to the front when I was tired of being in the middle of the pack. Thanks to Bryan for pulling me up to the front. Once Bryan was up front, that gave me confidence to head up there with him.

Good average speed & H/R rate Bryan. My average H/R was pretty high-150, my max was 175. I'm sure the anxiety of riding in the pack had something to do with that higher H/R. Most of the time(when not stopped at lights) ,the group was rolling at 23-28 mph.  

It was good to see Daniel S.(another LSR rider) on the ride as well. He rode to the ride from Rowlett/Garland area.  

I'm looking forward to seeing Bryan & Shellene this weekend in Mineral Wells. Bryan, you'll do well on the 600k.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2009, 9:08am

That's the only problem I have with A and sometimes B level packs - too many of them are Lnace wannabes and are right on someone's wheel, just sitting inches off of it.  That's not nearly such a big deal when you've got a motorcade in the TdF stopping all traffic, but if someone brakes for a pothole or in some cases merely stops pedaling, it can be a disaster.

When I draft, I try never to be in a situation where I can touch wheels.  I'm always several inches right or left of their wheel.  That way I have a little reaction time, or at least the crash isn't likely to result in someone doing a header.  I get less draft, but I figure it's extra training, and most of the time I'm on my own anyhow.

It's fun when it goes well though - Steve and I worked pretty well last weekend I thought.  It was nice to take a good pull up a hill and know that once we hit the next flat I could duck behind Steve for a little breather and drop the HR 10 points, yet keep the same speed.

Be careful out there when the bunch gets its testosterone up!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2009, 9:26am

Greg, you're dead-on. Nelson had mentioned to me that there are several Cat.1,2,& 3 cyclists that ride a Crit  & use this ride as a recovery ride. These guys are used to rubbing elbows(and tires).  

I'm much more comfortable drafting with Greg, Ray, Bud,Bryan ,& Nelson than an unknown cyclist. I guess that's just natural. I didn't hear any of these guys complaining last night(that were an 1" off my wheel)that hey weren't getting any draft.  

And it was cool to see three "Yellow" Bacchetta's in the pack.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2009, 9:32am

Sounds very similar to the GDB TEBR ride out of REI, with the groups that do the "renegade" west route.  The  "fast" group averages about 21 mph for the ~35 miles, and the "moderate" group I joined in on last night averaged 19...  Sharon Stevens was along for it, and we rode together a lot of the way.

Of course, I had to make it look easy, going off the front occasionally, then pulling over to take photos as the group caught up...   Smiley  But I backed it down with about 4 miles to go, running out off gas a bit -- I'm WAY down on mileage this year.

And yes, that nice downhill on Los Rios in Plano is definitely speed-worthy, and it's nice to be able to carry most of it up the subsequent climb.  I did the same thing to the RBM gang one Saturday last summer on the SXP, being the first one up the hill -- which they didn't like one BIT!!!   Cool

Don't tell the "roadies" that you're only working 70% as hard as they are due to the aerodynamics...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2009, 12:42pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 20th, 2009, 9:32am:
Sounds very similar to the GDB TEBR ride out of REI, with the groups that do the "renegade" west route.  The  "fast" group averages about 21 mph for the ~35 miles, and the "moderate" group I joined in on last night averaged 19...  Sharon Stevens was along for it, and we rode together a lot of the way.

Of course, I had to make it look easy, going off the front occasionally, then pulling over to take photos as the group caught up...   Smiley  But I backed it down with about 4 miles to go, running out off gas a bit -- I'm WAY down on mileage this year.

And yes, that nice downhill on Los Rios in Plano is definitely speed-worthy, and it's nice to be able to carry most of it up the subsequent climb.  I did the same thing to the RBM gang one Saturday last summer on the SXP, being the first one up the hill -- which they didn't like one BIT!!!   Cool

Don't tell the "roadies" that you're only working 70% as hard as they are due to the aerodynamics...   Smiley

Paul ,I could hear a few roadies(while were stopped at lights,etc...)behind me talking among themselves about how fast recumbents,how efficient/aero dynamic (one even referenced a recumbent setting the speed record)we are. Like in life ,some people are educated ,some are not(why would you challenge a recumbent on a downhill). That's what Bryan was asking the guy post ride.  

I saw first hand all too well how squirrelly how both the "A" & "B" groups can be...I hope the cyclist wasn't injured too bad & has a speedy recovery.    

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2009, 7:33am

Tuesday night was great fun, but I - like y'all - am pretty wary of pack riding.  I saw several squirly moves that made me glad I was not drafting anyone.  

Best part of the night was seeing Bryan and Steve beating up on the poor DFs.  Since you guys ride so well, you have no need to be riding with me.  You and Bryan should be out front getting in some high quality training!

Tuesday night was tough enough that I needed a recovery ride on Wednesday. A good 95 miles can make the body much happier Wink  

Shellene

IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2009, 9:26am

Quote from shellenefoster on May 21st, 2009, 7:33am:
Tuesday night was great fun, but I - like y'all - am pretty wary of pack riding.  I saw several squirly moves that made me glad I was not drafting anyone.  

Best part of the night was seeing Bryan and Steve beating up on the poor DFs.  Since you guys ride so well, you have no need to be riding with me.  You and Bryan should be out front getting in some high quality training!

Tuesday night was tough enough that I needed a recovery ride on Wednesday. A good 95 miles can make the body much happier Wink  

Shellene

Shellene, the Popsicle ride made me appreciate our LSR rides. I too needed a recovery ride yesterday,& I am looking forward to a fun Minerals Wells 200k.  

That's a the great thing about the LSR group, there are no biases/stero-types about what bike you ride.  

And I would ride with you anytime you want.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2009, 10:43am

[quote author=Killer Bee link=1242789749/0#10 date=1242915967
That's a the great thing about the LSR group, there are no biases/stero-types about what bike you ride.  
  Smiley [/quote]

Well, Clay doesn't anymore, anyway  Smiley.  Not after you pushed the pace all day long!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:49pm

Brian / Shellene - you doing the Popsicle ride tonight (6/2)???  I'm planning to be there...

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:00pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:49pm:
Brian / Shellene - you doing the Popsicle ride tonight (6/2)???  I'm planning to be there...

Paul

Nope, we are not going to be there.

/Bryan, signed in as Shellene.

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:02pm

Uh-oh, Paul's going to "do the demo" on the roadies again....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print