Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another tire bites the dust (Read 4047 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Another tire bites the dust
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2009, 12:35pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 11:02am:
I'm sorry to hear that Greg,  I had that rear tire quite a while though, only started riding it a lot again this year after I got the Strada and started commuting on it.  I didn't know that about the Stelvios.  At least mine was pretty uneventful, but it was sudden and quite loud when it went.  First time I ever had a failure of that type that wasn't on the sidewall like Mark's failures.

Take Care,
Nelson.

From what I understood, I had thought it to be a problem with only the 406s.  Then it happened to me on my 451, so after that I was done with stelvios.  I'm trying out the ultremos now.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #16 - May 12th, 2009, 12:41pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 8:45am:
One reason I don't want a bag too big!  Man I think 7 Pounds of redundant spares might be a little too much!  Wink

Well to be fair Some of that 7lbs is the difference between the Aerotrunk/Rack and Aeropod.

I am sort of concerned about space though. I am probably going to go to a tailbox and I think I might get the 35L one instead of a 55L one just so I don't have an extra 20L to fill. I could fit just over 5 gallons of ice in there with just the extra space though. Portable AC! Hmm that would weigh 50lbs or so. Maybe I should get the smaller one  Smiley

That doesn't sound good for the stelvios. I had a set of marathon plus tires bust out the center like that it was really bizzare but those tires are so mammoth it was almost rideable flat. With all this schwalbe talk maybe I need to try another brand of tires. Perhaps a 20 x 1.5 Randonneur by Vittoria heck it was Randonneur right in the tire name it has to be good right  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 12:56pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2009, 2:09pm

I think I'm off schwalbe as well, I may try some panaracers next time around.  I'll see how long I can stand the Metro K's on the Strada.  Haven't exactly warmed up to them yet.  The only person I know who had the Vittoria Randonneurs liked them alot (Dennis Cook).

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2009, 2:45pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 2:09pm:
I think I'm off schwalbe as well, I may try some panaracers next time around.  I'll see how long I can stand the Metro K's on the Strada.  Haven't exactly warmed up to them yet.  The only person I know who had the Vittoria Randonneurs liked them alot (Dennis Cook).

Take Care,
Nelson.

Uh,Ummm...Kwijybow, you know someone besides Dennis that rides with the Vittoria tires. She rides a Strada. 3,000 miles on the Vittoria's.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2009, 2:55pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 2:09pm:

Take Care,
Nelson.

I had a new Panaracer Stradius Pro blow out on me during my final lap of the 12hr Tejas TT:  It is hanging on my wall as a reminder to never buy that brand again.

Bryan

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 2:55pm by AustinSkater »  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #20 - May 12th, 2009, 3:18pm

Quote:
Uh,Ummm...Kwijybow, you know someone besides Dennis that rides with the Vittoria tires. She rides a Strada. 3,000 miles on the Vittoria's.

Yeah but she rides the 200g Rubino Pros, not the 500g Randonneurs. Smiley

Quote:
I had a new Panaracer Stradius Pro blow out on me during my final lap of the 12hr Tejas TT:  It is hanging on my wall as a reminder to never buy that brand again.

crap!  Like I said I'm not sure there is any brand or model of tire that is really trustworthy!  Seems like everybody has a story about every brand failing on them due to bad manufacturing, not just road hazard!

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 3:19pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2009, 3:25pm

Quote from Killer Bee on May 12th, 2009, 2:45pm:

The only lady riding a Strada I know should have tires outlast mine by at least 2-3x so that might not be the best endorsement Smiley

Oh well I ordered a pair of vittorias and I'll keep a kojak in my bag as a spare. I can use the same tubes. They are a little heavier and larger so maybe a higher carrying capacity and they have a reflective sidewall which we all know I need. Reflective Rim: Check, Reflective Spokes: Check, Reflective Tires: Check!  Hm all I need is a reflective valve cover  Grin
Hey look they just sqeek under 500
Size: 40-406 | 20x1,50 reflective
Colour: Black
Weight: 440
Psi: 45/95
Not much of a sidewall though  Smiley

I'll go easy on them for a few weeks before I push them and even if they are a tad slower that'll be ok I just hope they are at least as good as the kojaks have been with flats.

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 3:18pm:
crap!  Like I said I'm not sure there is any brand or model of tire that is really trustworthy!  Seems like everybody has a story about every brand failing on them due to bad manufacturing, not just road hazard!

The failures I've had aren't enough by themselves for a single event to put a tireout but repeated ones are a sign that maybe the tire wasn't designed with me or my bike in mind, no matter how much I think I like them.
Vredstiens perfect Moire tires are one I'll never do again at least on a recumbent and I thought those were great. The bead failed at <1000 miles on multiple tires the exact same way each time and supposidly they were from different batches/years. They sure rolled nice, kept flats off and were pretty.
Now I've had at least two kojaks fail the exact same way, a marathon plus blow out the center and two slowly bulge then blowout the sidewall similar to the kojaks but they actually had a real sidewall not a paper thin sidewall.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 4:01pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2009, 4:02pm

Quote:
The bead failed at <1000 miles on multiple tires the exact same way each time and supposidly they were from different batches/years

Is this on the same set of wheels?  or was that when you had your Giro?

I think to some extent nice ride with flat protection, implies the cushioning is coming from the sidewall.  Maybe you're just wearing them out by using them.  Don't you know you're supposed to buy the tires and then let them dry rot in the garage for 20 years, and then by another set.  I swear I think that is the scenario tire manufactures design for.
 Angry

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2009, 4:31pm

The Vredstien tires were on the Giro on two different rims. I had read on BROL about multiple people having the same exact issue. They were originally designed for cruiser type bikes that probably would be ridden a few miles at a time a few times a year, or ever, so yeah maybe it was the whole use part.

The only tires I've had on the Hurricane are the schwalbe kojaks. It came with some mismatched worn out tires which I rode once just to ride the bike but I already had the kojaks in hand.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #24 - May 12th, 2009, 5:30pm

Quote from evblazer on May 12th, 2009, 3:25pm:
Quote from Killer Bee on May 12th, 2009, 2:45pm:

The only lady riding a Strada I know should have tires outlast mine by at least 2-3x so that might not be the best endorsement Smiley

Oh well I ordered a pair of vittorias and I'll keep a kojak in my bag as a spare. I can use the same tubes. They are a little heavier and larger so maybe a higher carrying capacity and they have a reflective sidewall which we all know I need. Reflective Rim: Check, Reflective Spokes: Check, Reflective Tires: Check!  Hm all I need is a reflective valve cover  Grin
Hey look they just sqeek under 500
Size: 40-406 | 20x1,50 reflective
Colour: Black
Weight: 440
Psi: 45/95
Not much of a sidewall though  Smiley
http://www.togoparts.com/items/images/item-1227088797.jpg

I'll go easy on them for a few weeks before I push them and even if they are a tad slower that'll be ok I just hope they are at least as good as the kojaks have been with flats.

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 3:18pm:

The failures I've had aren't enough by themselves for a single event to put a tireout but repeated ones are a sign that maybe the tire wasn't designed with me or my bike in mind, no matter how much I think I like them.
Vredstiens perfect Moire tires are one I'll never do again at least on a recumbent and I thought those were great. The bead failed at <1000 miles on multiple tires the exact same way each time and supposidly they were from different batches/years. They sure rolled nice, kept flats off and were pretty.
Now I've had at least two kojaks fail the exact same way, a marathon plus blow out the center and two slowly bulge then blowout the sidewall similar to the kojaks but they actually had a real sidewall not a paper thin sidewall.

Careful there EV, you're gonna fire-up Mrs Starda & we'll all have to live with the fall out(especially me).  Smiley   Would you like to dig that hole deeper?   Smiley AND Kwijybow is also riding with the Vittoria's on the Corsa.  Smiley

The Vittoria's are good tires. Me? I'm riding with the Michelin Pro 3's.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #25 - May 12th, 2009, 5:40pm

Hole? I guess my comment was misinterpreted because I meant it to be complimentary.  

Or maybe I shoudl say what trouble did you get into that your are trying to deflect on me eh?  Smiley

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #26 - May 12th, 2009, 5:52pm

Quote from evblazer on May 12th, 2009, 5:40pm:
Hole? I guess my comment was misinterpreted because I meant it to be complimentary.

Or maybe I shoudl say what trouble did you get into that your are trying to deflect on me eh?  Smiley

Now that's well stated.  Smiley , Oh, it takes nothing for me to get into trouble. My name should be "trouble". I like living on the edge... Smiley.

Seriously, the Vittoria's are good tires. You won't go wrong with this brand.   Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - May 12th, 2009, 6:50pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 12th, 2009, 12:35pm:
I'm sorry to hear that Greg,  I had that rear tire quite a while though, only started riding it a lot again this year after I got the Strada and started commuting on it.  I didn't know that about the Stelvios.  At least mine was pretty uneventful, but it was sudden and quite loud when it went.  First time I ever had a failure of that type that wasn't on the sidewall like Mark's failures.

Take Care,
Nelson.

From what I understood, I had thought it to be a problem with only the 406s.  Then it happened to me on my 451, so after that I was done with stelvios.  I'm trying out the ultremos now.

I recently installed Ultremos on my Corsa. I first tried them at 145 psi - too rough a ride. I'm running them at 100 psi now, and have not noticed any decrease in speed when riding on the mix of road surfaces on pay rides. What pressures have you tried and what have been your experiences with regards to their effect on speed and ride quality, so far?

Jay G.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #28 - May 12th, 2009, 9:13pm

Hard to tell.  I've installed them on a wheel I've never ridden before, and I've only used them for maybe 25 miles.  They don't seem to be any worse or better than the conti gp 4k tires, though.  I've never had rims that let you go past 125psi, so I couldn't tell you what the pressur ethat high might be like.  Mine I try to keep right at 120-125.

Quote from jayg on May 12th, 2009, 6:50pm:
Quote from aikigreg on May 12th, 2009, 12:35pm:

Take Care,
Nelson.

I recently installed Ultremos on my Corsa. I first tried them at 145 psi - too rough a ride. I'm running them at 100 psi now, and have not noticed any decrease in speed when riding on the mix of road surfaces on pay rides. What pressures have you tried and what have been your experiences with regards to their effect on speed and ride quality, so far?

Jay G.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - May 14th, 2009, 6:39pm

Quote from evblazer on May 11th, 2009, 9:50pm:
I usually run them 85-90psi. The range on the sidewall is 65-95psi.

I'll check the brakes again but they were pretty far from the tire and the hydros go straight in and out rather then pivot.

I always run mine at 100

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print