Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another tire bites the dust (Read 4068 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Another tire bites the dust
May 11th, 2009, 7:03pm

So 2 minutes into my ride home tonight and thump thump thump

Ripped the sidewall with plenty of life on the tread area  Sad About 3600 miles on the tires. Oh well sat in front of the VZ building and put on my spare and then headed off to a nice ride home. Come to think of it same exact failure on my Giro 26 with the same type of tires with probably close to the same mileage.  Smiley

Better then this morning and all the grackels flying at like 3ft off the ground right across my path.. Weird birds.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009, 7:07pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Another tire bites the dust
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2009, 8:34pm

Well I have one spare left that I'll keep on the bike but am I the only one with constant sidewall failures and it is just based on overloading the tires or just bad luck? I've had the same problem with vredstien, 2 different schwalbes and primos since I've been riding bent in TX.  
I haven't used levers on the tires so it isn't that. They were at 85 or 95psi max so I wasn't pumping them up too hard.  
Other then the sidewalls giving out they have been great tires and they do last 3500+ miles before it happens..

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009, 8:36pm

perhaps they are too soft and should be pumped up more?  What brand are they?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2009, 9:18pm

Schwalbe Kojaks 406x1.35

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2009, 9:34pm

Send em back to schwalbe.  That makes absolutely no sense for tires of that size to get those sorts of cuts.  What's max inflation, 110?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2009, 9:37pm

What pressure do you run them at.  In my experience I have fewer flats but more sidewall failures with higher pressures,  rocks and such tend cut abrade the sidewalls instead of causing punctures, and the high pressure just plain wears the tires out structurally.  I haven't found that high priced tires last any better or are any more free of defects, you just get better rolling resistance usually.  If you got over 3000 miles out of a rear tire you beating my average!  The other sidewall failure issue can occur quickly if anything (mud, dirt, or the brake pad itself) at all rubs the tire and causes a week spot near the bead.  It doesn't have to happen long or cause an immediate failure, but it will cause it fail early at some point.

Take care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009, 9:40pm by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2009, 9:50pm

I usually run them 85-90psi. The range on the sidewall is 65-95psi.

I'll check the brakes again but they were pretty far from the tire and the hydros go straight in and out rather then pivot.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2009, 10:24pm

Well I recently had a Stelvio succumb to a manufacturing defect after 2000 miles.  I kinda knew it had funny spot but chose to ignore it until it just exploded.  Mine was almost in the center of the tire.  I think I stress mine by riding every day as well.  I pump my tires up to the max several times per week.  I think the tire manufacturers generally get away with crappy quality control because so few people actually ride their bikes enough to wear out a set of tires or expose the problems.

Most likely the best manufactured tires I've ever had are the ones from Grand Bois.  But they generally don't come in recumbent friendly sizes.
Almost every other brand has given me some kinda premature failure of some kind.  For me Continentals and Michelin brands have maybe come in a distant second.  The Vittorias I got from Steve seem to be doing pretty well so far.  Pretty awful luck with Specialized and Kendas, and now I'm no longer so keen on Scwalbe either.

I bought some cheapie Metro K's from Performance (I figured they are cheap so if they fail early I not out much money), and although they seem pretty well made, and so far so good flat wise, they are quite a bit slower than the Stelvios they replaced.  I think Panaracer makes the performance tires, and my panaracer Col de la Vie's have been really good tires also, if a bit sluggish.

Take care,
Nelson.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2009, 11:10pm

Well I yanked the aerotrunk, rack and ortleib adapter off.
7lbs
Put on the aeropod
~2lbs
So I can't bring home the laptop from work but at least it won't be flapping around behind my head supported from the bottom.

I also cleaned out all the other bags and found
4 glue patch kits, 2 glueless patchkits
40 8" zipties and 40 4" zip ties
A head set bearing - my wifes had exploded on a ride so I was carrying an extra around.
6 Tubes (one I used today)
Kwik tire lever which I have never used

Guess I never cleaned up from my 400k over prep and added my normal commuter stuff back in.
So.. My bike is another 2 lbs lighter from some more stuff removed (only kept a half dozen zip ties, 2 tubes and 1 fresh patch kit). Maybe that'll help with the tire  Smiley  

So my bike lost 7 lbs overall and a floppy because it was mounted from the bottom aerotrunk.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009, 11:11pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2009, 8:45am

One reason I don't want a bag too big!  Man I think 7 Pounds of redundant spares might be a little too much!  Wink

I think you just need to buy a folding bike and slip it in there and be done with it!

Anyway, if you ever discover a tire that combines great mileage, rolls well, is light, is cheap, and puncture resistant please let us know. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist!  Have you ever tried those Maxxis hookworks on one of your 20" wheelsets?  I had them on a RANS Vivo I owned for awhile, those things were well nigh industructable. I think they weighed as much as a heavy duty 26" tire, like an inch of rubber between the air and the road!  Maybe you want something like that for your commute, you don't seem to be to be squeamish about a few extra grams!   Cheesy

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2009, 8:54am

Nelson, did your tire develop an "s" bend in the middle before it went?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2009, 9:15am

Well I am squemish about grams on the wheels. The kojaks were 230 g a piece which was pretty good. The marathon plus that are on my xtracycle are 980 g a piece (580 in hurricane size)

The kojaks were pretty good. I had no flats on that rear tire, they rolled well and they were pretty light. $34 is pretty mid priced for tires I've looked at but the sidewall failures kinda ruin it. I took another look and the rear brakes have a few mm before the tire. Maybe I scrubbed it against something because that sidewall is paper thin compared to the tread portion.
Take the positives with a huge grain of salt considering the source (schwalbe) but it seems they think the sidewall is a weak point.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 9:18am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2009, 9:48am

Quote:

Hi Greg,

yeah the tire came with what looked like a defect in the center tread.

The Stelvios have a slight raised center strip of rubber. (pretend you're looking down on the strip).

----------------                ---------------
                    \----------/

That had a section off from the rest, probably a case defect.  That's right where it blew up. Just sort unzipped along the S curve.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2009, 10:42am

It's not a case defect.  This is a known issue with stelvios.  It's what caused my nasty road rash last year on the tica.  If I'd known you had stelvios I'da warned ya.  I'm sorry!

Quote from Kwijybow on May 12th, 2009, 9:48am:
Quote:

Hi Greg,

yeah the tire came with what looked like a defect in the center tread.

The Stelvios have a slight raised center strip of rubber. (pretend you're looking down on the strip).

----------------    ---------------
  \----------/

That had a section off from the rest, probably a case defect.  That's right where it blew up. Just sort unzipped along the S curve.

Take Care,
Nelson.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2009, 11:02am

I'm sorry to hear that Greg,  I had that rear tire quite a while though, only started riding it a lot again this year after I got the Strada and started commuting on it.  I didn't know that about the Stelvios.  At least mine was pretty uneventful, but it was sudden and quite loud when it went.  First time I ever had a failure of that type that wasn't on the sidewall like Mark's failures.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print