Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rainly MS ride (Read 1113 times)
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Rainly MS ride
May 4th, 2009, 10:56am

We have 6 rbent riders that ride for one of the best MS150 team  Smiley. We ride for the Wheeler Dealer team a small but mighty team, that are in my opinion are some of the best people you will ever meet.  

We had a nice team dinner on Friday night after attending the expo.  The ride was to start at 7am with teams being staged by team size. With the team of only has 14 riders, we were staged at the back very back . It took us 37 minutes for the ride organizers to  send out on course. That just meant that we had about 3,000+ rabbits in front of us. I was planing on riding out with one of the other strong lady riders ,she wanted to push herself a little . But with so many rides like this one, its very hard to keep people together.

I could see Steve and Ray darting in and out of people about a quarter mile ahead of me, so I pushed ahead with plans of waiting for the other ride down the road. Once we turned onto 380 it was a little easier to make time and pass a lot of the slower riders.  I  pulled over onto the shoulder to want for the other riders to catch me . They went passed me at about 20MPH so now I,m chasing them  undecided . We all stop at break point 3 , were Ray is waiting, he lost Steve in some heavy traffic. Now we have the team captain and Lynn, Ray Sarah and myself altogether. Our plan is to ride into lunch together.

We get separated , its now just Ray and I out there we put the harmer down. We pull into lunch to learn that we are the next 2  from our team to come in to the lunch Stop. Steve had been in about 30+ minutes before us ,made a very very fast stop and was back out .  Ray and I stayed around to see that other 3 riders come in for lunch then Ray ,Lynn,Sarah and I are looking at some very threatening skies. I decided we need to hurry  and finish . We make very good time the next 38 miles of so only making one more bathroom break.  We come a crossed the finish line together with a 18MPH average. We beat the rain but only by a few minutes. We see Steve seating on the parking lot of the Motor speedway . Steve had finished about an hour and half faster then us  Smiley way to go Steve... So all walk over to the food and team tents to find so food and beer, We could only find the beer Smiley. It begin to rain and then pour ,we take shelter in a message tent. The MS Secitey make an announcement that due to heavy storms that riders still out on course will be stopped &  their bikes will be brought to a central lock up area for pick up.

Ray and I go back out looking for food but once again, all we can find is more beer Smiley, So we fill a box full of beer that we are given so protein bars and a couple of shots of Starbucks coffee. Back to the message tent to wait out the storm and for the other riders to get back in .After waiting about an hour in this message tent and several beers,we are told that day 2 may also be called off. Our team captain make the decision not to have our team ride the second day  due to weather. All of are riders got back in safely and all bikes retrieved.  

Even with the bad weather this year ,I still think that this is one ride everyone should ride. I had a great time this weekend , It was filled with some of my favorite things. RIDING BIKE, SHOWING THAT RECUMBENT S ARE NOT SLOW, BEING WITH PEOPLE I LOVE, BEING ABLE TO BE OUT SIDE EVEN IN THE RAIN. IT JUST DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THEN THAT FOR ME.

Thanks for everyone this weekend Smiley Wink Wink                Pedlin Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Rainly MS ride
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2009, 11:01am

Just to add a little to Peggy's ride report....

The morning weather made for perfect riding conditions(overcast , warm ,but humid).

We headed North of the service road of the N Dallas Tollway ,left turn on hwy 380. Keep in mind that police/traffic control is everywhere on this ride. Peggy got caught at a light on the service road. Ray & I rode together on 380 ,until he was also caught at a light.  

At this point , I was on my own ,so I kept passing packs of riders in large numbers. There are rest stops every 10+ miles or so & SAG vehicles constantly patrolling the course.  

A right on FM 2931(S of Aubrey), & I thinking this part of the route would make a good rando route. A left on Freindship road, then a right onto hwy 377 N ,to FM 455. A left onto to FM 455 ,& the scenery turns into nice rolling hills with quarter horse farms dotting the landscape. Across Lake Ray Roberts(for those that were along the Rbent tide ride a few years ago on this road, this is approx. where one of friends had his 4th flat  of his day, 8th overall for the group).  

I stop at Sanger High School for a quick bathroom break, sandwich ,& drink & off(<5 mins). At this point, I had ridden 47+ miles in 2hrs-10 mins-33 secs. A 21.8 mph average(lunch at 9:45am). Off to finish. As I was getting on the bike to leave, I could feel the air/wind getting colder. After a series of quick lefts/rights ,there's a slight left hand roller climb that I really felt the cold air ,but as I climb the roller, there was warm air present ,which started to fog up my glasses. Add a slight mist ,& some threatening skies, I wanted/needed to go faster. I wanted nothing to do with riding int the rain.

A right onto FM 2164 ,a right on FM 3164/Milam(2 nasty railroad crossings-within 1 mile of one another-1 crossing ejected my water bottle. A quick jump off the bike & threw the bottle back in the water cage. As I was building up speed ,a pack of 5 "roadies" passed me, the only time that it happened. A left on I-35 overpass, where a sheriff(traffic control) said "the wind was shifting."  I arrived in Krum(miles 62.17-100K) with a bike time of 3hrs,5mins,15,secs.

Left onto FM 156, some rollers & & headwind slowed me a little. Onto Ponder. At Ponder ,the next stop is Justin & then Texas Motor Speedway. I arrive at TMS , 1 hr ,46,38secs after The Lunch stop. I arrived at TMS at 11:45am. Odometer read 84.52 miles. End of Day #1. Overall bike time was 4hrs,5mins,10 secs. I ended up with a 20.4 mph avg. I avoided the mess of weather that was to follow.

Thanks to Peggy , Ray & Angie Torrey(for their hospitality & friendship), & the other team Wheeler Dealers that make this event so enjoyable. Remember why we ride. We ride for a cure for MS.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2009, 11:55am

Good reports, glad y'all got in before the storms!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2009, 12:48pm

Peggy and Steve summarized the ride very well.  It was a blast, especially the first 10 miles, as Steve and I must have passed 1,000 riders.  After turning on hwy 380, Steve is going about .5 mph faster than me.  He makes it through one light, and I get stuck.  After turning green, I see him riding on the left, passing slower riders.  I try to bridge the gap, but kept hitting red lights, pls Steve was riding faster.  I give up chasing him, and make a quick stop at rest stop #3.  As I'm about to depart Peggy and few others from our team roll in.  I wait and tell Peggy, saying "chop chop".  She makes a quick stop and like she said we ride together for the rest of the day.  

Steve was incredibly strong, as was Peggy.  For the last 40 miles, Peggy and I rode with two of our teammates, who don't ride as much as we did, however, they were able to maintain an 18 plus pace, even with the shifting, cold wind.

Angie rode with one of our friends, and teammates Amanda.  Later we find out Amanda had 4 flats, but had the "never quit" attitude.  Angie stuck by her, and wouldn't leave.  Angie's an awesome human being, and like her name, is a true Angel.  

Despite a nagging knee injury, I averaged 18.6 for the first 50 miles, then slowed slightly for an overall average of 18.1.

Peggy took a lot of hilarious pictures, as we huddled in a small "massage" tent afterwards.  

OK, here's a riddle.  How many bottles of beer can you put in a Brain Bag?  Did ya know, the Brain Bag makes a very nice cooler.  Pictures might be forthcoming, unless Peggy decides "what happened in the tent, stays in the tent  Smiley

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2009, 1:00pm

great ride, all! Steve you musta been flying.  You are getting SO fast - nice work!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2009, 1:18pm

Quote from bikerteam on May 4th, 2009, 12:48pm:

OK, here's a riddle.  How many bottles of beer can you put in a Brain Bag?    Smiley

Not as many as fit into an Aerotrunk!!!   Smiley Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2009, 1:40pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 4th, 2009, 1:18pm:
Quote from bikerteam on May 4th, 2009, 12:48pm:

OK, here's a riddle.  How many bottles of beer can you put in a Brain Bag?    Smiley

Not as many as fit into an Aerotrunk!!!   Smiley Smiley

True, HOWEVER, with no food to eat ,& after riding hard ,it doesn't take much for a good beer buzz(I speak from experience).  Smiley

Peggy has pictures that I'll post later of her brain box crammed full of beer. I think it should be a picture on Bacchetta's website.   Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print