Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Granbury South (Read 333 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Granbury South
May 3rd, 2009, 8:49pm

The training is DEFINITELY paying off.

I didn't realize until I was 3/4 of the way through this ride that I'd actually ridden it before.  That happens when you're riding some of the same roads as other routes sometimes. If you ride the long route (83 miles) This route takes some of the roads from the goatneck and mixes them with a really neat way to get to granbury and back.  

It's a tough route.  One of those that seems like it has more climbing than the data shows, 3381 feet.  Most of it in the 1st half going from Granbury to Glen Rose, which is why is feels tough - even the small hills feel tall when you're tired.  I was just glad to actually get out and ride with PEOPLE.  I don't think I've ridden with anyone in almost two months.

When I rolled up to the group, it was like a scene out of a horror flick.  All 15 or so heads swivel as one to look at the dude on his funny bike.  Except for Jim who is looking good after having lsot a bunch of weight this last year - he says Hello, Bud!  He and I were the only ones slated to do the 83 miler.  Being that I'm training for hill speed, I had it in my mind to stick with the leaders all the way until the two routes splie at glen rose.  Along the way I got all the standard "hey can you climb with that thing" etc etc etc  Roll Eyes

I could bore with the details, but I think this is one of the best rides I've ever done, both physically and route wise.  It's got two hills over 15% which i was able to climb in the middle ring, and a gorgeous descent down Dinosaur valley into Glen Rose.  I actually hit 185bpm on those climbs, 1 beat higher than my record.  The fast roadies didn't want me along with them at first, as is usual, but after beating them or at least keeping up most hills, and pulling a LOT on the loop after Glen Rose, they took a shine to me and actually started talking to me and asking my name.  There's hope for those roadies yet!   Smiley

We all had a blast until mile 65 when it started spitting, and then started pouring.  Some of those roads had 90 degree turns and were slick as heck, and my brakes were gone - just too wet.  So we rode fairly slow unless we were on good straight pavement.

Tish, Mike, John, and I finished in time enough to chat a few minutes, load up, and then BOOM came the thunder, lightning, and driving rain.  It was good timing.  The slow group was in ahead of us actually - they missed a turn and had gotten a sag back.  So with everyone safe and sound I got myself a chicken salad sandwich and a diet coke and began the trek back home.

We had 3 extra bonus miles, so I had 86 miles almost exactly, and considering all the slow starting riding, stops to regroup until glen rose, and 20 miles in the rain I'll take the 17.1 mph average and 5h1min ride time as a win!  Great ride and good people.  I look forward to actually riding with some bents next weekend I hope!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print