Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike path switchbacks in the rain (Read 1034 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Bike path switchbacks in the rain
Apr 29th, 2009, 9:15pm

Well the little Wednesday social ride that I catch sometimes was a few riders short today due to the possible rain.  I was running late so I tried to intercept them on their route and found 2 riders (not any bents though) out of the 5 that started. I wonder if Ray and Angie ran into the fast riders that took off separately.  
They two road bikes I caught up with were a few miles into their ride and it hadn't yet started drizzling. We went through some back roads then started hitting some bike paths which cut through the neighborhoods sadly none in the direction I'd ever need to go. After a while though there was a really steep hill and very very tight switchbacks going up. The bike path is only about 6ft wide and the turns were well over 90 degrees but I was able to maneuver up them by unclipping one foot and continuing to pedal through the corners with one leg, unclipping to avoid heal strike as I had to demonstrate to avoid being called a cheater. It probably could have been easier but I was holding the rear so I had to slow down for the person in front on the road bike who kept foot planting the turns. It was some really good practice for slow speed handling up hills and on a wet surface too. Of course the alternative was to go off the bike path and drop 2-4 feet before finding the grass in some sections.
Before we headed back to the ride start it started raining just at the level it actually hurts when it hits you in the face so I"m thankful that I got my new carbon spider mounted up to block the worst of it. Most of the way home I'd stay in the back and to the left since between the two other riders their only light was a single superflash  Smiley but I guess it was good they had something right Smiley

I really liked being out there in the nice cool rain. It is warm enough out that the rain is just cold enough to be a nice chilly cold and not a soak you and freeze you cold.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Bike path switchbacks in the rain
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2009, 9:31pm

heh! I was out for a short one today while Keith was test-riding the v-rex.  Got ice in my mouth from the hail.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2009, 6:54am

Mark - what steep hill are you referring to?  

Angie didn't want to ride and risk getting caught in the rain.  I'm not as smart as she is.  As you know, I left my office at 3:30 and started riding when I got home.  Radar showed the rain north of Denton, so I wasn't too worried.  I was with the hammer heads doing a 30 plus mile ride the went up the back (steeper) side of hilltop.  As we were on the long descent it started raining hard.  .

The only negative about bents.  The rain and small hail was hitting me in the chest and face.  There was no place to hide until I got near Old Alton and hid under some trees.  As I was climbing Old Alton Hill (~ .5 mile at 7-8%) my rear tire spun a few times I assume from the oil and the torque required on that steep part of the hill.  What happened next ain't pretty, but suffice it to say that I'm at work today and not laid up from another injury.   Smiley

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2009, 11:45am

South of flower mound road is where the hill/bike path is.
You should be able to see it here in the zigzags between clearpoint and village crest
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brid lewood+flower+mound+tx&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.483917,57.216797&ie=UTF8&ll=33.028347,-97.100376&spn=0.004875,0.009227&t=h&z=17

If it was a straight up shot it still wouldn't compare to Hilltop, old alton or even Double Oak mini hill  Wink I'd assume the switchbacks are there to keep the path flat enough for walking/horses/wheelchairs? or some MUP or bike path assembly rule handbook.

Here is a poor pictures on streetview. There is so much glare you can't really even see the path but there is a handicapped access sign of some sort there which may explain the switchbacks.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brid lewood+flower+mound+tx&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.483917,57.216797&ie=UTF8&ll=33.027843,-97.099357&spn=0,359.963093&z=15&layer=c&cbll=33.027939,-97.099352&panoid=uHgjhyTwbA_qyFV-C-zg4A&cbp=12,304.33824411418913,,0,5.000000000000002

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009, 1:36pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2009, 1:46pm

Interesting Mark. I never ride on the bike paths, but the zig zag looks pretty cool.  I need to ride my DF there and check it out.  Thanks for the link.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2009, 1:58pm

DF would probably be good. You might be walking that LWB of yours. If I had a MTB I might try and head down it at speed.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2009, 10:55pm

holy...   and I freak at the "human engineering" turns on the Plano trails.  I wince when I have to make a few of them on the LWB.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print