Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well back from the recumbent Invasion (Read 3213 times)
irodguy

rbent member

Well back from the recumbent Invasion
Apr 21st, 2009, 1:46pm

While I was picking up my X-Stream people kept coming into PowerOn and buying trikes.  It really underlined the difference between the big recumbent shops and DFW.  While I was riding and Mark was adjusting  my bike, three Trikes of various types were picked up and a couple of Stradas.  

I will post the pictures when I get them downloaded.  It was interesting to see a start with 67 bents of various types.  I was the only x-stream.  There were an amazing number of trikes, over 30 cats and a number of ICE trikes.   I still could see living in Florida and riding the great trails.  

Here is one of the photostreams
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17892175@N07/sets/72157616929100493/ from Commander Shak he is one of the main catrike organizers in Florida so his pictures are "trike centric"  

Larry Varney was also taking a bunch of pictures.  I will pm him and see if his are online yet.  

The other interesting thing about the ride was the  announcement by Mark from catrike that they are releasing their new chain tensioner in May.  This will allow you to set the boom from all the way in to all the way out and not have to worry about the chain.  This makes it a lot easier when Marci and I both go out and she rides my trike.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2009, 2:56pm by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Well back from the recumbent Invasion
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2009, 2:18pm

Yeah trikes are EXTREMELY popular with the flatlanders, the retired, and of course, me!  Can't wait to pick one up for myself.  Sounds like you had a blast.  How are you liking the bike so far?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2009, 2:36pm

Well last year when I rode my Expedition with not quite as big a group I was towards the back of the middle group.   Riding the X-Stream I was in the front three bikes of the entire group going out.   Coming back I was towards the back only because I kept stopping to get the seat position dialed in.  I wanted to the seat back more but with the rear seat bag I had to fiddle because I was getting wheel rub.  Sunday afternoon I met Mark back at PowerOn and he fabricated a custom rack,  I was able to adjust the seat perfectly now.   I would not consider myself "fast" but no question faster than anything else I own.  

Overall I really like the X-Stream in fact enough that I might sell my Strada.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:13pm

Here is the video that one of the Crabs did.  They video nearly all of their organized rides.  http://www.vimeo.com/4277466

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:20am

You know, you have to love those CRABS.  They do a great job of recording their organized rides.  I love watching Bob's videos as well and they all seem to use Jimmy Buffet's songs.

IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2009, 4:00pm

Here's a viedo from Bob Emmerich, another CRAB.  I think they're trike-centric because it's Florida.  Didn't see you in this one.  http://vimeo.com/4309697

IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2009, 5:29pm

I am there Bob actually held the camera on me for a while.  I am in Blue shorts and a Blue Tour Dallas Jersey.   I am the last picture just before the Swiss singing Elvis.  That's right I said Swiss, he is the owner of the restaurant, an ah interesting.  Let's just say we were real happy that the second night was Elvis free.  

Yes there was a bunch of trikes there.  I believe over 50% of all the bents were trikes.  Probably 60% of the trikes were catrikes with most of the rest being Trice.  While the Trike guys were not as fast they sure looked comfortable.   There was one really interesting Trike a challenge with lots of carbon fiber.   I have it on good word that there will be several Twizards there next year.   Mark from PowerOn was just putting a Twizard together when I was in the shop having my custom rack built.  

The ride convinced me to buy a minivan in fact.  While riding the with South Florida group in Hollywood one of the guys opened his mini van and tryed to decide to ride his Tour Easy or Catrike.  I would have really like to take my Expedition and been able to keep the X-Stream both in the car.  

The Crabs are a great bunch of guys all though Bob keeps trying to kill me.  When I purchased the Expedition he and Phil insisted on taking me up Sugarloaf.  If I wanted hills I would not have gone to Florida.  I go to Florida to "embrace the flatness"

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2009, 10:16pm by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2009, 2:37pm

Well found a picture of Phil Mix, Larry Varney and me on the X-Stream.  
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7355230@N08/3455530967/in/set-72157617059053368/

You will of course not that Phil does not carry "craby" on the Strada.  Craby stays on the front of his Trice.  

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2009, 4:34pm by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print