Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:34am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Easy Street's 2009 Bent Event (Read 1190 times)
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Easy Street's 2009 Bent Event
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:10pm

Photos not in order, due to photobucket being a pain in my Shocked  

http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/MyJudge2/Easy%20Street%202009/

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Easy Street's 2009 Bent Event
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2009, 10:41am

Very cool, thanks for taking the photos...  glad somebody from RBENT could get down there!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2009, 4:49pm

It was a lot of fun.  I really want a velo, but I have to say, I was most impressed with the Scarab trikes.  The steering is supposed to be true centerpoint steering.  The links cross each other under the main tube.  I got up to about 15mph in an empty parking lot going downhill and cranked the steering back and forth, trying to lift a wheel with no success.  There was a little sliding, but no air on any of the turns.  I was shocked at the perceived difference with the Rotor Cranks.  Of course, my inexperience may mean I'm more apt to pedal squares than circles, so I'd be a prime candidate for them if it wasn't for the $$$!  The shocker for me was the quad.  I wouldn't be the least bit ashamed to designate one as my grocery hauler.  Once again, it unfortunately comes down to the price tag.  I think if we all have to live under Obamunism, we need to petition for a welfare program to assist the people in purchasing pollution free transportation.  If you're listening Mr. President, I'll take a Go-One3, or a cabbike, or an Aerorider, or an Aurora, or a suspended quad, or Scarab and a raincoat................

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 4:22pm

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Apr 21st, 2009, 4:49pm:
It was a lot of fun.  I really want a velo, but I have to say, I was most impressed with the Scarab trikes.  The steering is supposed to be true centerpoint steering.  The links cross each other under the main tube.  I got up to about 15mph in an empty parking lot going downhill and cranked the steering back and forth, trying to lift a wheel with no success.  There was a little sliding, but no air on any of the turns.  I was shocked at the perceived difference with the Rotor Cranks.  Of course, my inexperience may mean I'm more apt to pedal squares than circles, so I'd be a prime candidate for them if it wasn't for the $$$!

I'm not affiliated with Barry except for having purchased a Scarab, however, I will say my Scarab is a real vehicle and has met untold abuse in the ~12,000 miles I've ridden it in heavy traffic under conditions I wouldn't ride any other bike with. It is stable. I've had it doing 3-wheel slides at over 40mph, it's been bounced a half-foot in the air several times at 25-35mph (while going sideways once), It's been run off the road where the pavement is broken off with a 6" drop and the rear wheel was getting bounced up and down... I could keep going on. It never complains and takes everything I throw at it in stride. It probably doesn't make a great parking lot trike as it performs best out on the road, packed down with a lot of gear. That's when you really see the difference between it and most others. I had a TerraTrike first but tore the left axle boom off of it cranking the thing up my hill in about 4k miles. The Scarab had been through at least 10x the abuse. I have a couple of mods that make it a little better, but it's really a great vehicle. One mod improves the front wheel bearing loading so the wheels turn a little easier, and the second main one is to put a 40-spoke 4-cross tandem wheel on the rear with 1/4" ball bearings. The wheel flexes much less and the spokes tend to not whack the rear der when loaded in a hard right turn in a low gear.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print