Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inagural Bobccat Bite(103k)ride (Read 831 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Inagural Bobccat Bite(103k)ride
Apr 18th, 2009, 5:20pm

Ken Ward,Peggy & I rode my new LSR 103k route this morning/afternoon. Much thanks to Ken for hosting & acting as ride leader(and shout out to Nelson for getting the route approved & spoon feeding me on what to do as a route owner). Three Bacchetta's started & finished the ride.

The three of us met at Celina Town Square this morning,amidst relatively cool temperatures(due to the high humidity) ,but light winds.The ride starts in Celina, heads up Preston Road past of Gunter.  Approx. a few miles north of Gunter,the route travel east to Howe on really good ,low traffic roads(for those that rode the DART & Cupcake permanent last fall might remember the route), onto to Howe.

As we headed North & east the clouds seemed to get lower & lower creating some light moisture on the glasses. By the time we stopped a the 1st control, the humidity/low clouds were starting to dissipate.

After Howe ,we head west on FM 902 to Dorchester for a quick information control. Peggy & I sprinted from  the 4 mile mark to the information control in Dorchester(we were cruising at speeds in the high 20's/low 30's. It was getting warmer outside by now. After arriving at the control a few minutes ahead of Ken,we all took off together & Peggy & I picked up the pace.

South on Preston Rd to Gunter, right turn on FM 121 to Tioga(birthplace of Gene Autry). Peggy & I pick up the pace again, speeds in the high 20's. We averaged 21+mph from the Control in Howe to the control in Tioga. On FM 121 ,we would feel a few drops of rain periodically, but then nothing for a while ,then the process would start all over again. Nothing notable as far as precipitation.  A quick stop in Tioga & off to finish this ride up in Celina.

18+ miles to the finish & Peggy wants to set the pace. We cruise along on Hwy 377 for 7 miles at 19-20mph. We arrive on the outskirts of Pilot Point ,left turn onto Fm455,this is where the "bite" comes into the title of the route name. Not that long ago, this rural road was perfectly smooth ,road. Denton County took care of that. For the next 5+ miles,BOULDERSEAL!

Peggy & I pedal on. There are a few rollers on FM 455. As you cross into Collin county(5 miles to go to the finish),you pass over a newly constructed bride ,then there's a slow turn to the right & 2 little rollers that get your attention. Then another series of small rollers and a  30+ mph descent  & then a slow left hand turn into a roller(11-12 mph). At this point ,you're 1 from the finish.

We hammer onto to the finish(the control is a few blocks to the east of the town square),& we finish with an overall time of 4hrs,30 minutes-17.1 mph avg(bike time of 3hrs 47mins,44 secs).

Unfortunately we lost ken shortly after Dorcehster. We found at lunch that ken suffered a flat & then a chain jam,both of which Ken overcame & finished strong. Goog job Corsa Ken.  

Ken confirmed the climbing elevation the route at 1,998 feet. There are approx. 16 turns on this 103 k route. I like the route ,by I'm biased.

One of the best parts of the route is Lucy Restaurant on the square. Home cooking ,very cyclists friendly. GREAT food & desserts. Paul,Bud & Greg might remember this restaurant from a few years ago ,during an Rbent ride. They have move around the corner from where there were 2 years ago , but the Cow still remains. Home made potato chips(just for you Mark M ) & homemade pie to die for. Peggy has pictures of the route & grub to follow.

Thanks again to Ken & Peggy for riding the route.  Overall,it was a nice day to be on the bike(at least where we were).  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Re: Inagural Bobccat Bite(103k)ride
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2009, 7:16pm

This is a great route and I had a blast riding today in spite of a little adversity. Other than the occasional drop of rain the temperature was mild and the wind was very light. Steve and Peggy were nice enough to hang with the old man up to mile 30. After that I knew all of the roads well because I often ride in this area. This is a recumbent friendly route with only a few serious climbs. The 12 mph hill refenced in Steve's post was a 6 mph climb for a mere mortal.

Lucy's is definitely a treat and it had been way to long since I had been there. It was a pleasure to see friendly faces at the end - Steve and Peggy as well as the waitress who was sharing thier concern about where Ken was. Bikin Mike was also in the house and stopped by to say hello.

I'm looking forward to doing this one again.

Corsa Ken

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2009, 7:43pm

Ken ,it's been too long since we had seen/ridden with you. It was a good day. Here are a few pictures of today's ride:
Lucy the cow, FOOD, the participants,etc...  

(AND Ken, thanks for kind words about the route. I made a few changes to the wording on the cue/perm cards. Thanks for the input Ken). Yes,this can be a speed route(if so desired).

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0145_1.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0150_2.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0155_1.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0154.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0151.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0156_2.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/strada177/SANY0153.jpg

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2009, 8:49pm

Good report and photos, sounds like y'all had fun. I had planned on joining you, but got cold feet about driving so far with the weather looking so iffy.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2009, 9:02pm

sorry I missed it.  Sounds like a nice speedy route.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2009, 9:08pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 18th, 2009, 8:49pm:
Good report and photos, sounds like y'all had fun. I had planned on joining you, but got cold feet about driving so far with the weather looking so iffy.

Bud,no worries. I completely understand(& I would have done the same thing). We got very lucky & dodged the rain. I see reports on the LSR site that some other routes(Beanstalk, Blue Ridge Boogie, etc...)where those riders weren't so lucky with the weather.  

Peggy & I thought of you ,Paul ,& Greg while we were eating at Lucy's.  Ken was correct, it's been too long since we've eaten at Lucy's. We missed riding with "Farticus".

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2009, 9:13pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 18th, 2009, 9:02pm:
sorry I missed it.  Sounds like a nice speedy route.

Greg, this route is right up your alley,speed(although some of the route is the same route as the "Bataan Death march" Rbent ride almost 2 years ago(remember ,8 flats, 2 chains issues, & Paul's bulging tire). And then there's Lucy's. You know all about their "birthday brownies".

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2009, 11:03pm

Good Job guys!  Sorry I couldn't get there for the inaugural ride.  I got a shorter ride in heading out from the house up North and then back.  Cut it even shorter than I intended because I did a number on my Stelvio sidewall, after booting it up I just turned around and headed back.  Sounds like you guys were flying!

I think I'm going to try to make Blue Ridge Boogie in the morning.  Anyone else?

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print