Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cheeburger! Cheeburger 200k Permanent (Read 2828 times)
Bud_Bent

Cheeburger! Cheeburger 200k Permanent
Apr 11th, 2009, 9:31pm

Steve, Peggy, Ray, Nelson, and I rode Nelson's Cheeburger! Cheeburger! 200k permanent today. This route leaves out of Van Alstyne and heads straight west to Forestburg, then makes the return trip. It crosses the upper reaches of Lake Ray Roberts in four places, gving some great scenery there, as well as offering some great views of the rolling hills around Forestburg. We started the ride at 7:30 am.

I threw way more clothes than I thought I'd ever need in the truck before I left for the ride start, but when I arrived in Van Alstyne, it was 44 degrees, so I put on everything I had. It warmed up nicely within a couple of hours, and turned into a beautiful sunny day, in spite of the cloudy day forecasts. Forestburg is just 15 miles from Montague, where the worst fires were, but we saw no fire damage on the route, and there was no smoke in the air today.

The nice little ENE tailwind we had on the way to Forestburg quickly turned into a hard blowing ESE headwind after we turned around, making the second half of the ride much tougher. The 17.2 mph average I carried into Forestburg quickly faded as we headed back. I always seem to wear out late in these rides, when I've made one of my marathon bass fishing trips the day before, and today was no exception. I hit the wall at around mile 80, and was pretty much just turning the pedals after that. Any time I end up in that situation, I always think back to Mark Metcalfe's thoughts on the subject: "You'd be surprised at how many miles you can still ride, after you've reached the point of just being able to turn the pedals." That thought always seems to help me finish these rides.

Near Valley View on the return route, at mile 84, I passed the 10,000 mile mark on my Corsa. That's easily the most miles I've ever put on one bike. As usual, I had a blast riding with this group. Thanks for having me along, y'all!  We finished up with a great dinner, and I headed home, thinking I would get there before any rain arrived. I was mistaken. At 8:00 pm, I was sitting in the parking lot known as the Dallas mixmaster, in a hail storm. I think it was all small enough to not damage my truck, but I'll have to check in the daylight tomorrow.

I ended up with 126.5 miles, and finished the ride in 10:20. My Garmin showed 4,700 feet of climbing.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2009, 9:46pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Cheeburger! Cheeburger 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2009, 10:19am

Bud, congratulations on 10,000 miles.  Thanks for making the trek all the way from Arlington(and Ray from Flower Mound).  The route starts at a McDonald's ,with the next scheduled stop at a unique convenience store/feed store/welding supply store in Forrestburg(that serves Cheeseburgers) & the return stop is the McDonald's.

Yeah ,the light tailwind was replaced with a howling headwind at the turnaround in Forrestburg. It was downright cold at the start ,but at mile 20 or so we were all shedding layers of clothing & it turned out to be a beautiful day ,despite the stiff East wind.  Another epic 200k done.

You gotta love a LSR 200k route that has a cue sheet that's about a 1/4 of page. It's always fun to ride with this group. Nelson ,Ray,Bud & Peggy rode strong all day. AND no bonus miles(pretty hard to get lost on this route).

I felt good all day ,although I started to tire the last ten miles( in Gunter).  We all finished within a few minutes of one another ,then finished the day at a convenient store with multiple fast food restaurants(Subway ,Burger King ,& Mexican restaurant-guess which one Bud chose,no ,it wasn't Subway).

Peggy & I had a short 30 minute drive home & got the bikes in the garage just as a few sprinkles started to fall. Pegg has pictures from the ride that's she will share later.

Bud , did the Ninja make an appearance last night?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2009, 10:57am

Steve is far too modest, even Bud too. First I must say that I had a great time with great friends.  Yes the howling wind for the ~64 mile return was tough, as well as the hills between Gunter and the finish.  

I was off the back a majority of the ride.  I've been nursing a really bad knee, assumed to be the same as what Metcalf and Shellene has.  My output relative to my ability was around 60-70% on flats, and about 50% on hills.  Oops, did I say hills. My Garmin read similar to Bud; roughly ~4600 feet of climbing.

Bud rode really strong all day.  We all know The Peddlin' Peggy is stong uphill, though Bud was keeping up with her most of the day.  Way to go Bud!  Grin

Steve's training is paying off.  He could have finished in 8 hours or less, but he was patiently waiting for us, especially me.  He even turned around at one point fairly early in the ride and asked if I was ok.  While it was embarassing, it made me realize that I need to get an MRI and see if there is any damage and then rehab it.  

Frustrating yes... I barely recovered from Achilles surgery and now the knee.  If we have TTTT this fall, I need to start the road to recovery now.  

I digress...

Peggy rode real strong all day, and at times she would fly with Steve, and other times she would be the ambassador and help keep my mind off the pain.  Nelson often road 100 yards or so behind me, though I know it was a gesture of good will, to ensure I kept moving forward.

Thanks much to my great friends.  This is a challenging ride, without a 20plus mph wind in your face the last half.  

HAPPY EASTER ALL

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2009, 11:15am

Great job everyone.   Just finishing in wind like that is a victory.  I can't wait until Baseball is over and I can actually have some time to ride more than an hour at a time.  

Ray hope the mri comes out clean.  If it does, give me a shout and maybe I can help.  I've been getting back in the weight room these past few weeks and throwing in some very specific knee exercises because I've been having both achilles tendonitis and knee ache as well.  Both seem to be pretty much gone now, in spite of me really doing some cranking when I'm training.    

Glad to hear about the training Steve.  We all knew you were gonna be a monster!  Im doubly glad since I've got the same coach and I only have about 15 weeks left.  EEK!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2009, 12:02pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 12th, 2009, 11:15am:
Great job everyone.   Just finishing in wind like that is a victory.  I can't wait until Baseball is over and I can actually have some time to ride more than an hour at a time.  

Ray hope the mri comes out clean.  If it does, give me a shout and maybe I can help.  I've been getting back in the weight room these past few weeks and throwing in some very specific knee exercises because I've been having both achilles tendonitis and knee ache as well.  Both seem to be pretty much gone now, in spite of me really doing some cranking when I'm training.  

Glad to hear about the training Steve.  We all knew you were gonna be a monster!  Im doubly glad since I've got the same coach and I only have about 15 weeks left.  EEK!

Greg, thanks for the "shout out". Yes ,the training has really helped for Peggy & I. I'm sure you've seen positive results from your training as well. We missed you on the ride yesterday. Yeah ,the wind made it a challenge ,but that's riding in the wind tunnel we call Texas.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2009, 12:50pm

Ok Steve...i do lotta lurking in here...lol Smiley

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2009, 1:40pm

Quote from Rose Pedals on Apr 12th, 2009, 12:50pm:

Ok Steve...i do lotta lurking in here...lol Smiley

Doesn't lurking & Ninja go hand-in-hand? I had better stop before the moderator gets "wind" of this. Oh,there I go again.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2009, 2:22pm

Ray congrats on making it through a tough one, I heard you hurting when you didn't think I could!  It so good to ride with such friends.  I had a great time despite feeling Ray's pain.  Bud sailed along looking great at the end.  Steve I definitely plan some sneaky revenge for the sprint defeat!  Peggy was super strong also.  I'll post some photos of the day soon. Hopefully a few will come out.  I'm waiting to finish up another roll and develop them altogether.  The wind was there, but it truly was a beautiful day and I am truly thankful to get to share it with such good friends!

Take Care, and Happy Easter,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2009, 2:45pm

Uh-Oh, I awakened the sleeping giant. There will be NO sprinting from me on the 600k, I will make that promise. It will be"'survival mode" from mile 1 to mile 383 for me.  

Will have to wait until a May LSR ride, maybe  Bud's "Peachy Keene" or my "Bobcat Bite" route. We're in recovery mode for the next 2 weeks(I'm not sure what that means, the coach is sending a plan)for the 600K.  

Ray, keep us updated on the status of the knee.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2009, 3:31pm

Bad timing, is all I gotta say...   how often does one encounter EAST winds around here?????   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2009, 8:16pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 12th, 2009, 3:31pm:
Bad timing, is all I gotta say...   how often does one encounter EAST winds around here?????   Smiley

Yeah what are the odds?  Smiley I chose this route because the prevailing winds are south/southwest. Then ,as the week passed ,I see the revised forecast...winds from the east/northeast. Great. Smiley

Oh well ,a little resistance training. I believe Nelson said that he has never ridden this route without a return headwind.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2009, 10:00pm

So far I've been foiled for my downhill / tailwind return.  I'm pretty sure though I've never had that on any permanent or brevet ever so I guess it will be a quite a special day!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2009, 9:16am

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 12th, 2009, 10:00pm:
So far I've been foiled for my downhill / tailwind return.  I'm pretty sure though I've never had that on any permanent or brevet ever so I guess it will be a quite a special day!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Everyone please keep that in mind whenever you're planning to ride with Nelson...  Sounds like there's a curse involved...   Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009, 9:16am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2009, 10:01am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 13th, 2009, 9:16am:
Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 12th, 2009, 10:00pm:

Take Care,
Nelson.

Everyone please keep that in mind whenever you're planning to ride with Nelson...  Sounds like there's a curse involved...   Smiley

Paul , not a Nelson issue ,but rather a Steve issue. I was the ride leader. It was my suggestion to ride this route on Saturday.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2009, 11:21am

Quote from Killer Bee on Apr 13th, 2009, 10:01am:

Paul , not a Nelson issue ,but rather a Steve issue. I was the ride leader. It was my suggestion to ride this route on Saturday.

Better Saturday than Sunday...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print