Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 16th, 2024, 11:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recommending a recumbent (Read 2783 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Recommending a recumbent
Apr 9th, 2009, 12:44am

I was talking to a co-worker today, it turns out he's had chronic back problems (soon to have surgery) and cannot ride a standard bike. It sounds like he can't handle something like my old Vision R50 "Lawnchair" seat due to it being mostly upright and I'm thinking of recommending something with a carbon or fiberglass M5-type seat. Doesn't sound like he wants to pay a lot so I'm thinking something along the lines of a SWB Actionbent above seat steering or perhaps a Giro dual 20". One problem is he's rather short at 5'4"

I'll likely point him to Actionbents site although just in case he can't handle even the M5 seat I'd rather he try something local first so maybe a trip to Plano Cycle Fitness to look what they have.  

Anyone out there with a better alternative or selling something that might work?

IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Re: Recommending a recumbent
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2009, 8:36am

26/20 Stratus or find him an old V2. I have a V3 and my girl is 5'4" and can ride it.

Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2009, 8:38am

A Gyro dual 20 would be worse then a 26/20. IT would actually pull the BB up. Also an old bike E would be cool. Oh oh and there is a green tailwind or vision on craiglist for 500.00. That would be a good bike.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2009, 9:13am

I think you're on the right track, Mark. I'll disagree with Jason and say a higher bottom bracket will work better. A Euro style seat with more recline is what works best for most of us with a bad lower back, and a higher bottom bracket goes with more recline. A Stratus or V2 is too upright for me. Even with my EZ Tandem, I can't recline the seat enough, so I don't attempt long rides on it. The slightly higher bottom bracket of my SXP let me recline that seat enough for my back, but I had to add a lumbar support cushion because of the seat pan bugging me, with the seat reclined further than it's intended to be. A new SXP with the sling mesh seat might work better, but that's a bit pricey for a first recumbent.  

Giros, Stradas, and Corsas can be fitted with Euromesh seats, and converted to 24" wheels, which work for shorter people, but something less expensive like the Actionbent may be more what he wants as a first recumbent. He should do some test riding, but needs to keep in mind that a short test ride isn't going to really tell him what his back will tolerate, unless he's never going to do any long riding than the test ride.

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2009, 9:21am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2009, 9:23am

LWB might work with enough recline, but most of them tend to be expensive.  A V-rex or rans rocket would work.  Even though the v-rex has a "lawnchair" seat, you can recline it plenty - I've used it for 200ks a lot and had no recumbutt issues.   Both of those can be had in the 6-700 dollar range if you're watchful.

Don't rule out things like trikes as well.  Actionbent makes some pretty decent ones, which you can find just north of a grand.  A used giro or strada could also fit in rather well, and the euromesh you can get on the Bacchettas might be the best option of all of them.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2009, 10:01am

Mark, I agree with Greg--I like my V-Rex and can adjust the back of the seat to recline or bring it up if I want.  I'm 5'3" and have to tippy toe without leaning the recumbent on stops, but I have the thick seat bottom on this bike.  With the thin gel bottom, I didn't have any issues.  I like the bottom bracket height on the V-Rex better than I did on the Lightning Thunderbolt.  It just works better for me.

IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2009, 10:10am

Quote from diannalightning on Apr 9th, 2009, 10:01am:
Mark, I agree with Greg--I like my V-Rex and can adjust the back of the seat to recline or bring it up if I want.  I'm 5'3" and have to tippy toe without leaning the recumbent on stops, but I have the thick seat bottom on this bike.  With the thin gel bottom, I didn't have any issues.  I like the bottom bracket height on the V-Rex better than I did on the Lightning Thunderbolt.  It just works better for me.

Ok, I just remembered, Carolyn Roberson is thinking of selling her Lightning Thunderbolt.  I don't know price or anything, but it might be worth a test ride on it to see if he likes it.  She has really fallen in love with her trike.  The Lightning is a short frame so I'm sure that it will fit him and the boom adjusts.  I'll try to get her to respond on the forum.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2009, 12:08pm

The Lightnings have a fairly upright seating posture, so it may not work for him... but that's what test riding is for!  To get significant recline, you've really got to have a bike with a higher (relative) bottom bracket pedal position -- The StratusXP seat's max recline is about 55 degrees -- anything less, and the seatpad interferes with the backs of your legs, and any "pushing" of the pedals slides you right up the seatback.  The more "laid back" seats like the Hoagie, M5, etc., are designed to support against the upper back better, for that push against the higher pedal position.

I'd suggest a steel V3 for him, but he might have ground reach problems.  Try a trike first...

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2009, 12:09pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2009, 12:48pm

My bad I read the hard shell more reclined thing in the post but chose to block it out and go with what new person would be more comfortable with. I concur then a V3 would be perfect with a euro or something like it. Although it needs a angled stem to effectively use a reclined seat. I rode my new one yesterday and it is great. My wife is 5'4" and has never been on a recumbent in her life. She rode right down the alley on it in the dark last night. My plans are hoogie seat and angled stem and I think it will become the favorite soon. I ride my Gyro 20 with no pins in the seat fully reclined with a euromesh and it is a very nice set up and easy to reach te ground. Good back support too. Either one would work prob. but the V3 is more predictable. There is a Gyro back on craigs for 600.00.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2009, 3:52pm

Dianna - we switched out my wife's thick seat with the thin pad.  It feels weird at first but I've used it for long rides with no discomofrt, and it brough her at least an inch lower.  It's worth the money to switch out.  She is 5'3" as well.  (so she says anyway - She's a shawtie)

Listen to Bud about the higher BB - a higher BB is what allows for more seat recline in most bikes.  The lightning is a GREAT bike, but it's going to cause your friend pain - too much lower lumbar pressure.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
ceerob57

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2009, 7:47pm

Hello,
If your coworker is serious and would like to take a test ride, let me know.  I was able to ride it before I bought it so I could be sure it is what I wanted and have loved it.  It is comfortable and may not need many adjustments as I am 5'3' tall (or short).  I have a SWB Lightning Thunderbolt and might would be willing to part with it for a very reasonable amount.  I am currently enamoured with my new tadpole trike.  Let me know and we can arrange a $000.00 ride.  I live in Arlington close to I-20 or can be contacted through this site.  Let me know.      

ceerob57
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2009, 8:55pm

Hey, Carolyn -- are you doing the Lancaster 40 on your trike???

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
ceerob57

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2009, 6:00am

No, this is my work weekend, but I look forward to next weekend.  Smiley

ceerob57
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2009, 11:23am

[quote author=aikigreg link=1239255894/0#9 date=1239310376]Dianna - we switched out my wife's thick seat with the thin pad.  It feels weird at first but I've used it for long rides with no discomofrt, and it brough her at least an inch lower.  It's worth the money to switch out.  She is 5'3" as well.  (so she says anyway - She's a shawtie)  quote]

Greg, I have the thinner seat pad--just more comfortable for longer rides on the thicker one.  You're correct--I can touch the ground better with the thinner one, but the thicker pad is required for 50 or more miles.

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2009, 10:04pm

Quote from kingjason on Apr 9th, 2009, 8:38am:
A Gyro dual 20 would be worse then a 26/20. IT would actually pull the BB up. Also an old bike E would be cool. Oh oh and there is a green tailwind or vision on craiglist for 500.00. That would be a good bike.

I was at Plano Cycle and Fitness today and they had a Giro 20 however it was 26/20 which makes me wonder why they call it a Giro 20

Someone in Dallas is selling an Actionbent on Craigslist for $200 although now  he wants to try my Vision....we'll see how it goes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print