Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Overcast Spanish Fort Perm.. (Read 2580 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Overcast Spanish Fort Perm..
Apr 6th, 2009, 9:39am

Smiley is unfortunately how I felt halfway through the ride.  Too much sun, no sun screen, acia berry (ew) and bad subway just killed it. After that point it was water and G2 but that was all I could take in. Here is a pretty tame pic from around where my road ID was straped.  

Up above my knee was swollen 1/8" or so from the non burned skin. So I just gotta remember no matter how tanned my legs might be or the forcast to bring xtra lotion because unfortunately not many places sell it when you need it. The front of my legs feel like leather tearing off but on a good note it helped me forget the squigly squirmy thing going on to the inside of my left knee Smiley

The ride actually started out ok for almost a whole mile by mile one though I dropped my chain off the outside and instead of getting it back on it twisted around and then I was alone for a while but eventually I ended up catching some folks for a little while after I braked very little down the big hill out of Saint Jo(?)

It was a good turnout about 19 folks were out. Shellene and Bryan were out on their Corsa SSs and there were 15 of those upright bikes including a Carbon Fiber Tandem.

if I remember correctly overall per my garmin
131 miles
11:30 overall time
9:45 ride time

Avg HR 113
No it wasn't overcast at all especially after I took off my Carbon Spider and found it already torn  Sad  

I'm pulling out of the 600k as I was feeling my knee before the second stop. Probably find some doctor to take a look to see how bad it is and then concentrate on just commuting and dropping some lbs. I mean sure the 261 that I weighed in last night and a ~50 lb rear suspended with some gear bike can FLY downhill but getting back up is something else entirely.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009, 9:40am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Overcast Spanish Fort Perm..
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009, 11:42am

Dang, sorry to hear you're knee is bothering you, Mark. And yes, the sun is no small issue, especially when you recline as much as we do. I put sunscreen on my legs before the start or at the first control, and my legs are fine. But even that isn't enough for my face and arms. That's why I got the Carbon Spider visor, and why I'm trying the white long sleeve compression shirt that many long distance recumbent riders seem to favor.

I hope the knee is better soon.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009, 12:11pm

I'm going to order a new carbon spider because it was really handy for night commutes and commutes in general. I may try and glue the one I have back together somehow.

My long sleeve shirt worked nicely except the gap between it and my glove. I may try for some tights if they exist and aren't a leg burning black color.  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2009, 12:41pm

Ouch Mark!  Sorry to hear about everything.  Spanish Fort is a trial in the best of times, and I wouldn't have wanted to try it in all that wind, especially if it was in your face on that long lonely stretch between Spanish Fort and whatever town that next control is.  

I think your legs are a bit more exposed on your new bent than they were on the Giro.  I definitely struggle with the leg burn and also a nasty heat rash even on the covered parts.  Once that sets in it pretty well ruins my ride depending on severity.

Did you really hit 51mph on that big sucker?  Nicely done!

Oh, and they're not cheap, but here's what Jim Kern swears by.  I tried them and they were too tight.  I'll be buying a pair of tights in a size up.  I thought the compression tops were too choking around the neck.

http://www.skins.net/us/en/default.aspx

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2009, 1:02pm

Yeah thinking about it now you are definately right on the leg exposure. On the giro my upper legs were pretty hidden but now they are all out there in front of the tiller to cook all day no matter where the sun is facing. It probably didn't help that my brevet shorts are 3" shorter then my commuters so I had fresh skin out there to be toasted up top.

Hm neat both the skins and UA Heatgear look like they come in white and with UPF so I could just wear some thin grey poly shorts over them for a bit of modesty. Now to just find out where I can get something in my size. That size down advice on the skins site did seem odd I wish they'd include measurements for the legs and not just the waist.

I may get the heatgear first since I could probably use it on my commutes home and not worry so much about wearing them out. Then way I could even try a darker color and see if it made that much of a difference with it being just $$ instead of $$$.
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/apparel/bottoms/leggings/pid1201167-M en-s-UA-HeatGear-Legging/1201167-001

Yup the Garmin showed 51 the Cateye Strada showed 52.5 so I was flying down that hill and some truck had to pass me at some point and kicked up some sand in my face which is alot different at high speeds. The hurricane holds really well at high speeds with that rear suspension and the ~35mm tires I have on it.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009, 1:04pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2009, 1:55pm

I didn't take any photos after the ride, but I have never been so red after a ride in my life.  I'm used to my DFs, where my arm positions move a lot, and the legs are not sitting straight up to the sun.  I may have to join Shellene in wearing arm-coolers: http://triathlonlab.com/product/desoto-arm-coolers.html

Here are my numbers, I hit the brakes on the big descent:  http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7931993
Shellene on the other hand never touched her brakes the entire day:  http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7939489

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2009, 2:05pm

The Insport Brute shorts I wear have an 11 inch inseam, so they pretty much go down to my knees, and they don't ride up. Sunscreen does a passable job below my knees.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009, 2:09pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2009, 4:59pm

Wow, did anyone notice the elevation on the Motionbased links that Bryan sent?  Even though there is a 500' difference, this still ranks Spanish Fort as one of the highest elevation gain 200k Permanents in the LSR books.  

Bryan - ~6,600'
Shellene - ~7,100'

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2009, 5:03pm

Quote from bikerteam on Apr 6th, 2009, 4:59pm:
Wow, did anyone notice the elevation on the Motionbased links that Bryan sent?  Even though there is a 500' difference, this still ranks Spanish Fort as one of the highest elevation gain 200k Permanents in the LSR books.  

Bryan - ~6,600'
Shellene - ~7,100'

The difference in numbers is 'cause I climb faster Smiley

Bryan
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2009, 6:45pm

Must be something else because mine showed Elevation Gain (ft) +6,104 / -6,231  Wink

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7938064

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009, 6:46pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2009, 8:09pm

Quote from evblazer on Apr 6th, 2009, 9:39am:
Too much sun, no sun screen

Ok Mark, I know you had just met me, but from now on you should know that I carry sunscreen almost every ride and I am always happy to share!

Shellene

IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2009, 8:15pm

Quote from evblazer on Apr 6th, 2009, 6:45pm:
Must be something else because mine showed Elevation Gain (ft) +6,104 / -6,231  Wink

I think your numbers are different since you are so much closer to the ground Smiley

Bryan
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2009, 8:27pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Apr 6th, 2009, 8:15pm:
Quote from evblazer on Apr 6th, 2009, 6:45pm:

I think your numbers are different since you are so much closer to the ground Smiley

LMAO, his elevation is less all the way around, huh...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2009, 10:34pm

The last time I did it, the garmin showed 4500 climbing, and I KNEW that was a lie!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print