Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I must be living right (Read 522 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

I must be living right
Mar 29th, 2009, 8:36pm

Becauee I'm alive and unscratched, y'see!

It was actually a good ride, and fun.  Almost no dogs, and even fewer cars.  Bluebonnets everywhere.  Funny item:  had a squirrel decide to run in front of me, so I was chasing him own for 50 yards.  Little sucker was hauling rodent butt.  He wouldn't get off the road till I yelled at him!  Hardly any wind until I got about 60 miles into the ride.

Started MM tour a half hour late.  I was not as prepared for things when I went to bed, and I also woke up unable to breathe and had to do a little hauling of the tail to make the first control, which I did by a whopping 5 minutes.  Along the way, I nearly upchucked about 8 times.  I always breathe through my nose when I ride, partially because my mouth dries easily and makes me gag.    Usually riding opens me up, but not today for some reason.  Spent most of the day riding slower than normal and would crank it up during the times I could breathe correctly.

Spent most of my time until maypearl taking wrong turns.  I had the garmin but couldn't see it too well sometimes, and kept making turns I should have because I always turn there on OTHER rides!   Grin  So I ended with around 5 bonus miles.  

That stretch bewteen Maypearl and Italy always kills me though.  It's not the hills just the tiny roads and such.  I dunno why.  Thankfully, Steve, there were no dogs to attack my up that little steep thing.  My garmin shows it at 15%, but it felt a little steeper.  Either way I just barely managed it in the middle ring and the 28t cog.

Coming down lake ridge I felt the bit between my teeth and hit 42mph.  Surprisingly, I never really spun out.  I was pedaling FAST and then I had the weirdest sensation that the bike was outrunning my body and pushing me from behind.  It was weird.  FUN though.

One thing about the carbent:  it is much like a lowracer in that the faster you go, the more stable it gets.  At 42mph it likes to stay perfectly in line.  WAY different that the carbon aero 1.0 was.

I crested the next hill in front of the school at 34mph when the front tire blew out.  Full to flat instantly.  Amazingly, the bike tracked prety close to a straight lie until I could get her stopped.  Thankfully.  I wouldn've hated a wipeout just then.  Replacing the tire took me forever, as usual.  Pumped 'er back up and hustled into the barn.  I ran between 25-33 the whole way down lake ridge, thanks to a bit of a tailwind, and maybe only had 4-5 cars on the road behind me.  That was a joy.

So, fun ride.  Never got frustrated in spite of the problems I had and the 10 hours it took to complete the course.  Missed you guys though.  Should have been the last ride needed for the r-12,.

Thanks to having the garmin accidentally not records for a while between control 1 and 2, my stats are a bit off, but it shows:

125.92 miles
7:05 hours on bike.
17.7 mph
3171 climbing.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Re: I must be living right
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2009, 9:39pm

Well done Greg. Way to stay positive. You overcame a lot.  Smiley

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2009, 9:43pm

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Mar 29th, 2009, 9:39pm:
Well done Greg. Way to stay positive. You overcame a lot.  Smiley

Nah, it was all good.  I don't feel like I overcame anything.  Just feel lucky.  It was a nice ride.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009, 8:52am

Good job, Greg. Congrats on the R-12!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged