Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting ride and new bent rider! (Read 476 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Interesting ride and new bent rider!
Mar 17th, 2009, 9:28pm

After some frustrating attempts to get a x-sport rack to work I said screw it and took off down the trinity trail to at least do some intervals if I couldn't get any hill training done.  Went out to the Eastern end and turned around to go back, and took a section of the trail that Alexis and I only recently discovered.  Just before I arrived, I saw a big fat nutria, which i hadn't seen in a while.

It's not that great a stretch of road, but it is VERY well shaded and cool and runs right behind the hebrew cemetray, and there are some beautiful mausoleums there.  a Short stretch of chopseal and I'm on white settlement road.  It's got some traffic, but teo wide lanes gives cars plenty of room to get over.  I decided to try out wher white settlemtn goes and went all the way to where it connects with 183 / Alta Mere.  There were a couple good hills along the way.

oming back I cross a street that says "Burton Hill Road."  Too tempting to resist.  It's got a good mile or so run until the real climbing starts.  it goes from 7-10 percent for 3/4 mile.  I wasn't too gassed at the top thankfully, turned around and rode back to this newer section of the trinity trail right on the other side of Rockwood Park / Golf course.  It only goes a mile but has some nice hills as well, including one across a dam that must have been 8 percent.  Finished up this section going back up the other side of white settlement that has a 1/3 of a mile hill at around 6 percent, then back down rockwood aprk drive to tr trail.

Along the way I see a greek cafe open in the afternoons only that I'm going to try tomorrow, and I met a SUPER nice guy named George on a terratrike cruiser.  He'd had a brain tumor ten years ago and now has balance issues.  I gave him the website and invited him to the picnic.  

It was quite windy today.  Average was 17.3 I think - not bad for trail riding and all that hill-iciousness.  I know for a fact that the trail doesn't have more than a 120 feet of climbing, and I ended up with 1352.  Not too shabby for a day I thought would be wasted.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: Interesting ride and new bent rider!
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2009, 2:23pm

Greg:  When you get to the top of Burton Hill, turn right on Byers and go about .5 miles to intersection with Roaring Springs and turn right on Roaring Springs.  It's a long (.75 mile) downhill from there that is a blast.  Roaring Springs eventually ends up at White Settlement (there's a QT gas station at the intersection), or you can turn right off Roaring Springs through the neighborhood (Dennis is a thru street good for this) and intersect Burton Hill and do it again.
I grew up about 2 blocks off Burton Hill.  Parents still live there.
Also, if you really want a challenging climb, right where Burton Hill starts climbing in earnest is a street called Merrick on your left.  It's a lot steeper than Burton Hill.  I'm pretty sure I'm not strong enough to take a bent up Merrick.  It ends up at Byers too.  But don't try to go down it.  A couple of kids from High School days were killed trying to bike down Merrick.

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2009, 2:27pm by robert.j »  

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Interesting ride and new bent rider!
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2009, 5:55pm

Robert you are the man!  Now I know exactly how to plan my hill training days!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print