Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Fe Trail (Read 1009 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Santa Fe Trail
Mar 8th, 2009, 11:36am

Out riding on Saturday morning, I decided to check out the open section of the new Santa Fe trail. This will eventually connect White Rock to Fair Park, following the old railroad right of way. The open section of trail extends from Carroll Avenue up to Glasgow Drive, just behind Woodrow Wilson High School. Unlike the Katy Trail, the engineers of the SF  have created a path that meanders back and forth in a serpentine pattern. I presume this is either because they think straight-line pathways are too boring or they decided that the curves will mandate a slower, safer speed from riders using the path. I'm not sure which is correct, but I couldn't think of any other reason to add curves where there is no physical reason for them to be. Be that as it may, the ride was easy and gives a nice hint of the potential of the entire trail once completed. One very significant caveat to consider before riding this trail: apparently residents of this neighborhood find great nocturnal amusement in disposing of their empty beer bottles (by throwing them from the roadway) onto the bike path. Santa Fe Street runs right alongside the path. There is an constant  array of broken glass all along the route that makes for some challenging moments of navigation. I ended up with a flat tire which cut my ride short for the day but,  ironically, the glass was not the culprit. In trying to avoid the glass, I picked up that dreaded scourge of bike tires everywhere, a goathead.  Had to call my husband for backup at that point. I got the flat repaired but couldn't get the tire reinflated. Lesson learned - need to purchase a better frame pump.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Santa Fe Trail
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2009, 9:40pm

The GDB club rode that trail section a couple months ago, and somebody had dumped a COUCH alongside it...  not to mention the glass, as well... Angry Sad  Sadly, it's gonna take the neighborhood itself to get that stuff stopped, somehow...

i might recommend the Topeak "Road Morph" pump...  it has a flip-out section that lets you set it on the ground as a foot-anchored pump, and a small (i.e., hard for us old folks to read) pressure gauge as well...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2009, 10:04pm

It's really a shame what happens to trails in urban neighborhoods. Rose and I started out riding on the Fish Creek Park trail which is near our house. It's a beautiful bike path, but it suffers from those same problems.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2009, 10:19am

i might recommend the Topeak "Road Morph" pump...  it has a flip-out section that lets you set it on the ground as a foot-anchored pump, and a small (i.e., hard for us old folks to read) pressure gauge as well... [/quote]

I have been evaluating the merits of the Road Morph G against the Turbo Morph. Haven't made up my mind yet, but both seem to be generally well reviewed. I've been carrying a CO2 pump but I don't care for it at all. My particular model is awkward to use and it bent my presta valve. Just a tad annoying... Angry

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2009, 3:15pm

Quote from Patti on Mar 9th, 2009, 10:19am:

i might recommend the Topeak "Road Morph" pump...  it has a flip-out section that lets you set it on the ground as a foot-anchored pump, and a small (i.e., hard for us old folks to read) pressure gauge as well...

I have been evaluating the merits of the Road Morph G against the Turbo Morph. Haven't made up my mind yet, but both seem to be generally well reviewed. I've been carrying a CO2 pump but I don't care for it at all. My particular model is awkward to use and it bent my presta valve. Just a tad annoying... Angry [/quote]

agreed, the Road Morph is the best pump I've ever used

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2009, 3:19pm

Quote from mleuck on Mar 9th, 2009, 3:15pm:

+2  since I actually have 2! mounted on my Hurricane  Grin
G's that is.

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2009, 3:20pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2009, 9:26am

Done. Ordered a Road Morph G from Amazon, $29.99 w free shipping. Less than RBM and none of the aggravation.  Smiley

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2009, 9:43am

Quote from evblazer on Mar 9th, 2009, 3:19pm:

G's that is.

2? One for each tire?  Smiley

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2009, 9:51am

Quote from mleuck on Mar 10th, 2009, 9:43am:
Quote from evblazer on Mar 9th, 2009, 3:19pm:

G's that is.

2? One for each tire?  Smiley

Some people carry a micro pump to backup their co2. I carry a pump to backup my pump  Cool I guess I should leave one on schreader and one on presta though that way one can easily refil my horn or some homies BMX tire.

Actually I just threw it on for my 400k just in case I had a pump problem and was in the middle of nowhere.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print