Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Commuting on the Merckx (Read 919 times)
AustinSkater

Commuting on the Merckx
Mar 4th, 2009, 7:42pm

Wait a second, this is rbent, why am I talking about my Diamond Frame?

After spending 6 weeks rehabbing my back (actually just letting it rest) and using that time riding my Corsa I decided I'd chance a one-way commute today (Shellene dropped me off at work this morning).  After work, I rode home with the following thoughts:

1.  Dang, this padding sure feels funny!
2.  Hmmmm, I can't see my feet.
3.  Oh yeah, on a turn the inside foot goes up, not straight
4.  My helmet mirror is in the wrong position.
5.  Well, it is easier to stop and start
6.  Great, a cop on my tail in a 20 MPH zone
7.  Wow, my cadence has improved!
8.  Back feels fine, next week try a longer ride.

All in all a good ride, but I actually missed being on the Corsa.  I do know that I need to put in more miles on the DF though, since I intend to be riding both in the future.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Commuting on the Merckx
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2009, 9:30pm

Nice work1  I think having DF and bent is the best of both worlds.  It wasn't long before I shelved the Df for anything but cross training and tris, but no reason the two can't peacefully coexist.  I think every high mileage cyclist ought to have one especially for the reasons you describe.  There's a reason so many long time DF riders have such bad necks and backs, not to mention other male-specific problems.  Having the bent ought to keep you healthier longer, IMO.  

I take it you both are still enjoying them?  How is Shellene coming along?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009, 9:42pm

Good stuff, Bryan. There seem to be so few strong riders who split time between recumbents and uprights, it will be interesting hearing your thoughts and comparisons over time.

We haven't heard much out of Shellene. I take it that you have more internet geek tendencies than her? How is she enjoying her bike?

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2009, 9:43pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2009, 8:57am

One of the interesting comparisons to me is psychological:  I "feel" slower on the Corsa.  I'll be cruising along thinking that I'm going slow, look at the GPS and see 20MPH.  It just seems like a more relaxed ride.

Being on the Corsa has already improved my cadence; I normally pushed a big gear at about 80 RPM, but yesterday it felt natural pushing 95 RPM.  I have a single-speed that I geared for cadence work, but the Corsa is much better for that.

It will be an interesting experiment switching between the 'bent and the DF.  This weekends objective is to see how much hurt I can take on the Corsa over 300k.

My job has me online most of the day, so I do geek more than Shellene does.  Sadly, she is dealing with tendonitis at this time, but will hopefully be back on the bike soon Sad

Bryan
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2009, 9:37am

These south winds make certain sections of my morning commute very nice, as I can hit 25+ without too much effort...  Drivers tend to give you a little more R-E-S-P-E-C-T when you're up at that speed.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2009, 2:12pm

Sadly the majority of the northern part of my route includes an active school zone, so I don't even get that benefit.

Respect is interesting, I seem to get more of it on the DF than I do on the 'bent.  Of course, I've only commuted this route once on the DF, so it's hard to judge.

Bryan
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2009, 2:31pm

Just don't put a flag on your bent I found it really really agitates a very select few drivers similar to a red cape with a angry bull.  
 Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2009, 2:38pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2009, 3:13pm

I think you'll find the opposite.  I have ridden the same courses at the sme time on both bent and df, and on the DF cars buzzed me.  I got boucoups more room to breathe on the bent.

Quote from AustinSkater on Mar 5th, 2009, 2:12pm:
Sadly the majority of the northern part of my route includes an active school zone, so I don't even get that benefit.

Respect is interesting, I seem to get more of it on the DF than I do on the 'bent.  Of course, I've only commuted this route once on the DF, so it's hard to judge.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2009, 5:43pm

I get treated way different on each of my bikes. When I was riding the MTB with slicks I got run over at somewhere between 45 and 65. That took some recovery time. When I was riding the Stratus I got lots of space, especially with the Honkin' Huge Tailighttm and the big white cargo box. Now that I'm riding the Fusion sometimes I get treated to lots of room, sometimes I get treated like I'm Mexican and riding a low-rider (I understand a little Spanish but with the Doppler shift it's trickier than English), and sometimes I get treated like I did on the MTB before I got hit (get that bike on the sidewalk!)

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print