Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:22am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first training ride! (Read 512 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

My first training ride!
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:12pm

My coach wanted me to do a short ride to establisha basebline heart rate and average speed.   Since we're having the TAKS test tomorrow there was no baseball practice today and I jumped on my bike, though I had felt slightly ill all day.  The trinity wasn't the best for this test, but it'll do.  I warmed up for 15 minutes and then hit the garmin to record.

My only instruction was to warm up and go 20 minutes at the max HR I could sustain.  I wasn't sure exactly how to do this.  Do I go balls out and let me HR drop as I gasp for breath, or just go for what I think I can do for 20 minutes straight?  I didn't have a chance to talk to coach pruitt beforehand.  

I ended up just trying to see if I could keep it at 150.  Turned out to be a non-issue because I was flying at a pretty dangerous speed for that HR on the trail.  I went out with the wind and was zipping along at times at 25mph.  Turrns, walkers, dogs, and bumps and bridges kept me about a 20.5 average when I turned around 10 minutes later.  Against the wind my speed slowed down and the HR went up a bit.  

Ended up like this:
total for the ride was almost 16 miles exactly.
for my 20 minutes timing period, I had a AVG heart rate of 147 bpm and 20.0 average speed.

No idea what this means.  I feel sure I could have maintained 155-160 the entire 20 minutes no problem.  Soon as I slowed up my HR dropped right down to 125-135.  Still had plenty gas left in the tank.

Still, it's fun to have a goal and have a coach.  At least now I don't feel like I'll be bumbling my way through everything this year!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: My first training ride!
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 9:17am

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:12pm:
 At least now I don't feel like I'll be bumbling my way through everything this year!

You'd have to ask Alexis about that.....    Smiley

You're right, though, the Trinity Trail isn't the best course for that kind of evaluation...

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2009, 9:18am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009, 9:51pm

dammit, I knew I'd screwed it up.    Looks like i have to do it all over again.  Hopefully I can fit it in somewhere this weekend or early next week.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2009, 6:29pm

Ran headfirst into this wind to re-do the test.  Most of the time it was a quartering headwind so I was still able to keep my speed up for the most part.

i did 35 miles, but for the 20 minutes of training:

6.92 miles, 156 average bpm, max of 168.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print