Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bartonville Critical Mass - LOL.. (Read 2214 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Bartonville Critical Mass - LOL..
Feb 28th, 2009, 4:20pm

You'd think I was the ring leader of some critical mass ride or something. About 20 folks went up to argyle coffee shop for a little socializing and then went out to paradise and back through Bartonville to the start in Flower Mound. Little did anyone know that a Bartonville police SUV was filming us all the way from 377 on Frenchtown road.

There were a few new riders and it was really really windy so long range communication wasn't too well. I was the assumed ride leader because I wasn't wearing a coat so had my club jersey in full view plus I had once or twice gone from the back to the front when we were going to hit a turn and someone new was in front. Then I'd wait till all to pass and in a couple more miles end up doing the same thing. I'm in front talking to a new guy and we hear a loudspeaker and I look back and everyone was already to the right and I couldnt' make anything out. I figured it was just some kids with a CB and loudspeaker but a minute or so later as I'm going 37 I see a big black SUV and the pull in behind me and activate their light bar.
 Smiley Smiley
I was thinking if I blew a stop sign or did something but really I sort of didn't do anything wrong that he wanted to talk about. When I was in the back I did see alot of 3-5 people  side by side however if there is a car approaching we always go single file. I did break the 2 abreast rule when I was passing and crossed the yellow line to pass, just like a car would, so I could communicate to the new rider up front because he was a good 100ft from everyone. He mentioned a few things that I just thought I'd pass on but everyone probably already knows.
-Ride at most two side by side
-Stay to on the right side of the road
-On two lane roads maybe unpair (which we did) until traffic clears up.

Things that concern me or I'm unsure of.
-Don't pass people going two side by side. If that were the case cars shouldn't be able to do it?
-Bartonville has on the agenda to restrict bicycle traffic on certain roads at certain times of the day (most likely commute times) - I kind of wish I had to pass through there for my commute because I'd love to go to court over that ticket (if the ordinance gets passed)

I am going to pass this on to the local clubs and my LBS who sponsers the jersey I was wearing  Smiley  

He probably has me on video giogn back and forth like the do in nascar races to warm up their tires on a yellow flag. There were a few times I was in back and there were a bunch of people side by side behind me so I'd go from the right to the left of the lane over and over, still all on the right side.

Note: The office was very nice. He just wanted to give me a background and let me know what we did which was questionable and they were going start writing tickets. Also it was nice we got a heads up on a possible ordinance that they might be passing.

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2009, 4:22pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Bartonville Critical Mass - LOL..
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2009, 4:39pm

Unbelievable. Tax dollars at work! I'm thinking that area isn't so great to ride thru(with Double Oak cops watching every move  cyclists make at stop signs).  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2009, 4:40pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Feb 28th, 2009, 4:39pm:
Unbelievable. Tax dollars at work! I'm thinking that area isn't so great to ride thru(with Double Oak cops watching every move  cyclists make at stop signs).  Smiley

That brings back fond memories of the first time I was pulled over _ever_ by a police officer. In double oak at 4 am or so in the morning  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2009, 4:41pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2009, 5:06pm

You mentioned a coffee shop in Argyle( I know we've ridden to this coffee shop with Ray in the past) ,you would think all the cops would hang out there...wait ,I don't remember seeing any donuts on the menu.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2009, 6:10pm

I hope I wasn't the reason for them watching stop signs  Grin

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2009, 7:54pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:55am

Quote from mleuck on Feb 28th, 2009, 6:10pm:

Well they did mention a silver street luge being a problem so it could be.
Twas weird they really kicked it up for a while ticketing everyone and everything that rolled a stop sign and now cars, trucks, suvs, bicycles and everything else can just blow by the ones in the school zones in front of the PD with no problem. They stopped enforcement right around when the new mayor got elected  Smiley

Now they just go for people going 40 west of chin chappel, you can do 40 east of chin chappel. They don't seem to care if I hit 35 or even when the cars pass me when I'm doing 30+  the speed limit is 30. Actually even in the school zone during school zone hours I can be going 20 and get passed and that is ok. I guess cars really do get exemption from all laws if they have to pass a bicycle  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2009, 1:31pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 2:47pm

Quote from evblazer on Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:55am:
Quote from mleuck on Feb 28th, 2009, 6:10pm:

Well they did mention a silver street luge being a problem so it could be.
Twas weird they really kicked it up for a while ticketing everyone and everything that rolled a stop sign and now cars, trucks, suvs, bicycles and everything else can just blow by the ones in the school zones in front of the PD with no problem. They stopped enforcement right around when the new mayor got elected  Smiley

Now they just go for people going 40 west of chin chappel, you can do 40 east of chin chappel. They don't seem to care if I hit 35 or even when the cars pass me when I'm doing 30+  the speed limit is 30. Actually even in the school zone during school zone hours I can be going 20 and get passed and that is ok. I guess cars really do get exemption from all laws if they have to pass a bicycle  Smiley

Only thing I ever noticed was the signs referring to rolling stops on the Kings road/Lusk/Simmons intersections, even then I think I saw maybe one cop monitoring traffic there once last fall, other than that I've rarely seen them. West Flower Mound on Shiloh going TO Double Oak seems to be much more active.  

If anything they seem to think I'm more of a curiosity than anything else, maybe you guys just need to ride Barons instead  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print